Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does anyone here suffer from migraine 19:26 - Jan 13 with 4144 viewsgtsb1966

On a regular basis. I only have about three a year but today I'm having a stinker. I know someone who has one a month. I couldn't handle that. Any specific tablets to try that really work? I particularly mean migraine with aura.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2017 19:27]
Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 19:31 - Jan 13 with 2957 viewsKeno

As a long term sufferer all I would say is check your blood sugar levels.

I'm not diabetic but suffer from Hypoglycemia. I found I migraine when Blood sugar is low and it can drop very quickly.

I can control it by eating little and often with a key time being mid morning.

Pm me if you want anymore info

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 19:38 - Jan 13 with 2937 viewsHarryfromBath

Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 19:31 - Jan 13 by Keno

I'm not diabetic but suffer from Hypoglycemia. I found I migraine when Blood sugar is low and it can drop very quickly.

Yep, Keno is spot on. I get these wretched things and hypoglycemia can set them off although stressful events can also be a trigger.

I use paracetamol for the lower level migraines but I have found that pink Migraleve tablets work when a biggie is imminent. The obvious pharmaceutical rules apply if you are taking other medication so double check with your pharmacist but I always keep a small stock of them.

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 19:46 - Jan 13 with 2923 viewsgtsb1966

Well I never. I'm on a diet at the moment and haven't eaten as much as I should even for a diet. I walked my dogs in the cold today and got very hungry half way into the walk that I felt weak and dizzy. About two hours later the migraine came. Im 100% that what you have told me was the cause. Live and learn from now on. Thank you very much.
Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 19:48 - Jan 13 with 2911 viewsMJallday

Id get really bad migraines for about 2 years,one day it became that unbearable i couldnt see i was literally blacking out. Went to the hospital,mturned out it was my blood pressure.

Several pills later all went away.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Does anyone here suffer from migraine (n/t) on 19:52 - Jan 13 with 2891 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

[Post edited 13 Jan 2017 19:55]

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 19:53 - Jan 13 with 2887 viewsEdmunds5

Cup of teas help a lot, not trying to be funny, they clear your head a bit when you get them

La la la Sixto Peralta
Poll: Transfer deadline day or Christmas?
Blog: A Representation Of Stability

Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 19:54 - Jan 13 with 2883 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Pink Migraleve. Used to get them bad as a teenager but the pink migraleve sorts the visual disturbances and banging headache and vomiting.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 19:57 - Jan 13 with 2864 viewsBLUEBEAT

I suffered for years and eventually found the issue was linked to dairy products, specifically strong cheeses.

Stopped consuming these and the migraines went.

I guess I'm banned from TWTD now?

Poll: W or W

Login to get fewer ads

Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 20:06 - Jan 13 with 2822 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Pilchards on toast help me for some reason
Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 20:12 - Jan 13 with 2795 viewsfactual_blue

Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 20:06 - Jan 13 by FrowsyArmLarry

Pilchards on toast help me for some reason

To eat, or use a suppository?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 20:16 - Jan 13 with 2787 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 20:12 - Jan 13 by factual_blue

To eat, or use a suppository?

That reminds me.. i always have brown sauce on them too.
Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 20:21 - Jan 13 with 2776 viewslegoman

One of my managers died following a migraine. So up your determination to find help despite the NHS.

Poll: Sheepshanks 5 years -v- Evans 5 points

Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 20:25 - Jan 13 with 2773 viewsBasuco

Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 19:46 - Jan 13 by gtsb1966

Well I never. I'm on a diet at the moment and haven't eaten as much as I should even for a diet. I walked my dogs in the cold today and got very hungry half way into the walk that I felt weak and dizzy. About two hours later the migraine came. Im 100% that what you have told me was the cause. Live and learn from now on. Thank you very much.

an ex boss suffered with migraines while he was over weight, after losing a few stone he has not had one since.
Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 20:26 - Jan 13 with 2767 viewsjas0999

Stress is the biggest cause. I used to suffer but not so much since I learnt to manage my stress levels. Doesn't help supporting ITFC though!!

Edit: apologies, stress the biggest cause for me. Recognise there are other reasons.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2017 20:33]
Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 20:30 - Jan 13 with 2739 viewslegoman

Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 20:26 - Jan 13 by jas0999

Stress is the biggest cause. I used to suffer but not so much since I learnt to manage my stress levels. Doesn't help supporting ITFC though!!

Edit: apologies, stress the biggest cause for me. Recognise there are other reasons.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2017 20:33]

My (migraine) manager was so cool. I was the stressy one...but I am still here...?

Poll: Sheepshanks 5 years -v- Evans 5 points

Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 20:35 - Jan 13 with 2714 viewsElderGrizzly

When i get them, my 'aura' is paralysis down the left hand side. Not good!

Been through various medication, scans and consultants through private insurance and still at a loss. Never had one until 3 years ago and then boom.

Bizarrely the thing that has helped most is a massage, where the physio manipulated an area of the neck where a lot of nerves conjoin.

On half an asprin a day now just to see if it helps
Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 20:46 - Jan 13 with 2668 viewsKeno

Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 19:46 - Jan 13 by gtsb1966

You are very welcome

Just keep on what you eat when & you may find some key times where you just have to be a bit careful,

I always have a bottle of lucozade in the fridge just in case

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 20:52 - Jan 13 with 2645 viewsSwansea_Blue

Back in my yoof, I shared a house with a lass who used to get stinkers (confined to a dark room for 24 hours type). Turned out she was allergic to onions.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 21:23 - Jan 13 with 2572 viewsGuthrum

Yes, tho not a couple of times a week like I once used to (fortunately mostly not real howlers).

I tend to use paracetamol and ibuprofen (the one doesn't seem to touch it without the other). Personally steer clear of codeine unless it's particularly bad, as that stuff upsets me in other ways.

Also apply heat or cold (depending on what I can get hold of), plus massaging and stretching the muscles at the back of the neck (drop shoulder down, grab top of head with the other hand and gently but firmly pull across and slightly forward, then repeat the other side).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 21:36 - Jan 13 with 2535 viewsthebooks

I'm amazed by how common migraines are.

As you can tell from the replies, there doesn't appear to be a consensus over cause or even treatment.

In my experience the "triggers" are tiredness and stress. But the nature of the illness can make you see patterns that aren't there. I thought alcohol and even the weather could also cause mine, but I couldn't say for sure.

When I was getting huge migraines once a month my GP tried prescribing Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin). I couldn't say if it worked, but it turned my pee bright yellow.

I think Amitriptyline helped as long as I caught the migraine in time. But they can come on very suddenly.

Paracetamol and Ibupofren help, especially if you the take the quick release ones. You can get these over the counter.

I am, fingers crossed, getting them a lot more rarely now (haven't had a full blown one for about a year). I drink less and go to the gym now. Might help, I guess.
Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 22:04 - Jan 13 with 2479 viewsgerard1947

The trigger for me is caffeine. It happens very quickly starting with flashing lights on the edge of my vision leading to full blown migraine. I was out a few weeksbback and asked for decaf I was given freshly ground full coffee. Luckily my wife was with me to drive home, I couldn't have done.

I can sometimes reverse it with something very sweet, a flapjack works well. This only works if I eat it as soon as the syptoms start.
Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 22:12 - Jan 13 with 2449 viewsRamRob

For me I can guarantee I'll have one if I'm dehydrated, if I drink plenty of water I don't get them

Hate it when playing sport and drinks breaks are cancelled due to weather being too cold, I need the drink!!!

Poll: What should be the music when opposition score?

Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 08:33 - Jan 14 with 2253 viewsThe_Last_Baron

I'm prone to migrane with aura although I get maybe one or two a year now, used to be regular, one a month, sometimes more.

You're right about blood sugar levels. If I missed a meal I would be in danger of getting a migrane that evening or waking up the next morning with the remnants of one, having had it during my sleep. So don't miss meals as this definitely was the main factor.

Also, there are some who claim that energy saving light bulbs cause migraines. I don't know if this is true but a few years ago I replaced all the bulbs in my place with the old fashioned bulbs which the EU banned. You can get them online. This coincided with them becoming less frequent.

As for treating a migrane, as I get the vision problems first, it gives me a 20 minute warning before the pain hits. I just take some paracetamol immediately and this takes the edge off the pain. Lie in a quiet dark room, avoid screens and drink water.

One other thing, as you get older migraines should become less frequent. I believe between the ages of 18-40 are the worst.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2017 8:35]

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 10:04 - Jan 14 with 2185 viewstractorshark

I never used to get them, then my stress levels went through the roof at home and at work and now I get some horrific migraines.
Often, one side of my face goes numb which was pretty alarming the first time it happened.
They tend to form above my right ear and the pain is intense.
I haven't found any cure as yet. The only think that makes me feel better is when I vomit.
There is no pattern either. I've had a couple the first day of a holiday, which makes me think I've relaxed suddenly and it's kicked in. Other than that it's random.
You have my sympathy, they can be very debilitating.
Mind you, I've just had a nasty experience with kidney stones and, believe me, that is the worst pain I've ever had.
Does anyone here suffer from migraine on 13:54 - Jan 14 with 2106 viewscolincowpat

I am a long term sufferer, 15 years or so. Mine are with aura sometimes with a full 'ring'.

Doctors say there is little they can do...so my solution is to take a strong Ibuprofen (400mg) while the aura lasts (20 mins or so), this stops the headache. The after effects i.e. feeling slightly nauseous lasts into the next day.

This is a pattern which rarely deviates with the 6 to 9 migraines I have per year.

I hope this helps and good luck!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024