Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I said at the time re Hurst 11:50 - Oct 26 with 1335 viewsitfcjoe

That as soon as Shrewsbury were in the play offs, and especially the final it should have ruled him out of the race here - the timelines just became far too squeezed.

Teams who win the play offs always say that the summer is so difficult, recruitment is on hold until you know what position you are in, pre season has to be tailored differently etc.

And that is when you are already in position at the club - to come into a new club, so late in the summer puts us and him too far on the back foot. The fact we had a vacancy on Easter Sunday meant we had to get someone in earlier than June.

I worried Hurst had been set up to fail at the time, he didn't do himself many favours - but was in a very difficult position.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I said at the time re Hurst on 11:56 - Oct 26 with 1277 viewsgroovyASH

It may have been a contributory factor, the truth is Hurst's mistakes go far beyond that. He had a complete lack of awareness to the effect the changes he was making had, and completely underestimated the step up in quality from L1 to Championship both for him as a manager and for the players he has brought in.

It was also abundantly clear he had no idea of his best team personel and tactically wise. The fact he wanted to wring even more changes to the club if his last days comments were anything to go by were alarming and sadly, while I want every manager to succeed when they are appointed, I am glad he has gone.

Poll: Will you renew your season ticket when Evans does the annual end of season beg?

I said at the time re Hurst on 11:57 - Oct 26 with 1267 viewsLeagueOne

Equally had Frank Lampard or Jack Ross wanted the job ahead of him, i'd have no doubts he'd never been taken on here. We'd waited too long to make a decision on Mick, then ended up with a situation where the ex-boss was running the side and we were far too slow to find a replacement and when the targets fell through, Hurst was the last popular choice available and we took it.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

I said at the time re Hurst on 11:58 - Oct 26 with 1255 viewsGuthrum

I said something similar, rather later on. It may have been the case that his plan was only roughly sketched out and he had nothing in reserve when it failed to work.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I said at the time re Hurst on 11:58 - Oct 26 with 1251 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Timing was possibly a contributing factor, but far from the primary factor.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I said at the time re Hurst on 11:59 - Oct 26 with 1235 viewsReuser_is_God

Yes, the worst thing about the Evans interview was that he'd put such a large time scale on the appointment.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

I said at the time re Hurst on 12:01 - Oct 26 with 1228 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I said at the time re Hurst on 11:57 - Oct 26 by LeagueOne

Equally had Frank Lampard or Jack Ross wanted the job ahead of him, i'd have no doubts he'd never been taken on here. We'd waited too long to make a decision on Mick, then ended up with a situation where the ex-boss was running the side and we were far too slow to find a replacement and when the targets fell through, Hurst was the last popular choice available and we took it.

Unless I’ve missed something history seems to be being re-written on Ross

As I understood it we never offered him the job on account of us wanting to speak to Hurst first. Ross decided not to wait and took the Sunderland job instead. It’s possible that we may have subsequently offered Ross the job after speaking to Hurst but it wasn’t a case that we had to settle for our second or third target - Hurst was firmly in our sights anyway

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

I said at the time re Hurst on 12:03 - Oct 26 with 1205 viewsReuser_is_God

I said at the time re Hurst on 12:01 - Oct 26 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

As I understood it we never offered him the job on account of us wanting to speak to Hurst first. Ross decided not to wait and took the Sunderland job instead. It’s possible that we may have subsequently offered Ross the job after speaking to Hurst but it wasn’t a case that we had to settle for our second or third target - Hurst was firmly in our sights anyway

Yes that’s how I see it too.

He was my first choice though.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

I said at the time re Hurst on 12:04 - Oct 26 with 1201 viewsLeagueOne

My understanding is that Lampard was offered the job - but declined based on the budget, we then interviewed Ross and offered him the job and Sunderland offered him more money. The club then put a spin on the situation claiming it was Hurst all along to cover their own backsides. If either of those two had wanted the job - he'd never had been appointed.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Login to get fewer ads

I said at the time re Hurst on 12:11 - Oct 26 with 1150 viewsMariner72

I said at the time re Hurst on 11:56 - Oct 26 by groovyASH

It may have been a contributory factor, the truth is Hurst's mistakes go far beyond that. He had a complete lack of awareness to the effect the changes he was making had, and completely underestimated the step up in quality from L1 to Championship both for him as a manager and for the players he has brought in.

It was also abundantly clear he had no idea of his best team personel and tactically wise. The fact he wanted to wring even more changes to the club if his last days comments were anything to go by were alarming and sadly, while I want every manager to succeed when they are appointed, I am glad he has gone.

That's Hurst in a nutshell. Spot on Groovy.
We had to suffer 5 years of him at Grimsby, the problem he has in making the step to the championship is he doesn't have the contacts. He believes his favourites can make the step up when simply they are not good enough. Jackson, Nolan, Nisala. They weren't good enough in LG 2 never mind the championship.
I said at the time re Hurst on 12:12 - Oct 26 with 1144 viewsitfcjoe

Yep - from what I heard Ross was the leader at that time, but Evans wanted to complete his process and speak to hurst to see whether he could move (back?) ahead in the race. That Alan Nixon was saying at time, and has again since that it was felt Evans was trying to play people off against each other and then got caught out

All if's and but's now - but St Mirren's season finished on the 28th April - we could have giot him interviewed and almost through the door before the players started their summer holidays, and given him a massive head start

I said at the time re Hurst on 12:14 - Oct 26 with 1122 viewsitfcjoe

I said at the time re Hurst on 12:04 - Oct 26 by LeagueOne

My understanding is that Lampard was offered the job - but declined based on the budget, we then interviewed Ross and offered him the job and Sunderland offered him more money. The club then put a spin on the situation claiming it was Hurst all along to cover their own backsides. If either of those two had wanted the job - he'd never had been appointed.

I don't think that is the case.

We spoke to lampard but budgets weren't there for him, and we kept Ross dangling on the line whilst we waited to speak to Hurst and Sunderland grabbed him.

There was the spin that it was always Hurst put on it, but merely because he was last man left standing who we wanted, and it was clearly the case we wanted to speak to him and he was a strong candidate

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024