Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I feel vindicated in my decision not to use this scheme. 09:13 - Oct 31 with 623 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/oct/30/treasury-rejects-theory-eat-out

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

I feel vindicated in my decision not to use this scheme. on 09:16 - Oct 31 with 584 viewsAce_High1

I did not get round to either, wonder what Paz thinks????
I feel vindicated in my decision not to use this scheme. on 09:17 - Oct 31 with 577 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I feel vindicated in my decision not to use this scheme. on 09:16 - Oct 31 by Ace_High1

I did not get round to either, wonder what Paz thinks????

"Meh"

I feel vindicated in my decision not to use this scheme. on 10:10 - Oct 31 with 509 viewsFixed_It

Doesn't sound very 'scientific' to me. Linked to rainfall patterns?

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

I feel vindicated in my decision not to use this scheme. on 10:13 - Oct 31 with 502 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I feel vindicated in my decision not to use this scheme. on 10:10 - Oct 31 by Fixed_It

Doesn't sound very 'scientific' to me. Linked to rainfall patterns?

Jonathan Portes, a professor of economics at King’s College London, said the Warwick paper was “methodologically sound.

“Thiemo is a very well-respected econometrician and he’s done the obvious checks. The estimated impacts are plausible. Is it proof? No. There are lots of potential confounders, in particular different mechanisms by which rain could influence infection independently of EOHO. So it’s not definitive, but I think the burden of proof is now on EOHO defenders.”

Portes also criticised the Treasury for failing to take the claim seriously, calling its response “childish and unprofessional”. “I would have expected better from a department that claims to take economics seriously,” he said.

I feel vindicated in my decision not to use this scheme. on 10:20 - Oct 31 with 489 viewsFixed_It

I feel vindicated in my decision not to use this scheme. on 10:13 - Oct 31 by BanksterDebtSlave

Jonathan Portes, a professor of economics at King’s College London, said the Warwick paper was “methodologically sound.

“Thiemo is a very well-respected econometrician and he’s done the obvious checks. The estimated impacts are plausible. Is it proof? No. There are lots of potential confounders, in particular different mechanisms by which rain could influence infection independently of EOHO. So it’s not definitive, but I think the burden of proof is now on EOHO defenders.”

Portes also criticised the Treasury for failing to take the claim seriously, calling its response “childish and unprofessional”. “I would have expected better from a department that claims to take economics seriously,” he said.

Oh well - what do I know?
Have to say that I ate out to help out a few times, and it all seemed pretty safe to me. And August isn't exactly the height of infection season.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

I feel vindicated in my decision not to use this scheme. on 10:41 - Oct 31 with 458 viewsbrogansnose

I feel vindicated in my decision not to use this scheme. on 10:20 - Oct 31 by Fixed_It

Oh well - what do I know?
Have to say that I ate out to help out a few times, and it all seemed pretty safe to me. And August isn't exactly the height of infection season.

I used it four times. TBH, it was safer than what the Mrs B and myself have to do at work and if I'd gone to a restaurant or pub and felt it was iffy then I would have walked.
I feel vindicated in my decision not to use this scheme. on 11:11 - Oct 31 with 409 viewsmikeybloo88

Used it a lot to help support my local village pubs and a few restaurants. All completely safe and to my knowledge no one came down with covid at all who visited these places and cases in my area were very very low until October when schools had been back for a month. Having walked past a few Spoons and other large pubs during the scheme and seeing how crammed they were, I would not be surprised if a number of cases did generate from those nights...many of those people looked like they'd probably not long got off a plane from Benidorm.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024