Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ups and Downs 10:20 - Oct 31 with 994 viewsoldburian

I am one of the oldest on here, 1950 being my first visit so I have seen all the ups and downs over the years. I remember when we first got promotion to the old Second Division, many supporters could still recall the amateur days, and hosting sides like West Ham with Harry Hooper on the wing was totally exciting. Of course it only lasted a year but is was the start and we built onto it. From then onto 2002 when we had a down we expected, and achieved, the up reasonably quickly. This last down has been agonising and lengthy, We had the odd glimpse of better days but unfortunately no end product. But this season expectations have been raised and every time we looked as though the up was on we had a result that put us back. It is the anticipation that is killing and, nearing 80 years of age, the adrenalin rushes are still there even when watching on Sky Sports centre on an evening or Saturday afternoon. This frustration is shared by all committed supporters hence the adverse reaction at any poor performance
I am too much involved with club to know what the rest of the season will bring but I can see the improvement in the football, we attack with purpose and defend with the worst. The groundwork has been done and hopefully it will bring success whether Paul Cook or another amanger. It is just at my age I hope it is sooner rather than later!
Ups and Downs on 10:44 - Oct 31 with 929 viewsjasondozzell

Great Post. Really enjoyed reading. Hopefully the 'up' is on its way!
Ups and Downs on 13:24 - Oct 31 with 860 viewsoldburian

Ups and Downs on 10:44 - Oct 31 by jasondozzell

Great Post. Really enjoyed reading. Hopefully the 'up' is on its way!

Thank you for that, I also remember your first goal at PR. One of the many moments in the 70+ years of supporting. You looked as though you could do with a good helping of suet pudding that day a real straggly youth.
The club has gone a long way in those years. In the fifties we had our first playing international, Billy Reid - such pride. And then the queues for the tickets for the play off final in 2000 is something I will always remember.
Ups and Downs on 13:37 - Oct 31 with 843 viewspennblue

We have to look at where we were 12 months ago.

Now, when we lose, we head back to Portman Road, but there is no longer empty corridors there, with just Lee O'Neil there, no backing, no structure, no investment, no authority.

We now have an entire hierarchy at the club, experienced people that know what they are doing. From Peter Reid, Mike O'Leary, Mark Ashton, to the Sports science side of things.

Then you go a tier above, and you have the three lions, down to earth guys, who are sports mad, and have a track record of being successful with sports teams, backed by a decent budget that is more than enough to get us out of this league.

Disappointing is the most understated word to describe yesterday, but, we now have a structure, and we just have let that structure work. We will continue to see improvements, on and off the pitch, we have the desire, the ambition, and the funds to make that happen.

We are in a very different situation to 12 months ago.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Ups and Downs on 16:03 - Oct 31 with 754 viewsBlueBadger

Ups and Downs on 13:37 - Oct 31 by pennblue

We have to look at where we were 12 months ago.

Now, when we lose, we head back to Portman Road, but there is no longer empty corridors there, with just Lee O'Neil there, no backing, no structure, no investment, no authority.

We now have an entire hierarchy at the club, experienced people that know what they are doing. From Peter Reid, Mike O'Leary, Mark Ashton, to the Sports science side of things.

Then you go a tier above, and you have the three lions, down to earth guys, who are sports mad, and have a track record of being successful with sports teams, backed by a decent budget that is more than enough to get us out of this league.

Disappointing is the most understated word to describe yesterday, but, we now have a structure, and we just have let that structure work. We will continue to see improvements, on and off the pitch, we have the desire, the ambition, and the funds to make that happen.

We are in a very different situation to 12 months ago.

Mid table in the 3rd division with a squad of expensively assembled players who appear to be rather mentally fragile is definite progress from last season.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Ups and Downs on 16:08 - Oct 31 with 735 viewsNthsuffolkblue

You have seen some great times with the club. I hope they return so the fans who are too young to have experienced even 2000 and shortly after can enjoy some sort of success. Anyone who has stuck with us without seeing those days has my utmost respect.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Ups and Downs on 17:08 - Oct 31 with 672 viewsTheBlueGnu

Good post sir. Do you remember when Patricia Phoenix first joined the cast of Coronation Street ?

Poll: Other than "The Mean Machine", what was your favourite Wacky Races car ?

Ups and Downs on 18:58 - Oct 31 with 616 viewsoldburian

Ups and Downs on 17:08 - Oct 31 by TheBlueGnu

Good post sir. Do you remember when Patricia Phoenix first joined the cast of Coronation Street ?

Of course I do, she was a good looking young whippersnapper. Better looking than Ena Sharples but I quite fancied Concepter Riley behind the bar, married the Hewitt feller.
Ups and Downs on 20:09 - Oct 31 with 560 viewsTheBlueGnu

Ups and Downs on 18:58 - Oct 31 by oldburian

Of course I do, she was a good looking young whippersnapper. Better looking than Ena Sharples but I quite fancied Concepter Riley behind the bar, married the Hewitt feller.

Eileen Derbyshire - even better

Poll: Other than "The Mean Machine", what was your favourite Wacky Races car ?

Login to get fewer ads

Ups and Downs on 20:47 - Oct 31 with 509 viewsblueislander

Marvelous post,, and it made me feel quite young as my first visit to PR was in 53.. we have seen incredible times for our club. it is virtually impossible for me to see Town live now, but I do subscribe to Ifollow so I listen to the dulcet tones of Brenner Woolley and watch the matches when I cannot. The last two have seen Town score 10 without reply. A close friend who is approaching 80 has a season ticket, and he is much happier with the football the team are currently playing. Results notwithstanding this is a real plus. The current team are entertaining the fans better than at any time since Royle was Manager
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024