Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I know we're in a pandemic 11:04 - Oct 26 with 615 viewshype313

But personally I'm starting to really miss going to games, just sat here thinking about tomorrow night's game under the lights, bit of a chill, couple of beers beforehand the nervous excitement about what might happen.

Going to really cherish the whole experience once were allowed back into stadiums and certainly not take it for granted going forward, when that will be is anyone's guess, I'm kinda saying to myself next August, as anything before will be a bonus.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

I know we're in a pandemic on 11:07 - Oct 26 with 595 viewsRonFearonsHair

I miss it terribly.

I can't imagine how all the supporters who had enjoyable football to watch are feeling.
I know we're in a pandemic on 11:18 - Oct 26 with 571 viewsLankHenners

Yeah, not expecting to be back any time soon but it's very strange to have something that was a big and regular part of your life suddenly stop and you engage with it in a different way.

For all the arguments people make about cinemas and people going to the grounds but watching on a screen from the executive lounges etc. (although there are some pretty obvious differences and the people banging on about them aren't making the point they think they are), the government will stand strong on their 'at least 6 months' time frame, especially with cases and R number as they are. If the vaccine is ready and starting to be dished out at some point next year (probably early spring at best) then we could see some 'trial' matches resume before the season's out, but like you I'm just assuming this season's a write-off so I don't have to get my hopes up.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

I know we're in a pandemic on 11:24 - Oct 26 with 554 viewshomer_123

I'll be honest - I'm not overly missing it.

I think, in part, that is to do with my general feeling towards 'football' that has been compounded by the way the game continues to eat itself alive during the pandemic.

In part, I also admit, watching Town hasn't been an enjoyable experience for a number of years and we continue to not look like changing that in the near future. Even promotion from League 1 would feel hollow to be honest.

Finally, I've found other things to do with my time that I am enjoying as much if not more than travelling to football matches.

That said, I suspect I would feel differently if going to matches was never on the cards again.

Note: I've been a season ticket holder for many, many years and continue to be one now. I was happy to buy one for this season in the full knowledge of what it was going to be like but was happy to support the club.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I know we're in a pandemic on 11:26 - Oct 26 with 546 viewsSteve_M

Yes, Tuesday night matches from London are always a little tricky with timing and getting back late even if Greater Anglia is running normal trains but I would love that kind of hassle tomorrow night/

Even though the prospect of some fans getting back to matches a couple of months ago - crap as it might have been - was still better than nothing. This won't change until the Spring now so I guess there is a slim chance of seeing matches in April and May.

I'm really missing football, it's a large part of my life for all the reasons you list plus the way it has become a social experience.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I know we're in a pandemic on 11:33 - Oct 26 with 519 viewshammo56

Can’t say I’m missing it. Preferred attending away games and as this won’t be on the cards this season then have really lost interest.
I know we're in a pandemic on 11:40 - Oct 26 with 499 viewslowhouseblue

would have agreed a few years ago. and i still do miss the ritual. but in recent years watching the football has taken the edge of the experience really.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

I know we're in a pandemic on 11:49 - Oct 26 with 473 viewshype313

I know we're in a pandemic on 11:40 - Oct 26 by lowhouseblue

would have agreed a few years ago. and i still do miss the ritual. but in recent years watching the football has taken the edge of the experience really.

It's not been great, but given I have been going to games since 85, I've seen my fair share of lows along with highs.

Follow the Town, up and down, still rings in my ears.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

I know we're in a pandemic on 11:53 - Oct 26 with 458 viewslowhouseblue

I know we're in a pandemic on 11:49 - Oct 26 by hype313

It's not been great, but given I have been going to games since 85, I've seen my fair share of lows along with highs.

Follow the Town, up and down, still rings in my ears.

i cover just about the same period. but the lows have never previously been this low or gone on this long. there was also usually a sense of travel (in one direction or another) but now we seem just to be stuck doing the same stuff again and again.

i say this but i'm now obviously seeing all the games home and away, whereas in a real season i'd only have gone to the home games.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2020 11:56]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Login to get fewer ads

I miss away games massively..... on 11:57 - Oct 26 with 455 viewsBloots

....homes games had got a bit "functional".

But organising the awaydays, leaving at the crack of dawn, having a few beers on the train, wandering around some random northern town looking for a boozer, maybe staying over for the night.........that's what I miss.

Sigh.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024