Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Raindrops keep falling on my head 08:57 - Aug 27 with 791 viewsPendejo

Wife went into our kitchen this morning to discover, not for the first time, that it had been flooded and the water was coming thru the ceiling from the flat above.

This has happened to us many times over the years, kitchen and bathroom flooded from above. Hasn't happened so much with the current tenants, their predecessors used their bathroom as a wet room, without the necessary sealing works, so I'd be sitting on my thrown and anything from drips to dribbles coming from the ceiling.

Last night's event appears to be because they had a leaky tap, maybe only the washer needed tightening, but rather than do something with the tap, they put in their plug and left it. We are not metered but apparently they wanted to save water.

Drip, drip, drip may not seem a lot of water but over 6 to 8 hours it builds up, then has overflowed around the top (blocked overflow?) and found its way through the concrete flooring.

The thing with water, it finds the path of least resistance, so doesn't necessarily fall directly below the sink. No, it falls all over our boiler and a double plug socket. If it had been winter and the boiler in operation....
We turn most of our sockets off when not in use, but wife is concerned our pressure cooker may be damaged.

Neighbours have been informed, as has their landlord... But our ceiling is a mess.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Raindrops keep falling on my head on 09:05 - Aug 27 with 758 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Can't stand neighbours like that, it must be a nightmare.

Do you own your flat or rent it? Does your insurance cover it.

One leak is bad luck, but multiple leaks is inexcusable.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2020 9:05]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Raindrops keep falling on my head on 09:13 - Aug 27 with 734 viewsGuthrum

Water can travel a surprisingly long way before finally emerging through the ceiling.

Unfortunately, you will have to wait for it to dry out completely before stain-blocking and painting, otherwise the marks will likely just reappear beyond the area you've covered, as the damp finds its way around. Hopefully it's just that and not damaged the platerboard.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Raindrops keep falling on my head on 10:47 - Aug 27 with 651 viewsRyorry

That's an absolute b*gger - if the flat's rented, do you know who the landlord is? Worth talking with if you can make contact, as it's obviously not a situation you want to risk happening again.

Reminds me of when ex & I bought a ground floor flat in London back in the 80s. When we went round to view prior to sale, I looked up & noticed a big bulge in ceiling above kitchen, but got taken no notice of when I pointed it out ...

6 months later, when we'd moved in, had similar situation to yours with massive leak - it was from their hot-water tank which needed replacing iirc.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Raindrops keep falling on my head on 13:31 - Aug 27 with 592 viewsPendejo

Raindrops keep falling on my head on 10:47 - Aug 27 by Ryorry

That's an absolute b*gger - if the flat's rented, do you know who the landlord is? Worth talking with if you can make contact, as it's obviously not a situation you want to risk happening again.

Reminds me of when ex & I bought a ground floor flat in London back in the 80s. When we went round to view prior to sale, I looked up & noticed a big bulge in ceiling above kitchen, but got taken no notice of when I pointed it out ...

6 months later, when we'd moved in, had similar situation to yours with massive leak - it was from their hot-water tank which needed replacing iirc.

That 're hot water tank is more than horrendous, numerous cases of people getting scalded in that situation.

We have the landlord's number and have telephoned him at 4am before when it appeared he'd not taken us seriously before.

uberima fides

Raindrops keep falling on my head on 13:45 - Aug 27 with 557 viewsuefacup81

Worth a chat with your insurer.

It may be that you claim off your own insurance, and then your insurer goes after your neighbours under the principle of subrogation, whereby they can pursue the party that caused the loss.

It'd save you the time and hassle of doing it yourself if you can do it that way without it affecting your premiums.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Raindrops keep falling on my head on 13:51 - Aug 27 with 536 viewsPendejo

Raindrops keep falling on my head on 09:05 - Aug 27 by Marshalls_Mullet

Can't stand neighbours like that, it must be a nightmare.

Do you own your flat or rent it? Does your insurance cover it.

One leak is bad luck, but multiple leaks is inexcusable.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2020 9:05]

Rent

I do not buy contents insurance, landlord above has been helpful in the past... But then he's making a packet off a mortgage free flat.

uberima fides

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024