Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The more you see of this 10:00 - Nov 25 with 440 viewssotd78

The more you see of this the more you realise just how great Bobby Robson was.
We had players no better than we have now when he started but we played with a simple idea - get a spine down the team and build on it.
A decent keeper, a great centre back, a midfield dynamo, a playmaker, a winger, and a centre forward. That's six players.

Could PL or anyone on here tell me that we have ANY of those. Would Holy make a third choice in Robson's teams? (We never had three keepers in his day!). He reminds me of a tree trunk falling in a forest.
Would any of our so-called centre halves make it? Midfield? - perhaps Downes, Bishop if fit (ah there's another conundrum) a winger? Centre forward - LOL

Instead we've a big squad of very ordinary footballers - most of whom cannot stay fit.
Let's bin the manager, find a man who can spot talent, get rid of anyone unfit, no good and not interested and start again; get in some quality and build a team.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

The more you see of this on 10:23 - Nov 25 with 392 viewsFtnfwest

he hasn't to date managed this you're right but to my limited knowledge of such things, the main way the tactics of the game have changed since Robson's days relates more to teams having particular systems that they play to which negates to some degree the individual talents of the players. Henceforth from a standing start teams like Nodge (with far better recruitment as well i would add) being able to develop sides, over a bit of time, to improve playing whatever system is decided on at the start - with the better sides being able to be flexible on that system as well (Plan A and Plan B). Lambert in his tenure doesn't seem to even know his Plan A so we're back to a situation where we are able to beat a few teams with simply lower budgets (this season) because the level of players we have is still a bit above them, but no more and no progression.
The more you see of this on 10:25 - Nov 25 with 385 viewschrismakin

Burley is the closest we've had to sir Bobby.

Trust and coach the young, whilst having an eye for a player.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024