Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another Hillsborough trial collapses 10:58 - May 26 with 600 viewsRadlett_blue

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/may/26/hillsborough-trial-of-former-so
A sad ruling, based on technicality. Police statements WERE altered, some against the wishes of the officers concerned, but because they were prepared for the Taylor inquiry, which wasn't a statutory public inquiry at which evidence is given on oath, it was not a “course of public justice”, which could be perverted. Hence no case to answer.
A sad victory for legal technicality over morality, but that's the way the law works.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Another Hillsborough trial collapses on 11:19 - May 26 with 549 viewsBasuco

CPS says stopping of the trial is "surprising."

"That a publicly funded authority can lawfully withhold information from a public inquiry charged with finding out why 96 people died ... without sanction of any sort, may be a matter which should be subject to scrutiny."
Another Hillsborough trial collapses on 12:33 - May 26 with 493 viewsMJallday

Is it just me or the timing of this announcement interesting given that it was made at exactly the same time as big Dom ?

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Another Hillsborough trial collapses on 13:39 - May 26 with 425 viewsSouthBucksBlue

This strikes me as a typical example of pompous English obfuscation similar to that old c-unit who routinely blocks private member bills on a Friday afternoon on a matter of misguided principal. Another awful kick in the slats for those pursuing justice for the 96 victims.
Another Hillsborough trial collapses on 14:03 - May 26 with 387 viewsSaleAway

Another Hillsborough trial collapses on 11:19 - May 26 by Basuco

CPS says stopping of the trial is "surprising."

"That a publicly funded authority can lawfully withhold information from a public inquiry charged with finding out why 96 people died ... without sanction of any sort, may be a matter which should be subject to scrutiny."

The CPS has history for this sort of thing though. If the law as understood provides "unpopular" decisions, the CPS is likely to send the prosecution forward anyway, and let the court throw it out, rather than take the flack for not pursuing a prosecution that the public think should be wanted.

Quite similar in that regard to the Ben Stokes affray case, which when looked at through the eyes of the affray law - could never have resulted in a guilty verdict, but if they'd refused to prosecute him, the media storm would have been all about "letting him off as he is famous"

I'm no in anyway condoning the behaviour of those who lied about or covered up the massive failings at Hillsborough, just pointing out that this particular prosecution looks a bit like something that should never have gone to court in the first place.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Another Hillsborough trial collapses on 14:08 - May 26 with 363 viewsOldsmoker

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024