Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TraumaZone - Adam Curtis 11:46 - Oct 31 with 851 viewsmonytowbray

Seen a lot of whinging there's no narration which is out of character for Curtis and is lazy, but honestly I think the visuals and edit do more to demonstrate the utter madness of the Soviet Union collapse and Russian corruption thereafter by oligarchs.

The timing and parallels with UK politics right now says more than Curtis could add with a voiceover. Also enjoying the archive footage as someone who loves the documentation of mundane everyday history.

God, we really do need to throw these Tory c**ts out on their arse sooner rather than later. I've said it already but watch the next GE them going full Qanon with accusations of rigged democracy because they didn't like the result (which will be ironic considering the absolute divine right to steer the country the current showers claimed with a share of a non-binding referendum vote that would have been a tie in any functional democracy).

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

TraumaZone - Adam Curtis on 12:05 - Oct 31 with 797 viewsbournemouthblue

The clamour for democracy and sovereignty always amused me given it was the Tories leading it

This is literally a party who's entire life goal is dedicated to giving their own control away and into the hands of private business

They'd Privatise the BBC, NHS and Royal Family if they could get away with it

Our own system is far from democratic itself yet people somehow wanted more of this

Brexit is as predicted, turning into a real sh1t storm, who'd thunk it?
[Post edited 31 Oct 2022 12:07]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

TraumaZone - Adam Curtis on 13:29 - Oct 31 with 706 viewsmonytowbray

TraumaZone - Adam Curtis on 12:05 - Oct 31 by bournemouthblue

The clamour for democracy and sovereignty always amused me given it was the Tories leading it

This is literally a party who's entire life goal is dedicated to giving their own control away and into the hands of private business

They'd Privatise the BBC, NHS and Royal Family if they could get away with it

Our own system is far from democratic itself yet people somehow wanted more of this

Brexit is as predicted, turning into a real sh1t storm, who'd thunk it?
[Post edited 31 Oct 2022 12:07]

I find Curtis’ thoughts on nationalism and what has been done in its name (intentionally or unexpected consequences) are the exact arguments that hardened nationalists (or even mild ones) really need to ponder. A lot of people don’t like realising they’ve shaped their entire personality and existence on a national identity that’s largely airbrushed or false. It’s a cult, and ironically has more in common with the lack of individual freedom in Communism than anything that scary old Jezza believed in.

There is a contradiction in what libertarians think they stand for and how their behaviour is entirely dependant on the same basic needs supported by corporations instead of a political party. They can’t see it as the illusion of choice does a lot of heavy lifting. These people complain about government control infringing on them but then cream their pants when AnCaps like Musk buys Twitter to push an agenda they agree with. People can barely live in the West without McDonalds and Love Island - let alone if the economy entirely collapsed and all the supermarkets were empty. I think stuff like this will start to bite in Europe sooner or later if we don’t reform UK democracy with safeguards to stop corruption and allow accountability at all levels - be in Johnson as PM or the media pushing outright lies.

Disaster capitalism, weeeee!

TWTD never forgets…

TraumaZone - Adam Curtis on 13:35 - Oct 31 with 687 viewsCobboldCrusty

Absolutely spot on. When I turned it on and realised we weren't going to hear his voice I was initially a bit disappointed because it's so much of what characterises his work. If he was talking over the footage in Traumazone though it would definitely take away from what the pictures convey. I think it is amongst his best work.
TraumaZone - Adam Curtis on 13:38 - Oct 31 with 678 viewsmonytowbray

TraumaZone - Adam Curtis on 13:35 - Oct 31 by CobboldCrusty

Absolutely spot on. When I turned it on and realised we weren't going to hear his voice I was initially a bit disappointed because it's so much of what characterises his work. If he was talking over the footage in Traumazone though it would definitely take away from what the pictures convey. I think it is amongst his best work.

For sure. As someone who has a TV & Film Production degree (a 2.2 and waste of paper no less, I was young and drunk) I can say the skill in finding the footage and music to get the message across is much harder and ironically a voiceover is arguably a lazier way. It’s a step up in his work, which is quite amazing considering the benchmark!

Even more impressive is the parallels he’s made between our Boris and their Boris without actually saying it out loud. MWAH to the chef.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2022 13:42]

TWTD never forgets…

TraumaZone - Adam Curtis on 13:57 - Oct 31 with 621 viewsArnoldMoorhen

For those thinking, like me, "OK, but where can I see it?" It is on BBC iPlayer.

A full review here:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/oct/13/russia-1985-1999-traumazone
TraumaZone - Adam Curtis on 15:03 - Oct 31 with 572 viewsStrimmer

Absolutley agree the lack of voice over definitely either draws out the skill in the editing to make points (and jokes!), or indeed encourages it. So yes the opposite of lazy.

I do suspect the VO had become a bit too much of a meme in recent years and probably wanted to step back from that. See the recent (hilarious) Enfield and Whitehouse 100 years of BBC retrospective which is a direct parody of The Curtis Style.

Poll: Was it a punch?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024