Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Education funding 21:35 - Dec 11 with 555 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I have found money has got increasingly tighter in my experience of state education over the past decade. When I write to Peter Aldous he quotes increased funding and my response that it isn't getting to the chalk face is ignored.

Today I learnt that the employer contribution for teachers' pensions has gone up this year from 16.4% of salary to 23.6%. Talk about giving with one hand only to take away with another.

Increased funding in real terms is not the reality however the figures might get spun.

EDIT: typo spotted on re-reading and corrected.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2019 21:53]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Education funding on 21:41 - Dec 11 with 535 viewsMullet

There is also the squeeze on places, so figures of increased funding are being muddled with the millions being poured into building works and infrastructure in my opinion.

My place has doubled in size since I've been there and is massively oversubscribed and this has caused huge pressures on all manner of parts. However, the LEA and government will point to the new building etc. as proof of that. Likewise, we are getting more PP and INA's which demand greater funding, but more staff so there is a juggling act and tension there too.

I'm fairly confident that in real terms spending per pupil is massively down across the country, but the way it'll be reported won't reflect that for obvious reasons.

That includes the huge expense of Gove's reforms of the exams too I suspect which has put a burden on budgets and the like.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Education funding on 21:48 - Dec 11 with 526 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Education funding on 21:41 - Dec 11 by Mullet

There is also the squeeze on places, so figures of increased funding are being muddled with the millions being poured into building works and infrastructure in my opinion.

My place has doubled in size since I've been there and is massively oversubscribed and this has caused huge pressures on all manner of parts. However, the LEA and government will point to the new building etc. as proof of that. Likewise, we are getting more PP and INA's which demand greater funding, but more staff so there is a juggling act and tension there too.

I'm fairly confident that in real terms spending per pupil is massively down across the country, but the way it'll be reported won't reflect that for obvious reasons.

That includes the huge expense of Gove's reforms of the exams too I suspect which has put a burden on budgets and the like.

You won't remember "building schools for the future" from an age where "education, education, education" won an election. The scandal of lack of money for infrastructure is going to hit breaking point at some time.

Education funding on 21:48 - Dec 11 with 526 viewsBloomBlue

23.6%? Most private companies only put in 6-8% per employee
Education funding on 21:52 - Dec 11 with 513 viewsMullet

Education funding on 21:48 - Dec 11 by Nthsuffolkblue

You won't remember "building schools for the future" from an age where "education, education, education" won an election. The scandal of lack of money for infrastructure is going to hit breaking point at some time.

Well there was a story the other day of the huge % of stock which is inadequate. A colleague moved to another school recently which is a faith school. She taught in a outdoor "temporary" classroom that was so old she had to do some weird juggling act to stop kids getting drenched as they came in. There was some sort of issue with the roof and every time it rained the water was funnelled over a window between the stairs and the door.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Education funding on 21:55 - Dec 11 with 508 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Education funding on 21:48 - Dec 11 by BloomBlue

23.6%? Most private companies only put in 6-8% per employee

https://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/news/employers/2019/07/change-to-employer-con

We also pay a fair whack too. We get a jolly good pension but we also pay for it.

Apparently many private schools are pulling out of offering it in favour of private schemes instead.

EDIT: This shows the employee contributions. Not sure how that compares to typical private schemes (too long since I was in other employment). https://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/employers/managing-members/contributions/calc
[Post edited 11 Dec 2019 21:57]

Education funding on 22:39 - Dec 11 with 468 viewsSwansea_Blue

It’s certainly not getting to the coalface. We’ve been shedding teachers, enlarging class sizes and the parents now routinely subsidise school activities through a seemingly endless cycle of charity events. Managed differently in Wales of course, but the money still comes from Westminster.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024