Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. 07:24 - Mar 8 with 1513 viewsChrisd

As fans we’re hoping PL will do the decent thing and resign, but why should he apart from the moral concept that he is failing? Surely, if he walks he’ll miss out on monies owed? In our own jobs, we wouldn’t do it for that same reason. ME is the issue, he just won’t pull the trigger as it’s going to cost him and that’s the bottomline. If there are clauses in PL’s contract related to performance that’s great, but anyone who has an ounce of footballing intelligence recognises we’ve got no chance of making the play offs especially with the form we are currently showing, so why wait? Pull the trigger and let’s start the rebuild for next season now. Instead, we have to let things drift along, going through the motions while our owner and manager are involved in their own Mexican stand off.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 7:27]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 07:30 - Mar 8 with 1467 viewsOxford_Blue

If Evans can dismiss Lambert for a reduced pay out once the club can’t make the play offs (and this will be drafted either as position at end of season or when it is not possible for the club to be in the the top six) why on earth would he breach the contract by sacking him before then? He would then not have the protection in the contract he agreed. And there is no rush because we are not facing relegation. He should take time to get it right.

You’re showing why football fans shouldn’t make decisions about running football clubs.
We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 07:37 - Mar 8 with 1434 viewsChrisd

We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 07:30 - Mar 8 by Oxford_Blue

If Evans can dismiss Lambert for a reduced pay out once the club can’t make the play offs (and this will be drafted either as position at end of season or when it is not possible for the club to be in the the top six) why on earth would he breach the contract by sacking him before then? He would then not have the protection in the contract he agreed. And there is no rush because we are not facing relegation. He should take time to get it right.

You’re showing why football fans shouldn’t make decisions about running football clubs.

Missing my point. Although we are getting emotionally involved and want PL out ASAP and rightly so, both are looking after their own interests. Therefore, we can expect this to continue for a while yet even with all our annoyance and anger about the situation.

We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 07:47 - Mar 8 with 1394 viewsOxford_Blue

We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 07:37 - Mar 8 by Chrisd

Missing my point. Although we are getting emotionally involved and want PL out ASAP and rightly so, both are looking after their own interests. Therefore, we can expect this to continue for a while yet even with all our annoyance and anger about the situation.

Your point was why wait to sack Lambert.

My response was because sacking him before the contract allows Evans to do so will be a breach of contract and cost Evans a lot more money. As Mills and others have said, there is no point rushing now. We need to take time to get the right person.
We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 07:51 - Mar 8 with 1384 viewsbobbyramsey

Mathematically impossible, not notionally.....
We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 07:52 - Mar 8 with 1376 viewsChrisd

We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 07:47 - Mar 8 by Oxford_Blue

Your point was why wait to sack Lambert.

My response was because sacking him before the contract allows Evans to do so will be a breach of contract and cost Evans a lot more money. As Mills and others have said, there is no point rushing now. We need to take time to get the right person.

No, my point was I can understand why PL is holding tight. As a fan, it is frustrating watching this unravel and I know you’re a supporter or ME, but I’ve got no faith he’s going to get the next appointment right, however long he gives it. There’s another reason why he’s a hapless owner to add to your thread the other day.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 7:54]

We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 07:53 - Mar 8 with 1368 viewstractorboy1978

I think Evans has consistently proven he shouldn't make decisions about running football clubs either.
We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 07:53 - Mar 8 with 1363 viewsOxford_Blue

We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 07:51 - Mar 8 by bobbyramsey

Mathematically impossible, not notionally.....

It depends on the drafting.

It could be an assessment at the end of the season, or it could be when the club cannot make the top six. Either way if Evans breaches the very terms he included then he will be handing Lambert an open goal to pursue him for damages for breach of contract likely to be worth far more than the contractual termination.
We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 07:59 - Mar 8 with 1322 viewsWeWereZombies

We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 07:53 - Mar 8 by tractorboy1978

I think Evans has consistently proven he shouldn't make decisions about running football clubs either.

Although that doesn't necessarily make him a football fan...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Login to get fewer ads

We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 08:01 - Mar 8 with 1315 viewsChrisd

We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 07:59 - Mar 8 by WeWereZombies

Although that doesn't necessarily make him a football fan...

He’s no football fan, actions speak louder than words.

We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 08:02 - Mar 8 with 1312 viewsWeWereZombies

We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 08:01 - Mar 8 by Chrisd

He’s no football fan, actions speak louder than words.

He only leaves early so he can be first out of the St. Matthew's School cheap parking...

We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 09:15 - Mar 8 with 1160 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

He plays the “I’ll only ever do what’s best for the club” card.

But it’s just another one of his PR pulls, won’t walk now or ever on a 5 year deal.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 10:30 - Mar 8 with 1072 viewsBlueBadger

He won't walk at the moment for two reasons:
1. No payout
2. We are currebtly failing. His career since leaving Norwich has been failure upon failure. He walks now, it's another failure on his CV and likely the death knell for his career. so he'll try and bluff it out. Never mind that he isn't good enough to do that, that's what he'll try.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 11:07 - Mar 8 with 1044 viewsGuthrum

From a footballing point of view, we do still stand a mathematical chance of making the play-offs, but the manager is failing to organise/motivate the team to win matches. You can't change the players outside of a transfer window (even if money is available), so the only option to correct the slide would be a change of manager. Now is the time to do it, while something can still be achieved.

It's only this self-inflicted millstone of a 5-year contract which is getting in the way. But it might be the thing which costs us any remaining shot at promotion this season.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 11:19 - Mar 8 with 1024 viewsOxford_Blue

We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 11:07 - Mar 8 by Guthrum

From a footballing point of view, we do still stand a mathematical chance of making the play-offs, but the manager is failing to organise/motivate the team to win matches. You can't change the players outside of a transfer window (even if money is available), so the only option to correct the slide would be a change of manager. Now is the time to do it, while something can still be achieved.

It's only this self-inflicted millstone of a 5-year contract which is getting in the way. But it might be the thing which costs us any remaining shot at promotion this season.

You’ve ignored all the reasons I’ve set out as to why isn’t the time to do it.

Even if a better replacement was free now, Evans will obviously avoid paying a significant sum if he can pay a small sum and get the same outcome. You would too if it was your money.
We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 11:23 - Mar 8 with 1016 viewsjas0999

Either way it was still a very poor decision from Evans to give Lambert a five year deal. Baffling.
We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 11:25 - Mar 8 with 1008 viewsGuthrum

We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 11:19 - Mar 8 by Oxford_Blue

You’ve ignored all the reasons I’ve set out as to why isn’t the time to do it.

Even if a better replacement was free now, Evans will obviously avoid paying a significant sum if he can pay a small sum and get the same outcome. You would too if it was your money.

Yours are all financial/contractural. I'm talking about footballing pragmatism.

The two aspects are, on the face of it, in direct opposition. But being promoted is a better financial prospect (bigger share of TV income, less tight FFP) than remaining in L1.

Is it worth taking a chance now, or waiting until that has gone before acting? Much of business success is about calculated risk taking. Perhaps Evans does not believe this team is capable of winning whoever is in charge.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 11:28]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 12:27 - Mar 8 with 966 viewsWeWereZombies

We shouldn’t expect PL to walk away. on 11:25 - Mar 8 by Guthrum

Yours are all financial/contractural. I'm talking about footballing pragmatism.

The two aspects are, on the face of it, in direct opposition. But being promoted is a better financial prospect (bigger share of TV income, less tight FFP) than remaining in L1.

Is it worth taking a chance now, or waiting until that has gone before acting? Much of business success is about calculated risk taking. Perhaps Evans does not believe this team is capable of winning whoever is in charge.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 11:28]

Or perhaps Evans realises that selecting a manager is not his forte, changing the manager could also end up in a worse position i.e. another Hurst or one even less effective.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 12:33]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024