Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just had a covid test delivered 13:11 - Dec 30 with 834 viewsGeoffSentence

For the Imperial College research programme.

It comes with a 11 page instruction manual, which is a bit more involved than I was expecting.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Just had a covid test delivered on 13:26 - Dec 30 with 762 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Is that the training that Gove says us teachers have been busy doing and the army are available on Zoom to tell us?

I think the idea of testing all students is good but cannot see it being implemented any time soon.

Also, how long before results are known? Are they instant? Students will have already mixed before taking them and whilst waiting for results unless the logistics are very complex. Presumably those in close contact with those testing positive will have to self-isolate as previously. I can see the situation being very messy once students are back and being tested. Far clearer to spend a couple of weeks of distance learning while the logistics are sorted and then a staged return to minimise mixing until students have all been tested at least once.

In other news, it is nice to know teachers over 50 and those with underlying health conditions will be in priority 1 for the vaccine. However, how long will this group take to treat?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Just had a covid test delivered on 14:32 - Dec 30 with 661 viewsGeoffSentence

Just had a covid test delivered on 13:26 - Dec 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

Is that the training that Gove says us teachers have been busy doing and the army are available on Zoom to tell us?

I think the idea of testing all students is good but cannot see it being implemented any time soon.

Also, how long before results are known? Are they instant? Students will have already mixed before taking them and whilst waiting for results unless the logistics are very complex. Presumably those in close contact with those testing positive will have to self-isolate as previously. I can see the situation being very messy once students are back and being tested. Far clearer to spend a couple of weeks of distance learning while the logistics are sorted and then a staged return to minimise mixing until students have all been tested at least once.

In other news, it is nice to know teachers over 50 and those with underlying health conditions will be in priority 1 for the vaccine. However, how long will this group take to treat?

No, it's this one

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/197217/home-testing-coronavirus-track-levels-inf

To test levels of infection in the community. They ask a random sample of people to take a test so they can get an idea of how many people actually have covid, how many of those are symptomatic or asymptomatic and any symptoms that people may have.

Just had a covid test delivered on 14:33 - Dec 30 with 659 viewsMeadowlark

I also volunteered for that, but stopped short of taking the test and sending it back. Too many questions for a simple research programme in my opinion.
In the end, (call me paranoid) I decided it was a ploy to get a record of my DNA!!
Just had a covid test delivered on 14:34 - Dec 30 with 645 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Just had a covid test delivered on 14:32 - Dec 30 by GeoffSentence

No, it's this one

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/197217/home-testing-coronavirus-track-levels-inf

To test levels of infection in the community. They ask a random sample of people to take a test so they can get an idea of how many people actually have covid, how many of those are symptomatic or asymptomatic and any symptoms that people may have.

I meant the 11 pages of instructions and the fact Gove says something as fact despite it not being true.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Just had a covid test delivered on 14:39 - Dec 30 with 634 viewsGeoffSentence

Just had a covid test delivered on 14:33 - Dec 30 by Meadowlark

I also volunteered for that, but stopped short of taking the test and sending it back. Too many questions for a simple research programme in my opinion.
In the end, (call me paranoid) I decided it was a ploy to get a record of my DNA!!

I don't blame anyone for being paranoid about data collection.

I think I had to answer some questions a week or two back before they sent the test, but don't recall them being particularly intrusive, and the survey that the manual says to complete after the test is now saying that it is closed. Not sure if it will re-open after new year, as you can't book courier collection until Jan 2nd.

Just had a covid test delivered on 14:43 - Dec 30 with 621 viewsGeoffSentence

Just had a covid test delivered on 14:34 - Dec 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

I meant the 11 pages of instructions and the fact Gove says something as fact despite it not being true.

Ah, sorry I misunderstood.

I doubt it is the same, this is issued by DHSC, Imperial College and Ipsos Mori, and is specific to their research test kits and the collection of them. So unless you have to go through exactly the same collection routine I'd be surprised if it is the same.

Just had a covid test delivered on 15:03 - Dec 30 with 558 viewsWD19

Just had a covid test delivered on 14:33 - Dec 30 by Meadowlark

It wasn’t and isn’t. The volume of questions is purely due to the boffins at Imperial getting giddy with excitement.

P.S. I’m signed up for the same research. Should get my test kit in the next few days. They have swabbed well over a million people over the past 6 months.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2020 15:08]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024