Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Taking my son to his first game tomorrow 10:15 - Sep 10 with 789 viewsDBaldy

He's nearly 10 & has liked playing footy for years, but he's "on the spectrum" & as a result has the attention span of a goldfish if something doesn't interest him.

Until the Euro's he'd never watched a full game on TV, but he got really into it & said he'd like to go to a game, so we picked this one.

Main question really then is what will there be to keep him interested / occupied prior to the game? Is the Fanzone worth a look or any other suggestions?
Taking my son to his first game tomorrow on 10:30 - Sep 10 with 731 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

I’ve never bothered with the Fanzone myself so can’t comment there but why not head to the riverside to check out the boats, or the station for trains if that’s his thing?

Both a short walk from the stadium and you can rock up with 15 to go to save sitting around d and becoming bored.
Taking my son to his first game tomorrow on 10:31 - Sep 10 with 728 viewsBluish

I tried taking my son a few times, now aged 12 and is similarly on the spectrum, and he found the loudness of the PA system and crowd somewhat overwhelming for him. And he got bored, but this was McCarthy football, so quite understandable. I took his tablet as a backup, which proved useful. He just doesn’t ‘get’ football sadly, but my daughter is hooked now. Hope you manage to enjoy your day.
Taking my son to his first game tomorrow on 11:06 - Sep 10 with 662 viewsSWGF

Beware of queues to get in the Fanzone (and again inside, if you want a drink). To be honest there's not much going on in there. A couple of five-a-sides and a goal to take penalties in. Just a bit of an area to spread out in before the match really.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Taking my son to his first game tomorrow on 14:56 - Sep 10 with 554 viewsFreddies_Ears

Fanzine is great for kids, but only in good weather (tomorrow should be perfect - dry and not too hot). Always loads of kids / families there, so they must be getting something right!
Taking my son to his first game tomorrow on 15:06 - Sep 10 with 527 viewsportmanroadblue

Taking my son to his first game tomorrow on 14:56 - Sep 10 by Freddies_Ears

Fanzine is great for kids, but only in good weather (tomorrow should be perfect - dry and not too hot). Always loads of kids / families there, so they must be getting something right!

I used to take my kids to the playground behind the North Stand.
Taking my son to his first game tomorrow on 15:07 - Sep 10 with 527 viewsMookamoo

Get him a scrapbook and help him document the experience. Not only will it be great to look back on, but will also help keep his focus while you explore. Take loads of photos (and then get them printed out when you get home)

Also, if you get there early, go and sit in your seats for a bit when it is quiet. Get all the hassle of where you will be out of the way, so when you want to sit and watch the game, you can leave it late before finding your seats. The combination of a flustered parent trying to locate the seats, plus all the noise and stimulation can be overwhelming for someone with sensory issues.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024