Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hive mind travel part 2.... 18:46 - Oct 8 with 1984 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Half term aint happening, however.....considering Cuba 2 weeks in April/Easter as a 'once in a lifetime'. Any tips on getting there cheaply(relatively) and seeing something of the real country plus relaxation time? Thanks.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Hive mind travel part 2.... on 19:10 - Oct 8 with 1967 viewsfactual_blue

By cargo ship?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Hive mind travel part 2.... on 19:14 - Oct 8 with 1956 viewsericclacton

Hive mind travel part 2.... on 19:10 - Oct 8 by factual_blue

By cargo ship?

Escargot.

Hive mind travel part 2.... on 19:15 - Oct 8 with 1953 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Hive mind travel part 2.... on 19:10 - Oct 8 by factual_blue

By cargo ship?

Plenty of relaxation time......one to consider. Any tips Newcy?

Hive mind travel part 2.... on 19:43 - Oct 8 with 1925 viewsWacko

Check out Thomas Cook to Holguin, think you can get returns for about 400 quid (I got a one way from Holguin to Manchester for 150 a couple of years ago, came in from Panama)

My trip consisted of a road trip from Havana to Santiago via Trinidad and Camaguey with one day in Holguin at the end. Hired a car fairly easily and found nice casa particulars along the way. I wouldn't call it a trip of a lifetime as it's quite a depressing country and there are a lot of people trying to scam you, but you certainly see authentic sides to it by driving. And for relaxation I heard Baracoa is amazing (never went) or there's also a resort near Holguin (hence the TC presence)

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Hive mind travel part 2.... on 19:51 - Oct 8 with 1923 viewsfactual_blue

Hive mind travel part 2.... on 19:15 - Oct 8 by BanksterDebtSlave

Plenty of relaxation time......one to consider. Any tips Newcy?

You can work your passage.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Hive mind travel part 2.... on 21:28 - Oct 8 with 1872 viewsFixed_It

Hive mind travel part 2.... on 19:51 - Oct 8 by factual_blue

You can work your passage.

Oooeerr!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Hive mind travel part 2.... on 21:33 - Oct 8 with 1871 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Hive mind travel part 2.... on 21:28 - Oct 8 by Fixed_It

Oooeerr!

Hive mind travel part 2.... on 22:44 - Oct 8 with 1823 viewscatch74

Can’t help with the cheap travel - although skyscanner usually gives a good idea of best dates/prices. I have been and absolutely loved it, it was about 15 years ago and we got a great deal but meant we flew back through a hurricane - possibly the scariest moment of my life.
We went to the Cayos, Cuba had started focusing on tourism and we probably went to where this was most focused. We stayed near to one of Hemmingway’s favourite haunts, the people were amazing, fantastic service, stunning wildlife - if you’re in to diving there’s a huge reef there to explore. I remember the food being great, loads of music everywhere and we went on some great excursions, to an old sugar plantain, through swamps on one of those hover boat things, saw flocks of flamingos etc etc We saw some of the classic Cuba by visiting Moron(!) - as someone had previously mentioned we were mobbed by beggars - but did see some of the classic Cuban cars, architecture etc.

BUT - we were about 2000 miles from Havana, which is a must visit - we didn’t go so I guess I’ll have to go back. In fact I really will, have fond memories of a beautiful place with amazing people.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Login to get fewer ads

Hive mind travel part 2.... on 23:13 - Oct 8 with 1808 viewsWacko

Hive mind travel part 2.... on 22:44 - Oct 8 by catch74

Can’t help with the cheap travel - although skyscanner usually gives a good idea of best dates/prices. I have been and absolutely loved it, it was about 15 years ago and we got a great deal but meant we flew back through a hurricane - possibly the scariest moment of my life.
We went to the Cayos, Cuba had started focusing on tourism and we probably went to where this was most focused. We stayed near to one of Hemmingway’s favourite haunts, the people were amazing, fantastic service, stunning wildlife - if you’re in to diving there’s a huge reef there to explore. I remember the food being great, loads of music everywhere and we went on some great excursions, to an old sugar plantain, through swamps on one of those hover boat things, saw flocks of flamingos etc etc We saw some of the classic Cuba by visiting Moron(!) - as someone had previously mentioned we were mobbed by beggars - but did see some of the classic Cuban cars, architecture etc.

BUT - we were about 2000 miles from Havana, which is a must visit - we didn’t go so I guess I’ll have to go back. In fact I really will, have fond memories of a beautiful place with amazing people.

15 years is a long time in Cuba - when I went two years ago the Americans were already coming, I'm sure it's even worse now.

Didn't go to any of your places but I'd say nowhere was the food particularly good - very limited resources and choice. Havana is a lovely place but very touristy and far more reminiscent of a typical warm European city like Barcelona or Lisbon, than anything authentically Cuban.

From what I discovered, there's a big divide between the north, US-facing, cities (richer whiter population, international airports) and the southern cities (poorer blacker population, apparently no international airports whatsoever). So that's a fairly handy trick for future tourists as to what kind of place they want to visit

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Hive mind travel part 2.... on 23:17 - Oct 8 with 1806 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Hive mind travel part 2.... on 22:44 - Oct 8 by catch74

Thanks for that.....I had to check the distance though! Cuba is longer than I thoight but........

Hive mind travel part 2.... on 23:28 - Oct 8 with 1798 viewsWeWereZombies

As mentioned elsewhere Thomas Cook can be surprisingly good for air fares. Went four years ago and just booked flight, had a panic about visas which Virgin ducked but Thomas Cook did sterling work to sort (although the Cuban embassy has a table at Gatwick departures to fill in for anyone who had missed that bit). Also booked a couple of nights in Havana by looking on Trip Advisor or Lonely Planet (can't remember which), once there the owner of the rooms knew someone in Viñales so we were sorted for three days there, she knew a psychologist in Cienfuegos so a couple of days there, he knew a dentist in Trinidad de Cuba etc.

We had a fantastic fortnight, highlights were Trinidad and it's salsa clubs, horseriding in Viñales, lots of fresh fruit and seafood....and mojitos at $1.

Travelled around by bus, coach and a couple of challenging but fun rail journeys.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Hive mind travel part 2.... on 06:52 - Oct 9 with 1741 viewsMeadowlark

We went last year. Used KLM air miles to get there via NWI/AMS and booked an AirBnB in Havana. Interesting city and pleased we went, but we really enjoyed the last few days when we moved out to an all inclusive resort on the coast.
We should have visited Trinidad de Cuba, but we had limited time.
Internet access is challenging and our phones did not work on the local provider.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2018 8:18]
Hive mind travel part 2.... on 07:53 - Oct 9 with 1718 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Hive mind travel part 2.... on 23:28 - Oct 8 by WeWereZombies

As mentioned elsewhere Thomas Cook can be surprisingly good for air fares. Went four years ago and just booked flight, had a panic about visas which Virgin ducked but Thomas Cook did sterling work to sort (although the Cuban embassy has a table at Gatwick departures to fill in for anyone who had missed that bit). Also booked a couple of nights in Havana by looking on Trip Advisor or Lonely Planet (can't remember which), once there the owner of the rooms knew someone in Viñales so we were sorted for three days there, she knew a psychologist in Cienfuegos so a couple of days there, he knew a dentist in Trinidad de Cuba etc.

We had a fantastic fortnight, highlights were Trinidad and it's salsa clubs, horseriding in Viñales, lots of fresh fruit and seafood....and mojitos at $1.

Travelled around by bus, coach and a couple of challenging but fun rail journeys.

Were you staying in these 'casa particular ' places......any idea of approximate nightly rates? Same for public transport ? Thanks! Kind of fancy the idea of a point and go holiday now young'un is a little older (13).

Hive mind travel part 2.... on 09:56 - Oct 9 with 1673 viewsWeWereZombies

Hive mind travel part 2.... on 07:53 - Oct 9 by BanksterDebtSlave

Were you staying in these 'casa particular ' places......any idea of approximate nightly rates? Same for public transport ? Thanks! Kind of fancy the idea of a point and go holiday now young'un is a little older (13).

Prices are from December 2014 when 1 CUC = £0.668

Taxi from airport to centre of Havana 25
Casa Particular for a double room per night 35
Bus to Viñales, each 12.50
Twenty spectacularly strong cigars from a farmer whilst out horseriding 30
Couple of hours horseriding, each 16.50
Casa Particular small double plus meals for two, per night 57
Bus from Viñales to Cienfuegos, each 32
Collectivo taxi for a days touring for a couple 35
Casa Particular in Cienfuegos, double room and meals 55
Bus from Cienfuegos to Trinidad, each 6 (also a 1 charge for baggage)
Casa Particular in Trinidad, lovely courtyard en-suite with meals, per night 48
Typical club admission in Trinidad 1
Bus from Trinidad to Cayo Santa Maria, each 20 (also 2 luggage charge)
All inclusive night at Cayo Santa Maria for two 129
Bus from Cayo Santa Maria to Santa Clara, each 13
Bed and breakfast in Santa Clara for couple 33
Train fare from Santa Clara to Matanzas (go to loo beforehand, there are toilets on the train but...), each 7
Hershey train to Havana, each 2.80
Muscle car ride along the Malecon 10

Lots of other small expenses for drinks, snacks, museums and so on. Fairly important to buy bus tickets the day before
[Post edited 9 Oct 2018 10:04]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Hive mind travel part 2.... on 10:36 - Oct 9 with 1648 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

I was in Cuba last year and would recommend, but it is certainly not for those who are used to certain luxuries (wifi, shopping etc.) We stayed on Cayo Coco which was beautiful, but solely for Tourists, so not really a fair representation as even hotel workers traveled too and from places like Santa Clara.

We spent a day in Havana which I would 100% recommend and wish we could have stayed for longer. In fact the journeys to places like Santa Clara and other places (even the airport) were very eye opening as you get to see the 'real' Cuba and the levels of poverty in certain places.

My recommendation would be to just book return flights to Havana (Which are pretty cheap) and book a hotel/airbnb separate and then organise a couple of excursion locally yourself.. Then maybe end with a few days at a beach resort (like Varadero) A colleague at work did this and sounded like a better 'experience' of Cuba and was pretty straightforward to do.
Hive mind travel part 2.... on 18:11 - Oct 9 with 1571 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Thanks for some really useful replies..........and Facters and Eric too!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024