Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swedens new 'electric' road 16:00 - Apr 13 with 3467 viewsNo9

Just outside Stokholm and interesting development in the progress of electric vehicles.

https://inhabitat.com/worlds-first-electric-road-that-charges-moving-vehicles-de
Swedens new 'electric' road on 16:16 - Apr 13 with 3438 viewsClapham_Junction

South Korea built something like this about five years ago, but the charging was done wirelessly via a magnetic field.
Swedens new 'electric' road on 16:18 - Apr 13 with 3432 viewsNo9

Swedens new 'electric' road on 16:16 - Apr 13 by Clapham_Junction

South Korea built something like this about five years ago, but the charging was done wirelessly via a magnetic field.

As does this one which the Swedes clainms is a world first & supersedes the overhead version which you may be referring to?
Swedens new 'electric' road on 16:54 - Apr 13 with 3397 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Combine it with this would be ideal:
https://www.sciencealert.com/solar-roads-in-the-netherlands-are-working-even-bet

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Swedens new 'electric' road on 16:58 - Apr 13 with 3388 viewsNo9

Swedens new 'electric' road on 16:54 - Apr 13 by Nthsuffolkblue

Combine it with this would be ideal:
https://www.sciencealert.com/solar-roads-in-the-netherlands-are-working-even-bet

That report is dated 2015 so there could be significant improvements?
Swedens new 'electric' road on 17:14 - Apr 13 with 3379 viewsPendejo

Where did they get that idea from?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Swedens new 'electric' road on 17:15 - Apr 13 with 3375 viewsNo9

Swedens new 'electric' road on 17:14 - Apr 13 by Pendejo

The clue is - No Overtaking
Swedens new 'electric' road on 17:23 - Apr 13 with 3364 viewstcblue

It's a cool concept but it isn't really needed with the way battery tech and charging ultracapacitors are coming on.

What IS needed, certainly in this country, is a decent charging network infrastructure.
Swedens new 'electric' road on 17:24 - Apr 13 with 3359 viewsNo9

Swedens new 'electric' road on 17:23 - Apr 13 by tcblue

It's a cool concept but it isn't really needed with the way battery tech and charging ultracapacitors are coming on.

What IS needed, certainly in this country, is a decent charging network infrastructure.

& roads that don't shake lightweight vehicles to bits
Login to get fewer ads

Swedens new 'electric' road on 17:27 - Apr 13 with 3355 viewsBloomBlue

Swedens new 'electric' road on 17:14 - Apr 13 by Pendejo

That will be dangerous at the next corner you'll see one of those cars flying off into the air
Swedens new 'electric' road on 17:41 - Apr 13 with 3345 viewsSwansea_Blue

Swedens new 'electric' road on 17:23 - Apr 13 by tcblue

Still need more range. We very briefly looked at the Passat estate recently. Fine for running round town, but you buy a big car for family runs to relatives, holidays etc. A 50 mile limit is pretty useless then and the underpowered petrol engine has crap economy. For us it would have been useless. Got a big diesel A6 instead. 50+ mpg compared to mid 30s.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Swedens new 'electric' road on 17:51 - Apr 13 with 3336 viewsNo9

Swedens new 'electric' road on 17:41 - Apr 13 by Swansea_Blue

Still need more range. We very briefly looked at the Passat estate recently. Fine for running round town, but you buy a big car for family runs to relatives, holidays etc. A 50 mile limit is pretty useless then and the underpowered petrol engine has crap economy. For us it would have been useless. Got a big diesel A6 instead. 50+ mpg compared to mid 30s.

If you do a lot of miles a diesel is still the best option.
Swedens new 'electric' road on 17:55 - Apr 13 with 3323 viewstcblue

Yeah, that's got maybe 5 year old battery tech in it, I'm afraid. Even the new ones.
Swedens new 'electric' road on 19:46 - Apr 13 with 3268 viewsNo9

Swedens new 'electric' road on 17:55 - Apr 13 by tcblue

Yeah, that's got maybe 5 year old battery tech in it, I'm afraid. Even the new ones.

What about the claims being made by Teslar?
And how would the new energy systems being developed by Merc fit into the equation?
Swedens new 'electric' road on 15:35 - Apr 15 with 3122 viewstcblue

Swedens new 'electric' road on 19:46 - Apr 13 by No9

What about the claims being made by Teslar?
And how would the new energy systems being developed by Merc fit into the equation?

Which claims? The one which I've seen - and it's an important one - is the battery efficiency at only 10% loss after 160,000 miles.
Swedens new 'electric' road on 15:44 - Apr 15 with 3106 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Swedens new 'electric' road on 17:51 - Apr 13 by No9

If you do a lot of miles a diesel is still the best option.

I only do lots of short journeys now so switched from a diesel that did 50 real world mpg to a petrol that does 45 theoretical. Turns out that means 31 mpg in the real world.

The real reason for saying you need to do long runs in a diesel is that you need them to recycle the DPF. In reality the occasional motorway run sorts that out
Swedens new 'electric' road on 15:50 - Apr 15 with 3096 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Swedens new 'electric' road on 15:35 - Apr 15 by tcblue

Which claims? The one which I've seen - and it's an important one - is the battery efficiency at only 10% loss after 160,000 miles.

Is that at peak operating potential though I.e not letting the charge drop below 40%, not leaving the car unused for more than a couple of days, etc?
Swedens new 'electric' road on 16:13 - Apr 15 with 3072 viewsClapham_Junction

Swedens new 'electric' road on 16:18 - Apr 13 by No9

As does this one which the Swedes clainms is a world first & supersedes the overhead version which you may be referring to?

That's not what the article implies from what I can work out. It reads as if it's a physical connection to an underground rail - ie how London trams used to be powered.

The S Korean version was not overhead wires (although that has been done in Sweden). It was a strip in the road that vehicles drove over to charge.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-23603751
Swedens new 'electric' road on 16:20 - Apr 15 with 3059 viewsClapham_Junction

The biggest flaw in the rollout of EVs was going down the recharging route, which cripples range in most cases. Had the battery replacement option been used, I think takeup would have been much faster, as (as long as enough replacement stations are built) range is effectively unlimited.
Swedens new 'electric' road on 16:27 - Apr 15 with 3047 viewstcblue

Swedens new 'electric' road on 15:50 - Apr 15 by FrowsyArmLarry

Is that at peak operating potential though I.e not letting the charge drop below 40%, not leaving the car unused for more than a couple of days, etc?

Both of those sound unlikely, although there's clearly optimal ways to extend battery life during charging cycles over time.

Source?
Swedens new 'electric' road on 16:30 - Apr 15 with 3044 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Swedens new 'electric' road on 16:27 - Apr 15 by tcblue

Both of those sound unlikely, although there's clearly optimal ways to extend battery life during charging cycles over time.

Source?

It was a question. That’s how it is for phones, but the technology in cars may now be more advanced than Lion. That’s what I was asking (yes I know I could google it but can’t be arsed)
Swedens new 'electric' road on 16:58 - Apr 15 with 3009 viewstcblue

Swedens new 'electric' road on 16:30 - Apr 15 by FrowsyArmLarry

It was a question. That’s how it is for phones, but the technology in cars may now be more advanced than Lion. That’s what I was asking (yes I know I could google it but can’t be arsed)

I lost my reply, I wrote a load of stuff but TL;DR version is, broadly yes, charging regularly and only up to 80% (unless you have a very long journey, so for normal daily use) is good for your EV batteries.
Swedens new 'electric' road on 17:15 - Apr 15 with 2991 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Swedens new 'electric' road on 16:58 - Apr 15 by tcblue

I lost my reply, I wrote a load of stuff but TL;DR version is, broadly yes, charging regularly and only up to 80% (unless you have a very long journey, so for normal daily use) is good for your EV batteries.

Lol, it’s bloody annoying when that happens. Keep meaning to do some reading about it as we only have 12 years of proper car sales left (which is just crazy IMO)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024