Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question from Dynasties 08:47 - Dec 3 with 896 viewsStokieBlue

So I assume a fair number are watching this, it's decent but I don't think the single story arc works as well as some other formats like Planet Earth.

Something did come to mind last night though. People always say that humans are a violent species but in most of the episodes the same species has essentially gone to war with itself and inflicted horrible damage on members of it's own species and often taken over.

So are humans really anymore violent than other species or is this type of behaviour just the norm when competing for resources.

I know there is the further argument that humans are intelligent and should be able to control this behaviour (this is clearly a good as valid point) but if you remove the intelligence and moral angle are humans any more violent than other species?

SB
[Post edited 3 Dec 2018 14:05]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Question from Dynasty's on 08:50 - Dec 3 with 878 viewsNo9

That isn't a 10 page discussion i's a 10 pint discussion adn may in itself start a war
Question from Dynasty's on 09:10 - Dec 3 with 858 viewshomer_123

No more violent, just more capable of potential mass extinction level events brought on by it's own actions.

Dolphins are unlikely to be able to bring about the end of the world in a nuclear Armageddon. Whereas, whilst they might be very violent both to other species and their own, they haven't developed weapons of mass destruction.

What makes us even worse is that they have the intelligence and understanding to do the right thing but we choose not to.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Question from Dynasty's on 09:15 - Dec 3 with 850 viewsStokieBlue

Question from Dynasty's on 09:10 - Dec 3 by homer_123

No more violent, just more capable of potential mass extinction level events brought on by it's own actions.

Dolphins are unlikely to be able to bring about the end of the world in a nuclear Armageddon. Whereas, whilst they might be very violent both to other species and their own, they haven't developed weapons of mass destruction.

What makes us even worse is that they have the intelligence and understanding to do the right thing but we choose not to.

Yes, that's the intelligence and moral argument.

But on a fundamental level as a species we don't seem any more violent than most the other species out there - just more capable.

SB

Question from Dynasty's on 09:20 - Dec 3 with 842 viewsfooters

I'm not sure being more intelligent than a) another human or b) another species means that you can control impulses any better.

If we're looking at how capable we are of destruction compared to other species, I'd say that those impulses almost cease to exist at the top level. Generals don't act on impulse or anger (well, maybe a tiny bit) but their destructive behaviours are almost clinical.

P.S. What the hell are you doing starting a thread like this on a Monday morning, SB? Give us mere mortals time to get the grey matter in gear!

P.P.S What channel was this on? Hadn't heard of the programme before but sounds interesting.,

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Question from Dynasty's on 09:36 - Dec 3 with 826 viewsStokieBlue

Question from Dynasty's on 09:20 - Dec 3 by footers

I'm not sure being more intelligent than a) another human or b) another species means that you can control impulses any better.

If we're looking at how capable we are of destruction compared to other species, I'd say that those impulses almost cease to exist at the top level. Generals don't act on impulse or anger (well, maybe a tiny bit) but their destructive behaviours are almost clinical.

P.S. What the hell are you doing starting a thread like this on a Monday morning, SB? Give us mere mortals time to get the grey matter in gear!

P.P.S What channel was this on? Hadn't heard of the programme before but sounds interesting.,

It's a good warm-up for the week ahead!

It's the new Attenborough documentary:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06mvmmr

SB

Question from Dynasty's on 09:37 - Dec 3 with 825 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nope it doesn't work as well, seems a bit forced at times. Mind you, they are still amazing stories and I like that we get to follow a group of animals for the slightly longer term. That's a bit of a break from convention and I think adds a lot to the stories. Stunning film work as ever too.

I'm deeply jealous of the film crew. To get a long commission like that and be so invested in what you're filming must be a deeply moving and humbling experience.

We're probably no more violent, but the combination of violent tendencies, advanced tool making abilities and our proliferation makes the scale of violence and destruction so much larger than for other animals.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2018 9:37]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024