Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One year on 12:06 - May 22 with 1073 viewsCotty

A year to the day that somebody walked into the entrance of a concert hall, setting off an explosion that killed 22 innocent people, maiming countless others in the process. Predominantly young people and children. Surely nothing positive could come out of something so horrific?

Well that couldn't be further from the truth. The people of this city stood together in love, and in defiance of hate, and continue to do so. Manchester is a fantastic place to live, the people here make it what it is.

The anniversary has particularly hit me today, as I think of those members of the public who were first on the scene, and administered first aid to those who had been injured in the blast. The bravery of these people cannot be understated, as they put their own lives in possible harms way in a desperate attempt to save others.

On Sunday, while driving for a pub lunch in Surrey with family after a birthday celebration the day before, we happened upon a cyclist who was lying spread-eagled on the tarmac, with a group of three people around him, administering CPR. It is still not clear, but he had either been in an accident and broken his neck, or had suffered a cardiac arrest. Nobody had witnessed the incident. My wife is first-aid trained, and we immediately pulled over to offer our help, with my brother's sister-in-law also joining in. Having only basic heart start training myself, I had to look after our infant son while they ran over and took turns administering chest compressions.

As time went on, more people arrived with suitable training - a former nurse, a doctor, who just happened to be driving by. As anybody who has ever had the misfortune to see somebody die will testify, you can really tell when there is no hope. This man, probably only in his mid-40s was ashen-faced, and not responding. But these members of the public put that aside, and continued to work, in the hope of giving this man a fighting chance. Within a few minutes, first responders arrived, followed by air ambulance paramedics, who shortly after arriving on the scene, declared the man dead.

The brave members of the public who had worked so hard were tearful at the loss, but they were also safe in the knowledge that they had done all they can.

I just wanted to pay tribute to all those who are there for us when we need them the most, from the emergency services, to ordinary members of the public, who with a little training and a lot of bravery, can do extraordinary things.

I would also urge as many of you as possible to undertake, at the very least, heart-start training and basic first aid. I will be refreshing my training as soon as I can, in the hope that next time, if required, I can give somebody the help that they so desperately need.

Stay safe everyone.

Cotty

xxx
One year on on 15:30 - May 22 with 976 viewsJ2BLUE

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

One year on on 18:34 - May 22 with 904 viewsRyorry

In some areas, like here in rural N. Yorks, it's incredibly difficult to find available first aid training courses that aren't set up as part of training by an employer, unless you can get together a group of at least 10 or 12, and book a village hall or whatever + book a trainer from organisation such as St John's A. Places also cost a lot of money.

Anyway, you've just nudged me a reminder that I promised to do exactly that this year, to a young Mum who'd just witnessed another neighbour & his helper falling off a ladder from first floor (external), one on to a pile of rocky rubble below. One had to be air-ambulanced to hosp. Both escaped very serious injury, luckily - but we're at least 20 mins from the nearest official first aid help, and a 15 mins drive by quickest road ambulance.

Will get onto it tomoz, cheers.

R.I.P. the 22; and thoughts with those who remain injured.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

One year on on 22:36 - May 22 with 853 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Only just seen this Cotty. Nice touch.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024