Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I like Cook 10:57 - Nov 29 with 760 viewshype313

But I just can't see it working out for him, he's essentially had nearly 50 odd players to work with since he's been here and he struggles to get any kind of consistency or cohesion from any of them. He still doesn't know his best front 3 behind Bonne, he doesn't have much confidence in Evans and he just seems completely lost.

How many times have we all said "He needs to start winning games soon" or "Give him the next 3" (I've been guilty of that) before we say enough is enough. I like Cook, he's clearly trying his best, working hard and has bundles of enthusiasm to get us winning, but football is a brutal, ruthless business, he hasn't cut the mustard since day one, how long do you keep persevering in the hope?

Nothing he has shown in his time here suggests he's got the right formula or ideas to push us on.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

I like Cook on 11:09 - Nov 29 with 687 viewsclive_baker

He has players with individual quality who can pull off something special like Celina did yesterday, which will probably be enough against half the teams at this level. On our day we've shown we can blow teams aside, tough ones at that (Wycombe / Pompey away) when we're on song, we have the quality to do that, but it's all too rare. We really lack consistency in terms of reaching a level anything like that on a more regular basis, and we don't look like a well organised team to me. Defensively we've been frail, we seem lethargic off the ball and low energy at times, seemingly lacking urgency. When we're good we're very good, but when we're poor we're no better than pre Cook Ipswich and we've seen far too much of that, we've been so hit and miss. Largely miss.

Who knows why that is, but I can't help but feel for all of the investment we've made on the pitch and behind the scenes, I'm not sure we've got a management and coaching team that instills much confidence in me, or can evidence much experience, beyond Cook himself.

Ultimately, the total is less than the sum of parts. This is Cook's squad now, they've had enough time to get going and frankly the excuses have dried up. It's a big Christmas period and if we aren't showing signs of progress through it, I really think there will be pressure on him come the new year, and rightly so.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I like Cook on 11:12 - Nov 29 with 673 viewsN2_Blue

Exactly how i feel.

Unfortunately the key point is you final sentence. It is only this reason why I want a change. I just don't see any progression nearly half a season and he seems as lost as ever. The substitutions and how we played in final 30 mins v Crewe were seriously odd.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

I like Cook on 11:26 - Nov 29 with 639 viewsfab_lover

"I like Cook, he's clearly trying his best, working hard and has bundles of enthusiasm to get us winning"

I feel differently. To my mind, his failings are:

- how he dealt with the players, and the results he achieved, last season;
- saying that there were too many players when he came in, but essentially repeating that with the squad he built;
- singling out Morsy as the key component of the new team, in so doing "damning" the other players he'd signed;
- not really taking personal responsibility for the way the team is playing now. We've had the team not gelling (whose responsibility is that ?), making out teams like Crewe are some sort of challenge (a home win against the bottom team should not be anything other than a foregone conclusion with our squad) now apparently it's the fans and their "divine right" to expect results. What's next ? The pitch isn't perfect ?

People say "he works hard" but do we know that ?

He's paid a shedload of cash, and been given a shedload of cash, to achieve, and he hasn't; and there's no sign he will. So, although I wish him no ill, I don't like Cook. His job is to deliver - and he's failed.
I like Cook on 11:37 - Nov 29 with 597 viewshype313

I like Cook on 11:26 - Nov 29 by fab_lover

"I like Cook, he's clearly trying his best, working hard and has bundles of enthusiasm to get us winning"

- saying that there were too many players when he came in, but essentially repeating that with the squad he built;
- singling out Morsy as the key component of the new team, in so doing "damning" the other players he'd signed;
- not really taking personal responsibility for the way the team is playing now. We've had the team not gelling (whose responsibility is that ?), making out teams like Crewe are some sort of challenge (a home win against the bottom team should not be anything other than a foregone conclusion with our squad) now apparently it's the fans and their "divine right" to expect results. What's next ? The pitch isn't perfect ?

He's paid a shedload of cash, and been given a shedload of cash, to achieve, and he hasn't; and there's no sign he will. So, although I wish him no ill, I don't like Cook. His job is to deliver - and he's failed.

That's completely fair enough, and I don't disagree with any of that.

I like Cook on 12:45 - Nov 29 with 466 viewsHighgateBlue

I agree with you general thrust.

Specifically on Evans, I think it's a little harsh to criticise him for dropping Evans. He's been criticised by the fans for having no plan B, and I just see this as an attempt, against a lowly club (who only have 3 points away from home), to shake it up a bit, take a more positive approach, and not pick a player on blind loyality, but leave him out on form.

But yes, agree entirely with everything else unfortunately.
I like Cook on 12:48 - Nov 29 with 431 viewshype313

I like Cook on 12:45 - Nov 29 by HighgateBlue

I agree with you general thrust.

Specifically on Evans, I think it's a little harsh to criticise him for dropping Evans. He's been criticised by the fans for having no plan B, and I just see this as an attempt, against a lowly club (who only have 3 points away from home), to shake it up a bit, take a more positive approach, and not pick a player on blind loyality, but leave him out on form.

But yes, agree entirely with everything else unfortunately.

The sad thing is I had such high expectations with Cook, I appreciated it may take time for the players to bed in, but it's been 20 odd games now and he still seems no further forward with his thinking of the first eleven.

I just feel by all these changes, and the riches of having all the players he could wish for has completely clouded his thinking and he seems like a rabbit caught in headlights.

I'd dearly love for him to prove me wrong and take us on an exciting journey, but right now, I can't see it at all.

I like Cook on 12:51 - Nov 29 with 418 viewspennblue

I like Cook on 11:26 - Nov 29 by fab_lover

"His job is to deliver - and he's failed"

Damn right, we could have gone up this season if it was not down to him

"People say "he works hard" but do we know that ?"

Yeah, I think you are right, someone told me he was seen down the Red Lion and down the bookies the other day. He looks like a real lazy sod he does, he has no passion or care about winning. Born loser I think he is.

Honestly, what a load of nonsense.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024