Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Danny Hagen Revival (Towns forgotten X factor) 15:48 - Jan 28 with 1125 viewsstiff_talking

Ipswich Irish International Midfielder who played 207 times for ITFC in swinging 60s and won 2nd division.

My father told me he was a fantastic footballer who had the X factor.
When he picked up the ball in our opponents half the crowd anticipation was raised. He said you could hear the crowd get excited. The belief the fans had in Danny was unique. My father aged Mid 70s today said that Danny was the player he wanted to be. He wasn’t a goal scorer yet he scored over 30 times. It was his ability on the ball play the killer pass. My father said he is exactly what we lack today. In his opinion, our best player that never gets the limelight.

I hope Danny is in great health and perhaps Blue Monday could interview him. What was it like to play for Ipswich in the 1960s? How did the boy from the Black Country spend most of his playing days in Suffolk?
Danny Hagen Revival (Towns forgotten X factor) on 15:52 - Jan 28 with 1085 viewslongtimefan

Your dad must be mistaken, we’ve never had a player of that name
Danny Hagen Revival (Towns forgotten X factor) on 15:54 - Jan 28 with 1075 viewsfloridaboy

His name was Danny Hegan and yes he was a superb player.

Sadly he passed away in 2015
Danny Hagen Revival (Towns forgotten X factor) on 16:21 - Jan 28 with 1031 viewsstiff_talking

Danny Hagen Revival (Towns forgotten X factor) on 15:54 - Jan 28 by floridaboy

His name was Danny Hegan and yes he was a superb player.

Sadly he passed away in 2015

Any memories of this player we should cherish ?
Danny Hagen Revival (Towns forgotten X factor) on 16:26 - Jan 28 with 1015 viewsMedwayTractor

it's not too hard to find out more about Danny. He was born in Scotland, but capped by Northern Ireland after leaving Town for West Brom, then Wolves.

Arguably, he was the best of all the players recruited by Jackie Milburn and played a total of 230 games for Town in all competitions, scoring 38 goals. He was the midfield creator, together with Colin Viljoen, in the promotion side of 1967/68. That team was full of goals, averaging nearly 2 goals per game. The 5 man attack of Hegan, Viljoen, Crawford, O'Rourke & Brogan all scored regularly.

TWTD!

Danny died in 2015 and was inducted into the Town Hall of Fame in 2016.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Danny Hagen Revival (Towns forgotten X factor) on 16:32 - Jan 28 with 1000 viewsPhilTWTD

Danny Hagen Revival (Towns forgotten X factor) on 16:21 - Jan 28 by stiff_talking

A few memories of him in the comments to this:

Sixties Midfielder Hegan Dies 6th Aug 2015 23:18
Former Town midfielder Danny Hegan, a member of Bill McGarry’s 1967/68 Second Division championship side, died earlier today at a Birmingham hospice after a battle with cancer, aged 72. 33

Danny Hagen Revival (Towns forgotten X factor) on 16:32 - Jan 28 with 994 viewsmonty_radio

Danny Hagen Revival (Towns forgotten X factor) on 16:21 - Jan 28 by stiff_talking

He was a player who arrived with flame redhair and a bag of tricks, but who took a while to blossom into the midfielder who could make the ball talk. He came of age in an era where players loved a fag and a pint, and, by some accounts, was not the best trainer in the world. But the great Derek Dougan said of him that he was the most inherently talented player he had played alongside. He wore the shortest of fashionable short shorts, and had a habit of gripping his shirtsleeves as he played the most delicious first-time passes. He was the sort of player who would beat an opponent once, then dribble round him and do it again so that we might better appreciate how it had been done. He was the first player I witnessed that would regularly play a pass "WITH THE OUTSIDE OF THE BOOT!!", as Jonathan Pearce likes to yell out.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Danny Hagen Revival (Towns forgotten X factor) on 16:35 - Jan 28 with 988 viewsfloridablue

Certainly one of my favourite Town players in the 60s. Remember he had a sort of swagger about him which reminds me of Frannie Lee in his prime. I was at Towns first Saturday away game 68/69 season after being promoted. Leicester City, absolutely pouring rain all game and Danny scoring a thunderbolt winner.
Danny Hagen Revival (Towns forgotten X factor) on 16:54 - Jan 28 with 955 viewsPJH

Danny Hagen Revival (Towns forgotten X factor) on 16:32 - Jan 28 by PhilTWTD

A few memories of him in the comments to this:

Sixties Midfielder Hegan Dies 6th Aug 2015 23:18
Former Town midfielder Danny Hegan, a member of Bill McGarry’s 1967/68 Second Division championship side, died earlier today at a Birmingham hospice after a battle with cancer, aged 72. 33

Including mine.

He was a very talented player and when he was good he was very good and a joy to watch.
Login to get fewer ads

Danny Hagen Revival (Towns forgotten X factor) on 17:11 - Jan 28 with 929 viewsfloridablue

Danny Hagen Revival (Towns forgotten X factor) on 16:54 - Jan 28 by PJH

Including mine.

He was a very talented player and when he was good he was very good and a joy to watch.

Just looked back at the comments from when He passed 6 years ago that Phil linked and have no recollection I added a comment, almost exactly what I've added today... scary! And you replied that you were also at that Leicester game. Can you remember anything about Hegans goal that day? Only memory I still have is the awful weather and Dannys thunderbolt which I thought came off the underside of the bar, probably Peter Shilton in goal or has my memory played tricks!
Danny Hagen Revival (Towns forgotten X factor) on 17:27 - Jan 28 with 899 viewsshady

Probably the most charismatic player in the team.
Took most of the attacking free kicks, and sometimes scored from 40 yards.

When balls came into the box and Danny was going to meet it,
expectancy levels were high.
You just knew it was going to be very good or very bad.
Many shots crashed onto the roof and we all cheered as he was such a hero.
Girls were wetting themselves and squealing with excitement, in the north stand.

If only we had someone today who could take a shot, even if it missed spectacularly.
Danny Hagen Revival (Towns forgotten X factor) on 17:47 - Jan 28 with 867 viewsPJH

Danny Hagen Revival (Towns forgotten X factor) on 17:11 - Jan 28 by floridablue

Just looked back at the comments from when He passed 6 years ago that Phil linked and have no recollection I added a comment, almost exactly what I've added today... scary! And you replied that you were also at that Leicester game. Can you remember anything about Hegans goal that day? Only memory I still have is the awful weather and Dannys thunderbolt which I thought came off the underside of the bar, probably Peter Shilton in goal or has my memory played tricks!

I remember Alec Bugg being in our goal, I thought it was his debut but it was his second game.

Crawford and O'Rourke got our other two goals, I do have a vague memory of Danny's goal but nothing specific.

Peter Shilton was very likely in their goal although still a teenager, have not checked to make sure that he was playing though.
Danny Hagen Revival (Towns forgotten X factor) on 21:57 - Jan 28 with 746 viewsstiff_talking

Danny Hagen Revival (Towns forgotten X factor) on 17:47 - Jan 28 by PJH

I remember Alec Bugg being in our goal, I thought it was his debut but it was his second game.

Crawford and O'Rourke got our other two goals, I do have a vague memory of Danny's goal but nothing specific.

Peter Shilton was very likely in their goal although still a teenager, have not checked to make sure that he was playing though.

Which Modern Footballer did Danny resemble in playing style ?

And how did we sign him ?
Danny Hagen Revival (Towns forgotten X factor) on 22:12 - Jan 28 with 727 viewsPJH

Danny Hagen Revival (Towns forgotten X factor) on 21:57 - Jan 28 by stiff_talking

Which Modern Footballer did Danny resemble in playing style ?

And how did we sign him ?

Jackie Milburn signed him from Sunderland, he was at Sunderland for two years but never played for their first team. I don't know if we actually paid anything for him but I have in the back of my mind that he cost £5000.

I hardly watch any 'modern' football apart from Ipswich so I cannot think of anyone in particular but he was very good with the ball at his feet and could play both short and long passes. He could run with the ball too and had a powerful shot.

He was maybe inconsistent but when he was on form he was very good.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024