Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can any half decent keeper explain. 20:35 - Nov 29 with 788 viewsCrawfordsboot

Why, when a free kick is on an angle, do keepers stand near to the furthest post leaving the near post (the shortest distance to goal) unguarded.

Time and again we see free kicks beating the keeper at the near post, the latest being De Gea today. I have the impression that we rarely see a free kick scored at the far post but perhaps that’s not true and just my unconscious bias.
Can any half decent keeper explain. on 20:37 - Nov 29 with 767 viewsKeno

Shouldn’t the wall protect the near post leaving the keeper free to defend the far post and the ball across the box

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Can any half decent keeper explain. on 20:42 - Nov 29 with 724 viewsCrawfordsboot

Can any half decent keeper explain. on 20:37 - Nov 29 by Keno

Shouldn’t the wall protect the near post leaving the keeper free to defend the far post and the ball across the box

Yes that’s conventional thought but whenever I see them set up I think they are one step too far to the far post such that the kick gets up and down they have no chance of getting to the ball, whereas they have lot more time to get back to the far post.
Can any half decent keeper explain. on 21:01 - Nov 29 with 658 viewshoppy

Can any half decent keeper explain. on 20:42 - Nov 29 by Crawfordsboot

Yes that’s conventional thought but whenever I see them set up I think they are one step too far to the far post such that the kick gets up and down they have no chance of getting to the ball, whereas they have lot more time to get back to the far post.

From a position nearer the far post, aren’t they more able to instruct their defenders in front of them, whereas at the near post can’t really see what’s going on behind them?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Can any half decent keeper explain. on 21:45 - Nov 29 with 562 viewsGeorge25

The wall is there to protect the near post. As a keeper you’ll stand slightly towards the far post as it allows you to see the ball. If you were positioned in the middle you won’t be able to see the ball.
If the taker then crosses it by being near the far post it’s easier to the claim the cross, than having to back pedal.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2020 21:47]
Can any half decent keeper explain. on 21:48 - Nov 29 with 539 viewsSuperCoops

Can any half decent keeper explain. on 21:45 - Nov 29 by George25

The wall is there to protect the near post. As a keeper you’ll stand slightly towards the far post as it allows you to see the ball. If you were positioned in the middle you won’t be able to see the ball.
If the taker then crosses it by being near the far post it’s easier to the claim the cross, than having to back pedal.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2020 21:47]

And if the wall covered the far post, and the keeper the near post, the keeper has less "thinking" or reaction time on where the ball is heading exactly.

I admit we're talking fractions of a second, but it really makes a huge difference.
Can any half decent keeper explain. on 22:28 - Nov 29 with 475 viewsCrawfordsboot

Can any half decent keeper explain. on 21:48 - Nov 29 by SuperCoops

And if the wall covered the far post, and the keeper the near post, the keeper has less "thinking" or reaction time on where the ball is heading exactly.

I admit we're talking fractions of a second, but it really makes a huge difference.

Interesting responses.
I would love to see the stats on near post/ far post goals scored from free kicks.
If keepers are getting it right generally then I guess it should be 50/50
Can any half decent keeper explain. on 22:34 - Nov 29 with 455 viewsgazzer1999

Ask Jimmy Walker, just tweet him.
Can any half decent keeper explain. on 22:58 - Nov 29 with 414 viewsSuperCoops

Can any half decent keeper explain. on 22:28 - Nov 29 by Crawfordsboot

Interesting responses.
I would love to see the stats on near post/ far post goals scored from free kicks.
If keepers are getting it right generally then I guess it should be 50/50

Also, with the wall being closer to ball, they cover more of the goal. But if they were at the further end of the goal, the kicker has a bigger area to aim at and the keeper has a greater area to try and cover.
Login to get fewer ads

Can any half decent keeper explain. on 23:00 - Nov 29 with 408 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Can any half decent keeper explain. on 22:58 - Nov 29 by SuperCoops

Also, with the wall being closer to ball, they cover more of the goal. But if they were at the further end of the goal, the kicker has a bigger area to aim at and the keeper has a greater area to try and cover.

I would also imagine the near post is more difficult for the taker to get the ball up and down again before reaching the goal.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024