Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Following on from the George Best no.7 shirt thread earlier 17:41 - Mar 6 with 1092 viewsgainsboroughblue

Prior to squad numbers, any idea which Town player wore the most numbers?

Stockwell could be a prime candidate here. Certainly wore 2, 4, 7 and 11. Possibly 9 when he played up front.

Dozzell wore 5, 8, 9 and 10 and possibly others.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Following on from the George Best no.7 shirt thread earlier on 17:51 - Mar 6 with 1062 viewsitfcjoe

Mick Mills maybe as was very versatile

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Following on from the George Best no.7 shirt thread earlier on 18:14 - Mar 6 with 1048 viewsFifeITFC

Following on from the George Best no.7 shirt thread earlier on 17:51 - Mar 6 by itfcjoe

Mick Mills maybe as was very versatile

Correct. I believe Mills featured at some point in most outfield 2-12 numbers.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Following on from the George Best no.7 shirt thread earlier on 19:28 - Mar 6 with 1019 viewsPJH

Following on from the George Best no.7 shirt thread earlier on 18:14 - Mar 6 by FifeITFC

Correct. I believe Mills featured at some point in most outfield 2-12 numbers.

I cannot find that our greatest ever RB,greatest ever LB and greatest ever Captain ever wore number 5 for us.

I have just scanned the team listings in The Men Who Made The Town and although I have got my two yearly eye test at Specsavers in a couple of weeks I have not found a 5 under Mick Mills.All the others 2-12 though.
Following on from the George Best no.7 shirt thread earlier on 19:32 - Mar 6 with 1012 viewsitfcjoe

Following on from the George Best no.7 shirt thread earlier on 19:28 - Mar 6 by PJH

I cannot find that our greatest ever RB,greatest ever LB and greatest ever Captain ever wore number 5 for us.

I have just scanned the team listings in The Men Who Made The Town and although I have got my two yearly eye test at Specsavers in a couple of weeks I have not found a 5 under Mick Mills.All the others 2-12 though.

If I had to guess a number he hadn’t worn it wouldn’t have been 5!

When Watford got promoted in the 90s, Steve Palmer wore every number that season, on the last day of the seAson he started in goal to complete the set by wearing number 1!

Following on from the George Best no.7 shirt thread earlier on 19:35 - Mar 6 with 999 viewsPJH

Following on from the George Best no.7 shirt thread earlier on 19:32 - Mar 6 by itfcjoe

If I had to guess a number he hadn’t worn it wouldn’t have been 5!

When Watford got promoted in the 90s, Steve Palmer wore every number that season, on the last day of the seAson he started in goal to complete the set by wearing number 1!

He might have worn 5 and I missed it in TMWMTT.

Probably look again in daylight.
Following on from the George Best no.7 shirt thread earlier on 19:37 - Mar 6 with 992 viewsAlexwaddell

Following on from the George Best no.7 shirt thread earlier on 19:35 - Mar 6 by PJH

I thought that Micky Stockwell had played every position for Town.....but the memory isnt what it was...
I think he had 700 appearances for Town, then 100+ for Colchester.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2020 19:56]

Poll: What was today?

Following on from the George Best no.7 shirt thread earlier on 19:37 - Mar 6 with 989 viewsitfcjoe

Following on from the George Best no.7 shirt thread earlier on 19:35 - Mar 6 by PJH

Why would he have ever worn 9 or 10? Did he play as a makeshift striker a la Stockwell?!

Or just as a spare man when playing 1 up front to keep the others in their usual number?
[Post edited 6 Mar 2020 19:38]

Following on from the George Best no.7 shirt thread earlier on 20:00 - Mar 6 with 944 viewsPJH

Following on from the George Best no.7 shirt thread earlier on 19:37 - Mar 6 by itfcjoe

Why would he have ever worn 9 or 10? Did he play as a makeshift striker a la Stockwell?!

Or just as a spare man when playing 1 up front to keep the others in their usual number?
[Post edited 6 Mar 2020 19:38]

He played in midfield quite a lot and he made several appearances in the 10 shirt but they would have been as a conventional midfielder.

He wore number 9 in a 3-3 draw at Carrot Rud on Boxing Day 1979 and it looks like we must have been 442 that day with him in a midfield including Thijssen, Muhren and Wark with Brazil and Gates upfront.Paul Mariner was number 9 the games either side of that one and Mills was LB.

I don't think that he ever played as a makeshift striker as Micky Stockwell did.
Login to get fewer ads

Following on from the George Best no.7 shirt thread earlier on 11:30 - Mar 7 with 803 viewsPJH

Rechecked TMWMTT and Mick Mills not listed in number 5 shirt in any of his 741 games for ITFC.
Following on from the George Best no.7 shirt thread earlier on 12:58 - Mar 7 with 774 viewsSharkey

Following on from the George Best no.7 shirt thread earlier on 19:37 - Mar 6 by Alexwaddell

I thought that Micky Stockwell had played every position for Town.....but the memory isnt what it was...

Not quite that many for Town - more like 500. And yes, three virtually ever-present seasons for Colchester after that.
Following on from the George Best no.7 shirt thread earlier on 13:43 - Mar 7 with 739 viewscatch74

Following on from the George Best no.7 shirt thread earlier on 19:37 - Mar 6 by Alexwaddell

Guess who he enjoyed playing with most in that time!?

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024