Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Seems by Lambert’s comments... 12:58 - Jan 7 with 5119 viewsbackwiththeboysagain

...that he’s only just seen what a shambles we’re in, or Evans isn’t as forthcoming with funds as maybe he promised. Can’t see him staying around if the latter is the case, and who can blame him? Just hope a few more digs at ME publicly might persuade him to back the manager, but with an owner who says nothing we have no idea of what’s really going on.
Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 13:07 - Jan 7 with 5076 viewsIllinoisblue

Transfer window so far: A Leicester reserve, a striker who’s been injured for five years and some unknown last knocking around in the MLS. Evans has made his ambitions very clear. Lambert will be gone in the next couple of months

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 13:12 - Jan 7 with 5030 viewsGuthrum

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 13:07 - Jan 7 by Illinoisblue

Transfer window so far: A Leicester reserve, a striker who’s been injured for five years and some unknown last knocking around in the MLS. Evans has made his ambitions very clear. Lambert will be gone in the next couple of months

However, those names must have been put forward (or, at least, approved) by Lambert. So they are players he actually wants.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 13:16 - Jan 7 with 5006 viewsBLUEBEAT

Lambert was obviously knocked back with his first list of targets (based on his comments at the start of the month). His actual signings so far are not players who can work miracles.

This new statement by Lambert gives him a reason to walk away when we do get relegated.

Evans won’t start getting frivolous with funding just because the current manager is getting tetchy and calling him out in a passive-aggressive manner. If anything, I reckon it will strengthen Evans’ resolve.

Poll: W or W

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 13:25 - Jan 7 with 4951 viewsGuthrum

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 13:16 - Jan 7 by BLUEBEAT

Lambert was obviously knocked back with his first list of targets (based on his comments at the start of the month). His actual signings so far are not players who can work miracles.

This new statement by Lambert gives him a reason to walk away when we do get relegated.

Evans won’t start getting frivolous with funding just because the current manager is getting tetchy and calling him out in a passive-aggressive manner. If anything, I reckon it will strengthen Evans’ resolve.

Strengthen his resolve to do what, tho?

Refuse to fund the players an experienced manager thinks are the only chance of us avoiding relegation? Deliberately damage his own investment further by taking us down into the third tier? Cut off his nose to spite his face?

Really, if Evans thinks we can survive in this division without spending a fair bit (by recent ITFC standards) this window, then his grasp on footballing reality is tenuous at best. We are in an emergency and emergency measures must be taken.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 13:34 - Jan 7 with 4905 viewsazuremerlangus

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 13:16 - Jan 7 by BLUEBEAT

Spend big or not? Either way it is a big gamble for ME. From both PL and ME's point of view (and ours too) there was an expectation that the improvement of performances would have translated into more points. This hasn't happened maybe losing some of ML's leverage for more funds and also some greater reticence from ME to open his wallet too wide.

As I have said before I think this month is when it all happens and we will know our destiny.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 13:41 - Jan 7 with 4878 viewseddiespearitt03

Our only hope this season is getting one or two "loan-deal" wonder kids to Portman Road from the Premiership clubs. We need more than another Tom Lawrence etc for the rest of the season.

Woolfenden, Cotter and Morris may get a chance and maybe Kenlock can slot into left midfield. After the Accrington defeat it is obvious we have to find a more battle hardened and regular team.
Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 13:46 - Jan 7 with 4849 viewsazuremerlangus

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 13:41 - Jan 7 by eddiespearitt03

Our only hope this season is getting one or two "loan-deal" wonder kids to Portman Road from the Premiership clubs. We need more than another Tom Lawrence etc for the rest of the season.

Woolfenden, Cotter and Morris may get a chance and maybe Kenlock can slot into left midfield. After the Accrington defeat it is obvious we have to find a more battle hardened and regular team.

I think that was of the first things PL wanted to achieve was a settled first 11 team. To a certain extent he has done that with fine tuning since. The debate is whether it is the right 11 and/or they are good enough.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 13:49 - Jan 7 with 4835 viewsMach_foreignBlue

At the same time Venkys, yes those bloody Blackburn Venkys have spent 7m on Ben Brereton.

According to some experts on here Evans has been nowhere near as bad owner as they are
[Post edited 7 Jan 2019 13:49]
Login to get fewer ads

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 13:52 - Jan 7 with 4806 viewsmarchy

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 13:49 - Jan 7 by Mach_foreignBlue

At the same time Venkys, yes those bloody Blackburn Venkys have spent 7m on Ben Brereton.

According to some experts on here Evans has been nowhere near as bad owner as they are

On who?
Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 13:56 - Jan 7 with 4777 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Vensky can see the bright lights and are spending on someone they can re sell at a similar price.
Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 13:59 - Jan 7 with 4751 viewsbilllm

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 13:46 - Jan 7 by azuremerlangus

I think that was of the first things PL wanted to achieve was a settled first 11 team. To a certain extent he has done that with fine tuning since. The debate is whether it is the right 11 and/or they are good enough.

That 11are not good enough,
Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 17:10 - Jan 7 with 4569 viewsBLUEBEAT

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 13:25 - Jan 7 by Guthrum

Refuse to fund the players an experienced manager thinks are the only chance of us avoiding relegation? Deliberately damage his own investment further by taking us down into the third tier? Cut off his nose to spite his face?

Really, if Evans thinks we can survive in this division without spending a fair bit (by recent ITFC standards) this window, then his grasp on footballing reality is tenuous at best. We are in an emergency and emergency measures must be taken.

Your second paragraph. Absolutely.

We will see how much he values his ITFC investment on 1st February.

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 17:14 - Jan 7 with 4556 viewsBackToRussia

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 13:25 - Jan 7 by Guthrum

The devil is in the detail. Let's put a figure on it. You lose £7 million in TV revenue going down, plus the inevitable loss in ticket sales and ST sales. Plus if you go down the club is automatically worth less, being one more league away from the PL. It starts to get abstract, but £10 million on wages and fees seems like a minimum to me.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 17:20 - Jan 7 with 4541 viewsPhilTWTD

As far as I'm aware the latter isn't the case, a significant amount of money is there for loan signings for the second half of the season, the issue is more getting players to come here given the current position.

Obviously there might be some deals which are seen as beyond the pale, Gestede appears to have been one along those lines, but there is money there to make the signings if the players want to come.
Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 19:09 - Jan 7 with 4350 viewsLeagueOne

Rumour is even sooner than that if he's not backed he may walk within weeks - it's that bad according to some but I will wait and see how things pan out. I cannot believe Evans wont deliver to Lambert what he promised finances wise because either way, Evans will have to spend big to get us up in the summer anyway so why not start building that team now rather than in a few months time? Get some players in that will be here next season and keep the man here.

If Evans fails to do this we'd have had Mick McCarthy, Bryan Klug, Paul Hurst, Paul Lambert and then someone else run the first team in such a small space of time, it would show the world that we're beyond a basket case.

Evans has to back Lambert, if he walks out then I can't even see his staunchest defenders on here back him any longer.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 19:13 - Jan 7 with 4326 viewswkj

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 19:09 - Jan 7 by LeagueOne

Rumour is even sooner than that if he's not backed he may walk within weeks - it's that bad according to some but I will wait and see how things pan out. I cannot believe Evans wont deliver to Lambert what he promised finances wise because either way, Evans will have to spend big to get us up in the summer anyway so why not start building that team now rather than in a few months time? Get some players in that will be here next season and keep the man here.

If Evans fails to do this we'd have had Mick McCarthy, Bryan Klug, Paul Hurst, Paul Lambert and then someone else run the first team in such a small space of time, it would show the world that we're beyond a basket case.

Evans has to back Lambert, if he walks out then I can't even see his staunchest defenders on here back him any longer.

I think it is a bit far to claim this as a rumour, rather than a summary of what a number of fans fear might happen when paired with the comments made in pressers.

A lot of people with big theories but little substance floating around.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 19:19 - Jan 7 with 4305 viewsBloomBlue

You have to accept no matter how much ME is going to offer for a player I cannot see any agent recommending to a player they move to Town on a permanent deal at the moment.
It will be the old No don't move you could be in L1 next season and then it's, is a club/player interested in a loan.
Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 19:42 - Jan 7 with 4211 viewsBLUEBEAT

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 19:19 - Jan 7 by BloomBlue

You have to accept no matter how much ME is going to offer for a player I cannot see any agent recommending to a player they move to Town on a permanent deal at the moment.
It will be the old No don't move you could be in L1 next season and then it's, is a club/player interested in a loan.

From a football perspective, Evans is now well established as distant, clueless, frugal and strict on the salary limit. What player would want to come here when he can earn several thousand pounds a week somewhere else? It’s that simple.

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 19:48 - Jan 7 with 4196 viewsLeagueOne

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 19:13 - Jan 7 by wkj

I think it is a bit far to claim this as a rumour, rather than a summary of what a number of fans fear might happen when paired with the comments made in pressers.

A lot of people with big theories but little substance floating around.

It's going round though - much as it was with Hurst, and the Bart thing. It's a sad camp, things get said and leaked when things are falling apart, happens in football, companies, political parties. He definitely sounds like he's not happy either way and thats fueling the "he's off" rumours.

As I said I don't rate Evans as a owner but I can't see him not delivering what he promised to Lambert. I just don't think Evans is that bad as to pull that one knowing we'd end up rudderless at our worst point in history.

Is Evans really that bad?

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 19:53 - Jan 7 with 4158 viewsLeagueOne

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 19:48 - Jan 7 by LeagueOne

It's going round though - much as it was with Hurst, and the Bart thing. It's a sad camp, things get said and leaked when things are falling apart, happens in football, companies, political parties. He definitely sounds like he's not happy either way and thats fueling the "he's off" rumours.

As I said I don't rate Evans as a owner but I can't see him not delivering what he promised to Lambert. I just don't think Evans is that bad as to pull that one knowing we'd end up rudderless at our worst point in history.

Classic downvote and hide from maximoalex

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 20:03 - Jan 7 with 4111 viewsgordon

Bradley Dack was the one in the summer of 2017 we missed out on - £750,000 was a great price for a midfielder who had all the attributes to step up, and had excelled in League One for a number of years. Will be in the Premier League one way or another soon.
Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 20:45 - Jan 7 with 4023 viewsNBVJohn

Seems by Lambert’s comments... on 19:48 - Jan 7 by LeagueOne

In my opinion yes he is that bad.

I understand the arguments and counter arguments about investment but MM and PH are not the only people responsible for the fact we’re a basket case, so let’s put that to one side for a moment

Years of a general lack of any passion, vision, plan or accountability goes deeper than who ever the current manager is, regardless of the budget.You only have to listen to one Of Milne’s pointless sound bites to see that. (Though thankfully these seem fewer and further between these days).

Evans has stripped away the links to the community that were damaged, though not irreparably by Sheepshank’s errors of judgement, and destroyed the goodwill of supporters through non existent communication and a steady increase in price versus a steady decline in quality.

The make do and mend approach of MM suited him perfectly. Love him or hate him, there was the man that backed properly would have got Evans and the club into the Premier League, and managed properly, reduced the debt and possibly even provided some kind of return on investment. Instead we got the corner cutting, short term approach that resulted in turgid football and a backlash at the only appointment Evans had got right up to that point. I hated MM’s football as much as I hated the abuse he got for keeping us vaguely competitive whilst Evans just let it all happen.

In my opinion Hurst was a disaster because ME failed to understand the huge step he was making - appointing someone with experience alongside him should have been a deal breaker, instead Hurst was given free reign and too much freedom too soon and our steady downward spiral turned into a free fall. Harnessed correctly Hurst’s arrogance could have been the making of us if someone was savvy enough to put the right governance structure in place. Who was on the Newport bench alongside their manager last night? Lennie Lawrence. What a difference someone like that could have made to Hurst, even if just to provide advice on man management.

And so to Lambert - I would have been furious if he had succeeded MM in the summer, but I accept that he is absolutely what is needed now. Trying to play decent football and build something. I am sure he knew he was taking on a poor side, but probably had no idea of the extent of the damage that 10 years of lack of creativity, strategy and back of house know how had done. Good luck to a decent man who if he can influence others with his positivity and experience, and get a few decent signings in, could build something worth having again. He can’t do it alone though. He has my utmost support.

There is no Godolphin coming to rescue us so far as I can see - if Evans can re-think his approach and support Lambert with infrastructure and take accountability for the failures with a view to long term improvements all round, may be we can slowly move forward. It will take some money no doubt, but a plan, some enthusiasm to match PL ‘s undoubted commitment and a strategy to improve the relationship with the Town and the supporters would be a start.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024