Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Richard Burgon 15:49 - Feb 24 with 1641 viewstractordownsouth

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/richard-burgon-suggests-tony-blair-would-

Says that Tony Blair should “reflect upon why he lost us 5 million votes” and seems to suggest that there would be a case for kicking our best ever election winner out of the party. This “ lost 5 million votes” argument is ridiculous... at least he had that many votes to lose ffs. Ironically, it’s the type of spin that they lambast Alistair Campbell for.

I’m aware that most of my political posts on here are simply slagging off other politicians so I’ll make the positive case for two of the deputy leader candidates. I believe Angela Rayner’s story sums up what the Labour Party is all about - lack of educational achievement at a young age but later qualified as a social worker and has risen to power through her work in trade unions. I think she interviews quite well and has had some good ideas for the education sector.

Ian Murray is another good candidate. The fact he’s been able to hold onto his seat during the SNP surge speaks volumes, and whilst I’m not a fan of identity politics, giving a Scot a prominent voice in the party may help to win back voters. He also has the endorsement of Ruth Smeeth, who claims he was the most committed of all the candidates to help root out the anti-semitism crisis.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Richard Burgon on 15:52 - Feb 24 with 1619 viewsitfcjoe

I like Rosanna and will be giving her my 1st preference

Burgon will be ranked 5th by me, - anyone going for mandatory reselection (like him and RLB) as a policy is an idiot and just typifies the very left of the party and their cleansing - meaning MPs have to constantly battle their own party let alone the opposition.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Richard Burgon on 16:03 - Feb 24 with 1596 viewstractordownsouth

Richard Burgon on 15:52 - Feb 24 by itfcjoe

Burgon will be ranked 5th by me, - anyone going for mandatory reselection (like him and RLB) as a policy is an idiot and just typifies the very left of the party and their cleansing - meaning MPs have to constantly battle their own party let alone the opposition.

Yeah I think Roseena's credible, I'll be putting her in 3rd place but again I'd be happy with her.

Mandatory reselections is ridiculous. By all means, have no confidence votes, but you're right, having primaries for each candidate smacks of wanting to deselct those they disagree with, when we should be concentrating on fighting the Tories. Thankfully the polling puts Rayner on 60%, making it highly unlikely that Burgon will be anywhere near the deputy leadership.

I don't like how some of his and RLB's fans are pitching them as the only " loyal" ones who didn't support the "chicken coup" in 2016. Of course there were people who didn't give Corbyn a fair shot after his original election in 2015, but the challenge a year later was fully justified because he'd shown his inability to lead on Europe - all the leader/ deputy candidates that supported Smith gave Corbyn a decent shot, with many of them serving under him.

I also feel there's a lot of hypocrisy on their side - there seems to be a common view Corbyn's rebellions under New Labour showed him to be "principled" yet the people who rebelled against Corbyn were "disloyal". Whilst the campaign in general has been much friendlier than it was in 2015 and 2016, there are some ugly elements on social media.

Richard Burgon on 16:12 - Feb 24 with 1589 viewsitfcjoe

Richard Burgon on 16:03 - Feb 24 by tractordownsouth

Yeah I think Roseena's credible, I'll be putting her in 3rd place but again I'd be happy with her.

Mandatory reselections is ridiculous. By all means, have no confidence votes, but you're right, having primaries for each candidate smacks of wanting to deselct those they disagree with, when we should be concentrating on fighting the Tories. Thankfully the polling puts Rayner on 60%, making it highly unlikely that Burgon will be anywhere near the deputy leadership.

I don't like how some of his and RLB's fans are pitching them as the only " loyal" ones who didn't support the "chicken coup" in 2016. Of course there were people who didn't give Corbyn a fair shot after his original election in 2015, but the challenge a year later was fully justified because he'd shown his inability to lead on Europe - all the leader/ deputy candidates that supported Smith gave Corbyn a decent shot, with many of them serving under him.

I also feel there's a lot of hypocrisy on their side - there seems to be a common view Corbyn's rebellions under New Labour showed him to be "principled" yet the people who rebelled against Corbyn were "disloyal". Whilst the campaign in general has been much friendlier than it was in 2015 and 2016, there are some ugly elements on social media.

It's massive hypocricy, Dawn Butler saying you can't go against the leader etc.

The Tories are a broad church, and Labour need to be - if they want to be narrown on the left then fine but they will never see power again.

For that part of the left it seems more important to be in control of the Labour party than the country

Richard Burgon on 16:29 - Feb 24 with 1561 viewsGunnsAirkick

Richard Burgon on 15:52 - Feb 24 by itfcjoe

I don't believe you have to put more than one pref for Leader and Deputy Leader if you don't want to. I can't stand Burgon, he's a nutter.
Richard Burgon on 16:33 - Feb 24 with 1549 viewsitfcjoe

Richard Burgon on 16:29 - Feb 24 by GunnsAirkick

I don't believe you have to put more than one pref for Leader and Deputy Leader if you don't want to. I can't stand Burgon, he's a nutter.

I haven't had it through yet so will see when I do.

RB the sort of bloke that should be miles away from the levers of power

Richard Burgon on 17:08 - Feb 24 with 1507 viewstractordownsouth

Richard Burgon on 16:12 - Feb 24 by itfcjoe

It's massive hypocricy, Dawn Butler saying you can't go against the leader etc.

The Tories are a broad church, and Labour need to be - if they want to be narrown on the left then fine but they will never see power again.

For that part of the left it seems more important to be in control of the Labour party than the country

I agree with that, although the Tories aren't exactly a broad church anymore, since Clarke, Rudd, Stewart, Soames etc were kicked out. Although I identify to the right of many members, I still wouldn't want us to kick out the more leftie MPs as we need to be a broad church ourselves. I have no issue with the likes of Rayner and even RLB being in the Shadw Cabinet but just not the incompetent figures from that wing (Abbott, Burgon etc.)

Richard Burgon on 21:34 - Feb 27 with 1317 viewstractordownsouth

If anyone wants a laugh this Twitter account is very funny. For context, it's a parody made after the announcement that Burgon wants to create a "Tony Benn School of Political Education", which seems a bit bonkers.

https://twitter.com/BennUniversity?s=20

[Post edited 27 Feb 2020 21:39]

Richard Burgon on 22:05 - Feb 27 with 1269 viewsHARRY10

Richard Burgon on 21:34 - Feb 27 by tractordownsouth

If anyone wants a laugh this Twitter account is very funny. For context, it's a parody made after the announcement that Burgon wants to create a "Tony Benn School of Political Education", which seems a bit bonkers.

The problem is that there are those whose analysis of capitalism I fully agree with.

But I fundamentally disagree with their view of how to chabge things

Join the Labour party and argue your case - but do notmuse anti democratic methods, misuse voting or run as another party within a party.

Trying to highlack people's concerns and protests so as to claim they represent your views is not only dishonest, but extremmely dishonest. Whilst a huge number rallied around Corbyn;s blunt approach to what is wrong they did not vote for a bunch of Trostkyite entrists to secretely run things.

Far too much goodwill and activity is, and has been, wasted on marching people up to the hill and marching them dowm again. With the result that many of those drift away.

And the sickening thing is those behind this fraud believe that it will show activists that that capitalism cannot work in the favour so they had better be ready to storm the barricades....at the direction of their self apppointed leaders.
Login to get fewer ads

Richard Burgon on 06:32 - Feb 28 with 1193 viewsBackToRussia

Richard Burgon on 21:34 - Feb 27 by tractordownsouth

That's a "good look", mocking elderly left wing activists.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Richard Burgon on 07:54 - Feb 28 with 1133 viewstractordownsouth

Richard Burgon on 06:32 - Feb 28 by BackToRussia

That's a "good look", mocking elderly left wing activists.

Is that a whoosh? Calling people vermin is worthy of mocking.

Richard Burgon on 08:16 - Feb 28 with 1109 viewsBackToRussia

Richard Burgon on 07:54 - Feb 28 by tractordownsouth

Is that a whoosh? Calling people vermin is worthy of mocking.

Is that what that old bloke has done? If so then fair enough.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Richard Burgon on 08:45 - Feb 28 with 1096 viewstractordownsouth

Richard Burgon on 08:16 - Feb 28 by BackToRussia

Is that what that old bloke has done? If so then fair enough.

Look at his t shirt in the photo of that tweet?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024