Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Singapore Grand Prix 16:48 - Jul 12 with 2060 viewsBueller

Thinking of going in September, any suggestions on what grandstand/zone is best?
Singapore Grand Prix on 19:31 - Jul 12 with 1999 viewsAdam

I am going and already got tickets. I have never been but looking forward to it. I am sitting in the 'Bay Grandstand' which is one of the cheapest but it is a decent view of the track/entertainment and good view beyond the track. As I haven't been before I can't really say what the best place is though!
Singapore Grand Prix on 19:38 - Jul 12 with 1994 viewsStokieBlue

Marina Bay Sands infinity pool with cocktails surely?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Singapore Grand Prix on 20:09 - Jul 12 with 1976 viewsAdam

Singapore Grand Prix on 19:38 - Jul 12 by StokieBlue

SB

We couldn’t afford that hotel for the 8/9 days we are there but we have booked it for one night! We can’t wait!
Singapore Grand Prix on 20:18 - Jul 12 with 1961 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

My tip is to make sure you seem some more of Asia than Singapore, which is basically not Asia, really western + expensive. Been there a few times a for work and not massively impressed. Sure a night race would be fun though.
Singapore Grand Prix on 20:23 - Jul 12 with 1942 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Singapore Grand Prix on 19:38 - Jul 12 by StokieBlue

SB

Pool aside that hotel is a nightmare when you're drunk. It like a 200 story shopping mall, can never find my room.
Singapore Grand Prix on 21:11 - Jul 12 with 1923 viewsStokieBlue

Singapore Grand Prix on 20:23 - Jul 12 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Pool aside that hotel is a nightmare when you're drunk. It like a 200 story shopping mall, can never find my room.

I'll find that out in a few months.

Only going for the pool, no illusions about the hotel or hordes of Russian tourists.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Singapore Grand Prix on 21:22 - Jul 12 with 1907 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Singapore Grand Prix on 21:11 - Jul 12 by StokieBlue

I'll find that out in a few months.

Only going for the pool, no illusions about the hotel or hordes of Russian tourists.

SB

Don't forget your credit card.
Singapore Grand Prix on 02:50 - Jul 13 with 1853 viewsKTBlue

I've done several, and connaught is my favourite, though all are fine. Make sure you have zone 4 access, which I think they all do anyway.

Ignore what people say about it being stupidly expensive. I'm assuming you won't be buying a car or house, or sending your kids to school?

You can eat and drink a hell of a lot cheaper than in the UK, you just have to be a little savvy, and not spend all your time in the CBD, Marina Bay or Clarke Quay.
Login to get fewer ads

Singapore Grand Prix on 10:34 - Jul 13 with 1778 viewsTractorWood

Really fun city. I've been with work a few times and as a city break to break up long flights. I’d recommend:

- Haji lane is excellent on Friday nights. There is an great Italian restaurant called Cicheti on Kandahar St. I’d book though
- I’d really recommend hiking around MacRitchie Reservoir and doing the tree top walk. I think the Southern Ridges hike is meant to be good too but haven’t done it.
- Go for Thai food at the Golden Mile mall, it looks rough and ready but the food is amazing
- Banana Leaf Apolo in Little India has decent Indian food but can be a bit chaotic. Good for lunch
- I like the Halia for food in the Singapore Botanic Gardens after a twilight stroll. The gardens are amazing there, especially at dusk.
- There’s a bar called ‘Loof’ (Singlish way of saying roof) near Kampong Glam. It’s got a good happy hour and good bar snacks.
- There is Din Tai Fung and Paradise Dynasty both at Orchard for traditional Chinese Xiaolongbao (steamed dumplings) but in a Western-ish setting — go well before 9 as they are in malls.
- Get the ferry from Changi jetty to Palau Ubin. It's an amazing little island where you can rent a mountain bike and explore the island. There are little places to grab lemon chicken and a beer. A great break from the hubbub.
- Strangers Reunion near the CBD is a cool little haunt for brunch. They do great coffee and some really interesting beers.
- There's a really cool craft beer place called Druggists near Lavender (I think). Would recommend.

As for hotels I'd recommend the Quincy near Orchard/Robinson Road or the One Farrer hotel and spa near Farrer Park. Both usually represent fantastic value and are is good locations to explore. The Quincy also has a free beer and appetisers hour.

As for transport the MRT is amazing but taxi's are also very cheap. Grab and Uber are good choices too.

There’s lots of generic roof top bars, Michelin star restaurants but the above are the best way to sort the expensive tourist traps from the genuine quality and value. PM if you need any tips.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2018 10:37]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024