Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
breaking the mould 09:33 - Oct 27 with 1024 viewsmonty_radio

There are several examples of clubs around who have gone down a different route in terms of management structures and outside-the-box appointments. Liverpool's opponents, FC Midtjylland, are one such - apparently starting with a fiercly controversial merger of two clubs.

Brentford's different way and its relative success is well known. Bielsa apparently detained them for 12 hours in an interview while he set out the restructuring of football, after which they couldn't decide if he was "a genius or a madman".

Forest Green are something different, if not to everyone's taste. But they have brought something out of nothing, and instant old-fan dismissal of their antics as "a plastic club" suggests, perhaps, that one might even prefer just to carry on with grizzed Lone Ranger managers and their old ways till we hit the jackpot. Notts Forest have just about used up their chips on that particular gamble.

Town are no strangers to taking a different route. Sir Alf's ways bamboozled then led the world. SBR was a left-field choice at the time. Evans did not achieve a meteoric rise in the business world by sticking with what oldies told him was the tried and trusted route. Perhaps he might do better to consider ambition, drive and innovation in his football world, trusting to his business instinct, rather than allegedly relying on grizzled 'Arrys who will only ever hark back to what they know?

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

breaking the mould on 09:41 - Oct 27 with 993 viewsRadlett_blue

Evans's football strategy initially seemed sound - appoint a manager with a record of getting a club promoted to the PL & keeping it there for at least a season, give him some money and BINGO! Unfortunately Keane and then Jewell were disastrous appointments.
Evans has continued with his strategy of letting his manager manage, although within a smaller budget. This worked well with Mick, but Hurst was an even bigger disaster than Keane or Jewell & Lambert so far hasn't done much better.
The lack of a real footballing strategy has always concerned me, but maybe one day Town will luck out like Sheffield United did with the unheralded Chris Wilder, after getting through 6 "permanent" managers in the previous 5 years.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

breaking the mould on 09:48 - Oct 27 with 977 viewsBloomBlue

But isn't that what he did with appointing Hurst as manager?
breaking the mould on 09:49 - Oct 27 with 976 viewshype313

breaking the mould on 09:41 - Oct 27 by Radlett_blue

Evans's football strategy initially seemed sound - appoint a manager with a record of getting a club promoted to the PL & keeping it there for at least a season, give him some money and BINGO! Unfortunately Keane and then Jewell were disastrous appointments.
Evans has continued with his strategy of letting his manager manage, although within a smaller budget. This worked well with Mick, but Hurst was an even bigger disaster than Keane or Jewell & Lambert so far hasn't done much better.
The lack of a real footballing strategy has always concerned me, but maybe one day Town will luck out like Sheffield United did with the unheralded Chris Wilder, after getting through 6 "permanent" managers in the previous 5 years.

Shockingly Leeds are on their 10th manager in 5 years, so we have a few more to burn through then...

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

breaking the mould on 09:59 - Oct 27 with 942 viewsdavblue

breaking the mould on 09:41 - Oct 27 by Radlett_blue

Jewell, Lambert were left behind by football. Mick if he would have been given more budget would have got us close more often than not, he's the only manager here in the Evans era who's got everything and more out f a group of players, we were constantly punching above our budget at that point.
breaking the mould on 10:17 - Oct 27 with 890 viewsWickets

breaking the mould on 09:48 - Oct 27 by BloomBlue

The same thought accured to me .
breaking the mould on 10:20 - Oct 27 with 887 viewsmonty_radio

breaking the mould on 09:48 - Oct 27 by BloomBlue

What does that prove? That he didn't do the diligence perhaps? It's commonly reported that he's settled on Hurst from the first, and, if true, then possible innovators didn't really get their chance (Graham Potter?).

breaking the mould on 10:25 - Oct 27 with 867 viewsmonty_radio

breaking the mould on 10:17 - Oct 27 by Wickets

The same thought accured to me .

But while it's certainly a thought, it's not a conclusion, is it? If we've tried umpteen old-schoolers with little conspicuous return, then to try one from a different background and get it wrong just proves you didn't get it spot on first time.

Incidentally, unpleasant though the Hurst reign was reported to be, he got 15 games. Lambert had around 80?

breaking the mould on 11:55 - Oct 27 with 780 viewsBloomBlue

breaking the mould on 10:25 - Oct 27 by monty_radio

But while it's certainly a thought, it's not a conclusion, is it? If we've tried umpteen old-schoolers with little conspicuous return, then to try one from a different background and get it wrong just proves you didn't get it spot on first time.

Incidentally, unpleasant though the Hurst reign was reported to be, he got 15 games. Lambert had around 80?

But Hurst was different to the mould of the old-timers you mentioned, now I'm confused you suggested we need to go with some different to the old-timers which Evan's did with Hurst and now you're saying that was wrong. Ah you saying different background equals someone currently not involved in football at all?
Login to get fewer ads

breaking the mould on 12:30 - Oct 27 with 749 viewsChurchman

breaking the mould on 09:59 - Oct 27 by davblue

Jewell, Lambert were left behind by football. Mick if he would have been given more budget would have got us close more often than not, he's the only manager here in the Evans era who's got everything and more out f a group of players, we were constantly punching above our budget at that point.

Were Jewell and Lambert left behind by football or were they just lucky on one occasion each with their coaches?. Lambert made a good fist of it at Norwich and that’s it. The rest is a trail of failure.

McCarthy’s efforts were better than the rest of our saviour’s apology of managers, but that isn’t saying much. Clubs with similar resources or less have made it into the Premier League in the last 20 years and I include in that Bolton, Blackpool, Leicester, Burnley, Southampton, so at the time of MM I do not believe we were punching above our weight. It suited ME and MM to project the dismal image of little Ipswich. ME also made choices, including underfunding the club as long as it scraped along in Championship mediocrity or at least not relegated. The limit of his ambition. When McCarthys time ran out this policy was fully exposed, but he still seems to be maintaining ‘let’s scrape along’ albeit at a lower level with a clueless windbag of a manager.

I worked with the now deputy Chairman of Lincoln City a few years ago when they were in the conference. He’d tell me how every £ counted and the extraordinary work they put in to help the club survive and grow again. The club is run by people who really care about it and are trying to make it the best it can be. They deserve to do well. ITFC is a shrinking shambles run by faceless people who I don’t think care, which is why we are deservedly where we are and seemingly unable to compete with Donny and Lincoln.
breaking the mould on 13:11 - Oct 27 with 678 viewsjaykay

SBR if i remember rightly although my memory isn't what it was once, wasn't our first choice. i think he got the job once frank o farrell turned us down.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

breaking the mould on 14:11 - Oct 27 with 597 viewsmonty_radio

breaking the mould on 11:55 - Oct 27 by BloomBlue

But Hurst was different to the mould of the old-timers you mentioned, now I'm confused you suggested we need to go with some different to the old-timers which Evan's did with Hurst and now you're saying that was wrong. Ah you saying different background equals someone currently not involved in football at all?

No. I began by enquiring if we perhaps needed to break the mould; you suggested that Hurst equalled that break. I added that one single approach at doing differently, which was jettisoned after three months, proved little beyond that Hurst was probably not the man to succeed. We've been down the good old-boy route many times over, and we're seemingly stuck with hoping, as another poster put it, that we will "luck out" eventually. My O.P. was a wondering if any others thought that time had come for Evans to be truly innovative, as he must be outside of his football life. Football-wise he seems to concede to such as are only going to point him back into the same shallow pool of thought from which managers, ours and many others, are drawn, and who prove unable to reverse ten years and more of decline on the resources provided.

breaking the mould on 14:59 - Oct 28 with 501 viewsdavblue

breaking the mould on 12:30 - Oct 27 by Churchman

Were Jewell and Lambert left behind by football or were they just lucky on one occasion each with their coaches?. Lambert made a good fist of it at Norwich and that’s it. The rest is a trail of failure.

McCarthy’s efforts were better than the rest of our saviour’s apology of managers, but that isn’t saying much. Clubs with similar resources or less have made it into the Premier League in the last 20 years and I include in that Bolton, Blackpool, Leicester, Burnley, Southampton, so at the time of MM I do not believe we were punching above our weight. It suited ME and MM to project the dismal image of little Ipswich. ME also made choices, including underfunding the club as long as it scraped along in Championship mediocrity or at least not relegated. The limit of his ambition. When McCarthys time ran out this policy was fully exposed, but he still seems to be maintaining ‘let’s scrape along’ albeit at a lower level with a clueless windbag of a manager.

I worked with the now deputy Chairman of Lincoln City a few years ago when they were in the conference. He’d tell me how every £ counted and the extraordinary work they put in to help the club survive and grow again. The club is run by people who really care about it and are trying to make it the best it can be. They deserve to do well. ITFC is a shrinking shambles run by faceless people who I don’t think care, which is why we are deservedly where we are and seemingly unable to compete with Donny and Lincoln.

He done well at Wycombe also.

Leicester had money behind, them, Southampton had money behind them when they were promoted.

Blackpool are the anomaly in that list.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024