Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone on here play/played alto sax? 01:58 - Jan 22 with 1693 viewsRyorry

Borrowed an old instrument from a neighbour but it came with a bust neckstrap, so not really able to sus out whether the weight, playing position etc pose a strain on the neck? (I have spinal problems & my back isn't the straightest). Also have some arthritis in hands which mean knuckles aren't the straightest or most flexible. Would these things present a big problem if I wanted to learn properly? (get lessons or buy an instrument - have to hand this loaned one back in a couple of days).

Cheers if you can help!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Anyone on here play/played alto sax? on 08:48 - Jan 22 with 1632 viewsfactual_blue

Presumably a bust neckstrap is one designed specifically for ladies?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Anyone on here play/played alto sax? on 09:37 - Jan 22 with 1613 viewsEdwardStone

No experience learning sax, but I did enquire once. An acquaintance who played sax to a high standard reckoned that the best way to learn from scratch was to learn the clarinet first

Then after 3 or 4 years when you are comfortable with clarinet, retrain onto sax

For a further couple of years.

Bit of a long term project, he reckoned.

Really cool tho' , if you can play well
Anyone on here play/played alto sax? on 10:02 - Jan 22 with 1600 viewsgerard1947

Really cool instrument but not one I've mastered. If it were me I'd check online for local woodwind teachers. If the instrument hasn't been played for a bit it will possibly need a new reed too.

I've a bit of a musical background and I've taught myself a few different instruments, the ones that beat me were the piano accordion and flute.

Check online re the strap you'll probably find replacements aren't that expensive.
Anyone on here play/played alto sax? on 10:14 - Jan 22 with 1588 viewsRyorry

Anyone on here play/played alto sax? on 10:02 - Jan 22 by gerard1947

Really cool instrument but not one I've mastered. If it were me I'd check online for local woodwind teachers. If the instrument hasn't been played for a bit it will possibly need a new reed too.

I've a bit of a musical background and I've taught myself a few different instruments, the ones that beat me were the piano accordion and flute.

Check online re the strap you'll probably find replacements aren't that expensive.

Gonna fashion myself some kind of alternative strap today, but suspect it'll still end up too heavy & too much of a pull on my neck. A kind soul who has just PM'd me suggested soprano sax may be better, so will probably give that a try via a hire or finding local tutor. I did get a note out of this one last night tho! so think the reed's OK.

I tried flute a few years ago, but found the neck angle no good for me - albeit that was before I had surgery on my neck - might be better now, but I'd still be reluctant to push it.

The only other instrument I feel interested in learning is - the accordion!! haha

Anyone on here play/played alto sax? on 10:35 - Jan 22 with 1573 viewsgerard1947

Anyone on here play/played alto sax? on 10:14 - Jan 22 by Ryorry

Gonna fashion myself some kind of alternative strap today, but suspect it'll still end up too heavy & too much of a pull on my neck. A kind soul who has just PM'd me suggested soprano sax may be better, so will probably give that a try via a hire or finding local tutor. I did get a note out of this one last night tho! so think the reed's OK.

I tried flute a few years ago, but found the neck angle no good for me - albeit that was before I had surgery on my neck - might be better now, but I'd still be reluctant to push it.

The only other instrument I feel interested in learning is - the accordion!! haha

Just a thought, why don't you treat yourself to a flageolet (posh name for a penny whistle). They are very cheap to buy, easy to learn, won't upset the neighbours but might drive the dog nuts. It might be a decent way to see how your hands react too.

If you order one they come in various keys, I'd get one in C if I were you. You'll find how to play online or perhaps invest in a cheap book. I'll guarantee you'll be knocking out a tune the day you get it.

The accordion I thought would be easy, I can play the piano a bit. I found playing the accordion like rubbing your tum whilst tapping your head x 100!
Anyone on here play/played alto sax? on 10:48 - Jan 22 with 1563 viewshoppy

I vaguely remember there being someone that said he liked ‘doing the sax’ some while back. Sorry I can’t remember who it was now though.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Anyone on here play/played alto sax? on 10:55 - Jan 22 with 1557 viewsRyorry

Anyone on here play/played alto sax? on 10:35 - Jan 22 by gerard1947

Just a thought, why don't you treat yourself to a flageolet (posh name for a penny whistle). They are very cheap to buy, easy to learn, won't upset the neighbours but might drive the dog nuts. It might be a decent way to see how your hands react too.

If you order one they come in various keys, I'd get one in C if I were you. You'll find how to play online or perhaps invest in a cheap book. I'll guarantee you'll be knocking out a tune the day you get it.

The accordion I thought would be easy, I can play the piano a bit. I found playing the accordion like rubbing your tum whilst tapping your head x 100!

Very good idea re penny whistle, might just get one of those, cheers!

Anyone on here play/played alto sax? on 10:58 - Jan 22 with 1554 viewsRyorry

Anyone on here play/played alto sax? on 10:48 - Jan 22 by hoppy

I vaguely remember there being someone that said he liked ‘doing the sax’ some while back. Sorry I can’t remember who it was now though.

Are you sure s/he hadn't simply spelled "sax" incorrectly ...?

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone on here play/played alto sax? on 11:01 - Jan 22 with 1550 viewsgerard1947

Anyone on here play/played alto sax? on 10:55 - Jan 22 by Ryorry

Very good idea re penny whistle, might just get one of those, cheers!

Won't break the bank, you can get one delivered for less than a tenner!
Anyone on here play/played alto sax? on 11:06 - Jan 22 with 1545 viewsRyorry

Anyone on here play/played alto sax? on 11:01 - Jan 22 by gerard1947

Won't break the bank, you can get one delivered for less than a tenner!

Any recommendations for make?

Anyone on here play/played alto sax? on 11:25 - Jan 22 with 1537 viewsgerard1947

Anyone on here play/played alto sax? on 11:06 - Jan 22 by Ryorry

Any recommendations for make?

Have a look on eBay, get one in the key of c or d, they’re a decent size. I’ve had a look I’d go for one with good feedback. The instruments are much of muchness and good enough to learn on.

If you’ve ever been to Ireland you will have heard someone playing one in bar somewhere.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024