Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colchester 0 - Ipswich 5 - match thoughts 22:56 - Jul 19 with 2264 viewsunstableblue

Well I really enjoyed that. Pre-season games so often can be a damp squib, with nothing riding on them, and poor atmosphere. But the near 3000 blues were in good voice, taking up the stand behind a goal and almost half of a side stand. I find Col U's ground a bit soulless - planted on the A12 and very much 'out of town'. Furthermore, I felt we needed a good win and a performance just to get the momentum going. And in the main we got this. With some real highlight performances to pick out.

It wasn't all good and despite the 5 goals, in the first half we didn't create enough chances and final third action. Norwood was up against a giant who was also quite good, and therefore was a little isolated. But there was still much to be pleased about in the early phases, as frankly IPSWICH JUST PASS THE BALL NOW, with lots of nice short passing and movement. Colchester were pretty toothless, but were not terrible overall, and they have a number of tidy players.

So who stood out as out best performers:

Holy - very very impressed. He didn't have much threat to deal with. But his throwing, kicking, presence, and some cheeky dinks were excellent.
Chambo - I thought he led today, was solid and passed well. He is so vocal, he will be missed against Burton
Nydam - he is very slight, but I really liked his work rate and energy, and tidiness on the ball, he could have a good season
Rowe - wow! where did that performance come from. He cramped up at the end, but he had put in a very good shift, he may give us the much needed width this season. He was just efficient in the ball and got forward and linked play
Huws - A part of me almost can't believe he is back fit and playing. He just stood out as the best technical player on the pitch, and one or two passes were real class. He's very high calibre for the third tier. With Bishop out he may be crucial, and with Dozzell perhaps not stepping up. He only played 30mins and perhaps faded even in that short spell. But I'm crossing everything. He and Downes may be crucial to promotion.
Downes - I thought he was maybe up there for MOTM, it was all understated, but he was bossing the midfield, and also had a little bit of bite and fight about him which we'll need. But the way he made space from himself and passed was top draw. I can see Championship clubs knocking for him in January.
NORWOOD - cometh the hour cometh the hair transplant - THIS IS WHAT WE'VE NEEDED. Goals win games and strikers get you promoted. His second in his hat trick tonight was wonderful technique. As stated he was getting a bi frustrated with lack of supply and heavy markng, and had a spat with the ref which our captain was asked to resolve by the official. But he didn't 'do a Garner' and instead changed his position and started barking instructions at team mates. So much more vocal than any striker I can remember. Lets hope he can take this scoring into a run in the league.

So who wasn't so good:

Dozzell - come on Andre, you have the talent there is no doubt, but you just have to do more and get more involved. Look at the impact Downes and Rowe (when he came inside) had. El Mizouni overshadowed you as well. Also there were quite a few missed longer passes.
Garbutt - hmmmmm, he wasn't poor, and there were moments, but he just gave the ball away too much in close quarters
Roberts - I just didn't see enough from him to think he is going to stake a claim for a start

Other players - well El Mizouni did some nice stuff when breaking forward, and did a nice run ending in a wide shot. Wilson did nothing wrong and certainly has a presence, might be worth a punt, surprised the Ndaba and The Wolf were not used. Donacien was good in parts and for me is worthy of taking the right back slot. Kenlock did most things right, and had a couple of missions forward - I think people get put off by his peculiar running style! Dobra is tiny, smaller than Nydam? but looks technical. Great that Jackson scored, he still seems to be off his game, better distribution behind the defence or wide for him may be the key, but he needs to improve his own crossing - he clearly was very relieved to score.

So a good night, lots to build on, still work to do, and the defence will need a sterner test. Well done to all the Town fans for making the effort. Long may the passing continue. Onwards and upwards.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2019 23:04]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Colchester 0 - Ipswich 5 - match thoughts on 23:01 - Jul 19 with 2191 viewsMrTown

Read my report, staggeringly close comparisons

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Colchester 0 - Ipswich 5 - match thoughts on 23:10 - Jul 19 with 2160 viewstextbackup

Holy's footwork tonight was faultless, pre season or not, faultless. took a few crosses out of the air too nicely. massive presence in that goal and talked throughout.

kenlock played well for me too, although he runs like he's clumsy he makes some really tidy passes and rarely gave the ball away, made 1/2 of the goals too

Jackson - I just think we need to play him for pace alone, he will worry the hell out of L1 defences, but then ontop of that showed some great touches.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Colchester 0 - Ipswich 5 - match thoughts on 23:15 - Jul 19 with 2129 viewsunstableblue

Colchester 0 - Ipswich 5 - match thoughts on 23:10 - Jul 19 by textbackup

Holy's footwork tonight was faultless, pre season or not, faultless. took a few crosses out of the air too nicely. massive presence in that goal and talked throughout.

kenlock played well for me too, although he runs like he's clumsy he makes some really tidy passes and rarely gave the ball away, made 1/2 of the goals too

Jackson - I just think we need to play him for pace alone, he will worry the hell out of L1 defences, but then ontop of that showed some great touches.

Yes I think balls on the floor down the channels for Jackson has to be the plan, but he must work on supply of quality into Norwood.

Holy just oozed class on the ball didn't he! And he is colossal.

What do you think of 'Norwood's on fire' song?

Colchester 0 - Ipswich 5 - match thoughts on 23:31 - Jul 19 with 2032 viewstextbackup

Colchester 0 - Ipswich 5 - match thoughts on 23:15 - Jul 19 by unstableblue

Yes I think balls on the floor down the channels for Jackson has to be the plan, but he must work on supply of quality into Norwood.

Holy just oozed class on the ball didn't he! And he is colossal.

What do you think of 'Norwood's on fire' song?

What do you think of 'Norwood's on fire' song? - felt a bit sick when I heard it, should be the "chris kywomia song" all day long..... considering he's a lord, and it has the word lord in it!

a few times Jackson got down the line and norwood went over indicating he wants it whipped into the front post early, guess they'll work on that

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Colchester 0 - Ipswich 5 - match thoughts on 09:42 - Jul 20 with 1706 viewsunstableblue

Colchester 0 - Ipswich 5 - match thoughts on 23:31 - Jul 19 by textbackup

What do you think of 'Norwood's on fire' song? - felt a bit sick when I heard it, should be the "chris kywomia song" all day long..... considering he's a lord, and it has the word lord in it!

a few times Jackson got down the line and norwood went over indicating he wants it whipped into the front post early, guess they'll work on that

I think a lot of fans were struggling with the tempo of the song!!! So it was messy. It’s not bad, but we need another.

Remind me of the Kywomia tune?

Jackson’s cross for the Norwoods third was good though. Norwood knows when to come near post and when to switch to the back, clever player!! Judge could link well with him.

Norwood is going to get heavily marked/fouled!!

Colchester 0 - Ipswich 5 - match thoughts on 09:51 - Jul 20 with 1680 viewsbraveblue

Nice to read a good, balanced report. No digs at other fans which is becoming all too common. Thanks.
ALL THE GOALS HERE on 10:13 - Jul 20 with 1629 viewsunstableblue

All the goals here, if a little low quality:

And I think if you watch some of the build up, it really picks up my point in the match report about Ipswich’s passing game being so improved under Lambert.

Colchester 0 - Ipswich 5 - match thoughts on 12:11 - Jul 20 with 1485 viewsGeoffSentence

Colchester 0 - Ipswich 5 - match thoughts on 09:42 - Jul 20 by unstableblue

I think a lot of fans were struggling with the tempo of the song!!! So it was messy. It’s not bad, but we need another.

Remind me of the Kywomia tune?

Jackson’s cross for the Norwoods third was good though. Norwood knows when to come near post and when to switch to the back, clever player!! Judge could link well with him.

Norwood is going to get heavily marked/fouled!!

"Kiwomya my lord" was to the tune of the hymn Kumbaya.

One of the few that originated at FPR before making its way across the leagues.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

Colchester 0 - Ipswich 5 - match thoughts on 12:35 - Jul 20 with 1439 viewsunstableblue

Colchester 0 - Ipswich 5 - match thoughts on 12:11 - Jul 20 by GeoffSentence

"Kiwomya my lord" was to the tune of the hymn Kumbaya.

One of the few that originated at FPR before making its way across the leagues.

Yes, of course that one.

Not sure its 'modern' enough for Norwood, plus Norwood is only 2 syllables.

We need something catchy, innovative and exciting to match our new talisman.

I'll hit the recording studio.

That second goal.... on 12:48 - Jul 20 with 1404 viewsunstableblue

ALL THE GOALS HERE on 10:13 - Jul 20 by unstableblue

All the goals here, if a little low quality:

And I think if you watch some of the build up, it really picks up my point in the match report about Ipswich’s passing game being so improved under Lambert.

... that build and passing is what we all crave!! love it

Now, its only Col U and its only a friendly and repeating it in 2 weeks time against Burton is another thing. But if Lambert can get the passing style embedded by then, we may prosper.

What is key is the like of Downes, Rowe, Huws have to get their heads up and move and look forward... my concern about this season is whether we can get enough numbers forward and quickly. Thats the route to promotion my blues brothers.

Bizarrely despite us entering the third tier this is the most excited ive been in pre-season for a long long time.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024