Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I was putting together a post to say how inexperienced I think our team will be 09:55 - Jul 8 with 755 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

And then I realised that it's actually nowhere near as bad as I thought.

I had this notion that we'd be as inexperienced this season through youth as we were last season with players who'd not been at Championship level before but it's not actually that bad.

My strongest side based on talent with some vague nod to tactics

Bialkowski (plenty of experience at a higher level)
Donacien (some experience at a higher level and half a season on loan in League One)
Chambers (plenty of experience at a higher level)
Nsiala (plenty of experience at a this level)
Kenlock (good experience at a higher level)
Skuse (plenty of experience at a higher level)
Bishop (plenty of experience at a higher level)
Downes (good experience at a higher level)
Judge (plenty of experience at a higher level)
Norwood (inexperienced at this level, but an experienced player)
Edwards (plenty of experience at a this level)

Now that actually looks pretty decent to be fair.

Then turning to the backups:

Holy (plenty of experience at a this level)
Emmanuel (plenty of experience at this level)
Woolfenden (inexperienced at this level - but a League Two season under his belt)
Nydam (a bit of experience at a higher level)
Dozzell (a bit of experience at a higher level)
Nolan (plenty of experience at this level)
Huws (plenty of experience at a higher level)
Lankester (a bit of experience at a higher level)
Sears (plenty of experience at a higher level)
Rowe (inexperienced at this level - but an experienced player)
Roberts (inexperienced at this level - but an experienced player)
Morris (inexperienced bar a League Two loan)
Jackson (a bit of experience at a higher level - but an experienced player)
Folami (inexperienced)
El Mizouni (inexperienced)
Ndaba (inexperienced)

No doubt I have missed a few as well.

In terms of actual talent we have a lot of players who have performed at this level or above and not that many completely inexperienced players. A young side yes, but plenty of appearances in there.

The question of how unbalanced the squad is and how lacking in strikers (fit ones) we are, what happens if Huws and Bishop both get injured (we'd still have Skuse, Downes, Dozzell, Nolan, Judge, Edwards and so on) and whether we need another centre back and perhaps at least a left back remain valid).

But what we actually have is nowhere near as bad as I'd assumed until I put it all down in front of me.

If we could bring in an experienced target man, a left sided winger and someone who could play left back and centre back on frees who have played at this level then I think we'd actually have a really decent chance of being right up there. I also have absolutely no problems with using a couple of loans to get an out of favour Championship target man and full back, who can cover at centre half.

I don't think we are anywhere near as inexperienced as I'd assumed. It's a young squad, but the likely starting XI will have bags of experience.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2019 10:16]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

I was putting together a post to say how inexperienced I think our team will be on 10:04 - Jul 8 with 701 viewsSwansea_Blue

Quite. As I've just mentioned on a nother thread, we could field a team mostly of highly experienced (mostly Championship) players, with only a couple of gaps around the full back positions.

it's just mind games by PL.

Go on then, I'll be the first to bite... by Swansea_Blue 8 Jul 2019 9:33
I'm not convinced it'll need to be a young side.

Bart - 32
Chambo - 33
Toto - 27
Skuse - 33
Nolan - 27
Huws (if fit) - 25
Judge - 30
Roberts - 25
Edwards - 26
Jackson - 25
Norwood - 28
Freddie (when back) -29

The only positions where we will be forced to play the younger players is fullback (both sides) or as cover for injuries/suspensions. (If we don't do something about adding a fullback or two, we're stupid).
Kenlock - 22
Emmanuel - 21
Cotter - 20

Surely this is simply PL trying to lower expectations to take the pressure off?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I was putting together a post to say how inexperienced I think our team will be on 11:04 - Jul 8 with 624 viewsTIB

It's squad depth for me that needs sorting, but folk highlighting the squad like you've done here is good as I do panic bells are ringing after PL's interview.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

I was putting together a post to say how inexperienced I think our team will be on 11:06 - Jul 8 with 619 viewsSouperJim

I was putting together a post to say how inexperienced I think our team will be on 11:04 - Jul 8 by TIB

It's squad depth for me that needs sorting, but folk highlighting the squad like you've done here is good as I do panic bells are ringing after PL's interview.

Agreed, I feel a bit better after reading this. We still need a left sided defender and a striker, but we will probably pick them up on loan.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024