Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
3 years today since 22 people were killed in the Manchester bombing 08:46 - May 22 with 677 viewsMullet

Let alone the tens injured and had their lives tipped upside down. Seems utterly surreal even now.

A girl in my form lost her friend, she'd have been 9 or so at the time. I think the day after when all the news hit was the hardest day, I still remember clearly sitting in the office trying to piece together which kids we knew had gone that night.

There's no proper memorial this year, but a live stream by the cathedral.

We've seen Stephen Yaxley-Lennon try to make money from it and spread hate. We've seen others come up here and politicise it, but it probably saw more good news stories come to light than anything else.

I don't think there was any greater tribute than this evening though.

[Post edited 22 May 2020 10:22]

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

3 years today since 22 people were killed in the Manchester bombing on 10:14 - May 22 with 615 viewsSwansea_Blue

Very surreal. Especially now the death toll from coronavirus in Greater Manchester is over 1,700. That's not to detract from the tragedy of the bombings of course, but just emphasises how that awful event feels like another world away now (and fuels my frustration at those people who continue to flaunt safety guidance).

RIP to those who lost their lives and hopefully we'll not see anything like it again.
[Post edited 22 May 2020 10:17]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

3 years today since 22 people were killed in the Manchester bombing on 13:05 - May 22 with 564 viewsMullet

3 years today since 22 people were killed in the Manchester bombing on 10:14 - May 22 by Swansea_Blue

Very surreal. Especially now the death toll from coronavirus in Greater Manchester is over 1,700. That's not to detract from the tragedy of the bombings of course, but just emphasises how that awful event feels like another world away now (and fuels my frustration at those people who continue to flaunt safety guidance).

RIP to those who lost their lives and hopefully we'll not see anything like it again.
[Post edited 22 May 2020 10:17]

The death toll was mercifully low, if he'd have got in earlier or into the main arena somehow he'd have killed hundreds.

Seems weird to look back and say that now.

But socially it changed so much in the city in my opinion. A section of people became more racist and that ripple effect is felt on almost every story on the MEN if you dare read the comments.

However, the positives massively outshone that. The Bee as a symbol was everywhere, from the tattoo campaign to bumper stickers but there was deeper less superficial stuff happening too. A lot of communities got together and united a little bit more.

Maybe COVID-19 will do that once we have some distance from it?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

3 years today since 22 people were killed in the Manchester bombing on 18:10 - May 22 with 503 viewsNewcyBlue

There are no words that can convey my sadness.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024