Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
67,000 Covid test's sent to US lab return unreliable results. 09:19 - Jun 4 with 972 viewsBasuco

Why is the UK using labs in the US and how much money is being diverted from patient care just to meet government targets? How has it come the the position in the UK that lab facilities are not available?
67,000 Covid test's sent to US lab return unreliable results. on 11:10 - Jun 4 with 905 viewsDarth_Koont

They were sending them to the US at the end of April too when it came to hitting the 100,000 target. Then in early May BoJo was saying that "capacity exceeds demand".

Which clearly translates as the global capacity for testing exceeds the UK's demand. No sh!t.

Added to which, the real demand for testing has been massive. It's just not been listened to by the government and it's the government's own demand for testing that has been limited.

Pronouns: He/Him

67,000 Covid test's sent to US lab return unreliable results. on 11:38 - Jun 4 with 876 viewslinhdi

There is now loads of lab capacity in Austria, Germany and even northern France. But we don't do Europe any more, it seems.

Lab facilities could have been made available in the UK, there are many that needed just a wee bit of adaptation. But the consultants (was it Deloitte?) who were given the job of operating the centralised UK testing model were only interested in large, ready-to-go facilities.

Germany ramped up their university and other medical research facilities, organised state-by-state.
67,000 Covid test's sent to US lab return unreliable results. on 11:46 - Jun 4 with 851 viewsSwansea_Blue

Lab facilities were/are available, but Public Health England initially centralised testing in the 8 labs that it controls, ignoring the many other labs around the country that had the expertise, equipment and regulatory clearances needed.

Out initial testing block appears entirely self-inflicted.

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/germany-covid-19-masterclass-testing

"The situation in the UK, where power is concentrated and often hoarded in central bodies, couldn’t have been more different. PHE centralised testing in eight labs that it controlled, with an initial capacity of 1,000 tests per day. This eventually expanded to hospital labs, but I spoke to doctors at several London hospitals and none of their in-house labs started testing until mid-March, three weeks after many German regions. Before that they were sending tests away to PHE, which became a bottleneck in the system.

I also spoke with several medical researchers in charge of labs with the expertise, equipment, and health and safety clearance to provide testing, who contacted PHE to offer their services in March, but were either ignored or rebuffed. “A good lab could do 1,000-2,000 tests a day. We could easily have 50 of those labs doing 50,000-100,000 tests a day. We were offering the facilities but it wasn’t on the cards at the time,” explained Alan McNally, of the University of Birmingham’s Institute of Microbiology and Infection."

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

67,000 Covid test's sent to US lab return unreliable results. on 11:52 - Jun 4 with 839 viewsPinewoodblue

67,000 Covid test's sent to US lab return unreliable results. on 11:46 - Jun 4 by Swansea_Blue

Lab facilities were/are available, but Public Health England initially centralised testing in the 8 labs that it controls, ignoring the many other labs around the country that had the expertise, equipment and regulatory clearances needed.

Out initial testing block appears entirely self-inflicted.

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/germany-covid-19-masterclass-testing

"The situation in the UK, where power is concentrated and often hoarded in central bodies, couldn’t have been more different. PHE centralised testing in eight labs that it controlled, with an initial capacity of 1,000 tests per day. This eventually expanded to hospital labs, but I spoke to doctors at several London hospitals and none of their in-house labs started testing until mid-March, three weeks after many German regions. Before that they were sending tests away to PHE, which became a bottleneck in the system.

I also spoke with several medical researchers in charge of labs with the expertise, equipment, and health and safety clearance to provide testing, who contacted PHE to offer their services in March, but were either ignored or rebuffed. “A good lab could do 1,000-2,000 tests a day. We could easily have 50 of those labs doing 50,000-100,000 tests a day. We were offering the facilities but it wasn’t on the cards at the time,” explained Alan McNally, of the University of Birmingham’s Institute of Microbiology and Infection."

An example of ‘experts’ getting it wrong. You have to wonder if those responsible for getting it wrong are still involved in decision making.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

67,000 Covid test's sent to US lab return unreliable results. on 12:05 - Jun 4 with 819 viewsSwansea_Blue

67,000 Covid test's sent to US lab return unreliable results. on 11:52 - Jun 4 by Pinewoodblue

An example of ‘experts’ getting it wrong. You have to wonder if those responsible for getting it wrong are still involved in decision making.

I don't think we're prepared to admit we're getting it wrong are we? At least not publically. I wonder if they are more self aware in private and looking to learn from mistakes - no idea?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

67,000 Covid test's sent to US lab return unreliable results. on 12:59 - Jun 4 with 794 viewsEireannach_gorm

67,000 Covid test's sent to US lab return unreliable results. on 12:05 - Jun 4 by Swansea_Blue

I don't think we're prepared to admit we're getting it wrong are we? At least not publically. I wonder if they are more self aware in private and looking to learn from mistakes - no idea?

Should learn from this previous Irish mistake.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/us-firm-at-centre-of-cancer-screening-sca
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024