Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... 18:12 - Feb 6 with 1769 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

....well worth a read.....

https://www.theautomaticearth.com/2019/02/eat-less-meat-and-save-the-planet/

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 07:55 - Feb 7 with 1667 viewsgordon

read for a minute or two, didn't seem to be going anywhere and wasnt particularly well written. could you summarise?
Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 08:02 - Feb 7 with 1659 viewsHerbivore

It's very long and meandering for an opinion piece.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 08:56 - Feb 7 with 1628 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 07:55 - Feb 7 by gordon

read for a minute or two, didn't seem to be going anywhere and wasnt particularly well written. could you summarise?

Industrial agriculture is wrecking topsoil and relies on artificial fertiliser from gas (geopolitically and environmentally unsustainable). The best fertiliser of the lot is cow poo......therefore a truly sustainable diet includes cow and dairy but not factory farmed as we really need the poo. Back to the land peeps.

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 09:14 - Feb 7 with 1617 viewseireblue

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 08:56 - Feb 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

Industrial agriculture is wrecking topsoil and relies on artificial fertiliser from gas (geopolitically and environmentally unsustainable). The best fertiliser of the lot is cow poo......therefore a truly sustainable diet includes cow and dairy but not factory farmed as we really need the poo. Back to the land peeps.

The article is flawed, there is no science in the article that explains why poo from a 2 year old cow is different from a 20 year old cow.

It only considers non-human poo as well. Human poo can, and is used as a fertilizer, but I don’t believe in great quantities.
Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 09:36 - Feb 7 with 1605 viewsSwansea_Blue

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 08:56 - Feb 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

In short, it's a diet to sustain animal farmers then?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 10:05 - Feb 7 with 1579 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 09:14 - Feb 7 by eireblue

The article is flawed, there is no science in the article that explains why poo from a 2 year old cow is different from a 20 year old cow.

It only considers non-human poo as well. Human poo can, and is used as a fertilizer, but I don’t believe in great quantities.

Even better then.....anaerobic digestion at a local scale needs utilising more too.

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 10:42 - Feb 7 with 1560 viewseireblue

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 10:05 - Feb 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

Even better then.....anaerobic digestion at a local scale needs utilising more too.

So, yes, you have pointed out another flaw in the argument that the article tries to make.

If there are flaws in the argument, then the conclusion is not relevant.
Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 11:16 - Feb 7 with 1549 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 10:42 - Feb 7 by eireblue

So, yes, you have pointed out another flaw in the argument that the article tries to make.

If there are flaws in the argument, then the conclusion is not relevant.

Are you arguing for a continued reliance on industrial scale/factory farming dependent on fertilisers produced from natural gas. Personally I would prefer the more localised, sustainable model alluded to in the article.

I would happily go along with the 20 year old cows, although dairy would probably necessitate/make sensible the option of some farmed meat for those that wanted it. Personally I would probably go with some fish and game here and there in my imagined more sustainable future.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2019 11:20]

Login to get fewer ads

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 11:38 - Feb 7 with 1532 viewsHerbivore

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 11:16 - Feb 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

Are you arguing for a continued reliance on industrial scale/factory farming dependent on fertilisers produced from natural gas. Personally I would prefer the more localised, sustainable model alluded to in the article.

I would happily go along with the 20 year old cows, although dairy would probably necessitate/make sensible the option of some farmed meat for those that wanted it. Personally I would probably go with some fish and game here and there in my imagined more sustainable future.

Why are you killing the cows and stealing their milk if all we need is their sh!t?

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 11:50 - Feb 7 with 1527 viewseireblue

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 11:16 - Feb 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

No, not arguing for that.

Just pointing out that the article is flawed, and therefore the conclusion is meaningless.
Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 11:56 - Feb 7 with 1521 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 11:38 - Feb 7 by Herbivore

Why are you killing the cows and stealing their milk if all we need is their sh!t?

I'm not but others may want to.....if you come up with a sustainable 20 year old cows (in the necessary quantities)production loop with no spare dairy produce then let me know......or is buying imported rice and almond milk from a supermarket the sustainable choice.
Do you have any examples of sustainable agrarian systems that have not included animals.

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 12:01 - Feb 7 with 1515 viewsHerbivore

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 11:56 - Feb 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

I'm not but others may want to.....if you come up with a sustainable 20 year old cows (in the necessary quantities)production loop with no spare dairy produce then let me know......or is buying imported rice and almond milk from a supermarket the sustainable choice.
Do you have any examples of sustainable agrarian systems that have not included animals.

They'll produce milk for their calfs I imagine, not sure why humans should be stealing it. I drink oat milk, we grow oats.

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 12:06 - Feb 7 with 1506 viewsBackToRussia

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 12:01 - Feb 7 by Herbivore

They'll produce milk for their calfs I imagine, not sure why humans should be stealing it. I drink oat milk, we grow oats.

You just eat em when one dies. Farmed meat should be very rare. But you need animals to farm properly. It's a truth old as farming. Even the oats.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 12:06 - Feb 7 with 1505 viewseireblue

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 11:56 - Feb 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

No-kill diary farms do exist.

I wouldn’t buy Milk from one, but they exist.

Of course, humans don’t need diary milk. Humans don’t need replacement nut milks.

So you are setting up a false premise.
Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 13:14 - Feb 7 with 1468 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 12:06 - Feb 7 by BackToRussia

You just eat em when one dies. Farmed meat should be very rare. But you need animals to farm properly. It's a truth old as farming. Even the oats.

In the "what do you do ?" thread did you post that you work at something along these lines?

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 13:19 - Feb 7 with 1460 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 12:06 - Feb 7 by eireblue

No-kill diary farms do exist.

I wouldn’t buy Milk from one, but they exist.

Of course, humans don’t need diary milk. Humans don’t need replacement nut milks.

So you are setting up a false premise.

I was wasn't I !...interesting about no kill dairy. Still think the broad thrust of the article re local scale non industrialised 'green revolution' agriculture is the way to go.

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 13:19 - Feb 7 with 1459 viewsBackToRussia

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 13:14 - Feb 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

In the "what do you do ?" thread did you post that you work at something along these lines?

Yes pal, we're the gardeners union on ere (along with Benters lol). Work on a small organic farm

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 13:47 - Feb 7 with 1448 viewsRyorry

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 13:19 - Feb 7 by BackToRussia

Yes pal, we're the gardeners union on ere (along with Benters lol). Work on a small organic farm

You, me & Benters together!!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 13:55 - Feb 7 with 1438 viewsBackToRussia

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 13:47 - Feb 7 by Ryorry

You, me & Benters together!!

Eyyy, good old gardening. Will unite the world one day.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 14:00 - Feb 7 with 1428 viewsRyorry

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 13:55 - Feb 7 by BackToRussia

Eyyy, good old gardening. Will unite the world one day.

#Utopia!

Think human population growth might have taken a global hit by the time that happens, possibly through humankind's own stupidity one way or another - climate change, antibiotics crisis etc. Another controversial one, possibly a bit too heavy for here & now.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 14:12 - Feb 7 with 1413 viewsBackToRussia

Why a truly sustainable diet includes meat (sorry)....... on 14:00 - Feb 7 by Ryorry

#Utopia!

Think human population growth might have taken a global hit by the time that happens, possibly through humankind's own stupidity one way or another - climate change, antibiotics crisis etc. Another controversial one, possibly a bit too heavy for here & now.

Inevitable, inevitable. The capitalists are in charge and they won't change our course, we're crashing into the mountain. However, for whatever survivors left, regenerative agriculture will be the only way out. Whether we choose to take that option still remains unseen, but I am probably more pessimistic than you. I think it will take an utter planetary catastrophe for the capitalists to be unseated and a new form of living takes over.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024