Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fell running 20:56 - May 4 with 1032 viewsbluenorth

In the thread about going up Snowdon, Tractor Wood mentioned he was a fell runner - anyone else involved? And if yes, do you live up north or just travel up when you can? I do a lot of running all over the north, always good to see other Town fans on the hills - I know a couple of others.
Fell running on 20:59 - May 4 with 1015 viewsnoggin

I thought this was going to be about KVY's injury.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Fell running on 21:03 - May 4 with 986 viewstmiller12

I regularly go out trail running with a pal on the Peaks, much better on the joints I've found than running on the road. Where in the North are you?
Fell running on 06:59 - May 5 with 843 viewsbluenorth

Fell running on 21:03 - May 4 by tmiller12

I regularly go out trail running with a pal on the Peaks, much better on the joints I've found than running on the road. Where in the North are you?

I'm near Darlington/Teesside, so the North York Moors is my regular haunt, but get across to the Lakes, Northumberland and North Pennines as well. Not done much running in the Peaks but am aiming to explore new areas, any bits you would recommend? Agree I switched from road running several years ago and definitely find it easier on joints and my feet/blisters etc.
Fell running on 08:02 - May 5 with 812 viewsTractorWood

Fell running on 06:59 - May 5 by bluenorth

I'm near Darlington/Teesside, so the North York Moors is my regular haunt, but get across to the Lakes, Northumberland and North Pennines as well. Not done much running in the Peaks but am aiming to explore new areas, any bits you would recommend? Agree I switched from road running several years ago and definitely find it easier on joints and my feet/blisters etc.

This is one of the favoured routes in the peaks.

https://peakdistrictwalks.net/edale-skyline-walk-from-hope-20-mile-route/

I normally do a variation of it. Trim it down to 20km by not going to Kinder low.

The peaks are great, the great ridge and Kinder Scout are busy but everywhere else is quieter and good for cycling too.

One of my favourite places for trail and fell running is the Southern Uplands of Scotland nearish to Dumfries. I love the lakes but find it very busy. I tend to stick to quieter bits like Skiddaw which people seem to swerve.

Britain is a paradise for fell and trail runners but you have to do lots of research.
[Post edited 5 May 2021 8:04]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Fell running on 09:41 - May 5 with 762 viewsSwansea_Blue

Used to when I lived in N Wales; we'd have routes all over place and I used to tag along with some serious Karrimor Mountain marathon types. My ITBs are still screwed after doing the Welsh 3s in a silly time (base to base too, no cutting corners)! Edale Skyline was also a favourite.

I still do a bit on the coastal paths round here, although that's more trail running than fell running I suppose, but I'm seriously out of shape these days. I'm trying to slowly get out on the trails more (just been out for an hour on the cliffs and beach this morning).

The problem with it is you need to be so fit to get any decent routes in. It's a nightmare building up that level of fitness, but extremely liberating when you can glide across the tops for a few hours.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Fell running on 11:43 - May 5 with 729 viewsTractorWood

Fell running on 09:41 - May 5 by Swansea_Blue

Used to when I lived in N Wales; we'd have routes all over place and I used to tag along with some serious Karrimor Mountain marathon types. My ITBs are still screwed after doing the Welsh 3s in a silly time (base to base too, no cutting corners)! Edale Skyline was also a favourite.

I still do a bit on the coastal paths round here, although that's more trail running than fell running I suppose, but I'm seriously out of shape these days. I'm trying to slowly get out on the trails more (just been out for an hour on the cliffs and beach this morning).

The problem with it is you need to be so fit to get any decent routes in. It's a nightmare building up that level of fitness, but extremely liberating when you can glide across the tops for a few hours.

I've not even touched Wales. I was meant to go and do the Dragon race on my bike in 2019 but covid cancelled it. I'd love to go and run some of it too.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Fell running on 12:33 - May 5 with 716 viewsSwansea_Blue

Fell running on 11:43 - May 5 by TractorWood

I've not even touched Wales. I was meant to go and do the Dragon race on my bike in 2019 but covid cancelled it. I'd love to go and run some of it too.

Was that the road ride? There's a mtb route and a running one too - all sound pretty awesome.

Wales is great. I was about 40 minutes from the fells, so we could fit in routes after work in the summer allowing to pick and chose around the weather. The Snowdon horseshoe is well worth a visit on its own. Go up in an evening or early morning when the crowds have gone and it's the best 4 hours you'll ever spend. My favourite route is probably the scramble up Tryfan and then across the Glyders and around to Y Garn, then back down to Idwal Cottage. The Carnedd's are great too when you get up there as it's fairly flat on the tops with nice long ridge runs. They're just the classics, but there are loads of lesser known places to play.

South Wales is good in a different way - the coastal path in Pembrokeshire is good for running, especially in North Pembs. Poppit Sands or Ceibor down to Fishguard is fantastic, but you can keep going all the way around Pembs if you wanted. Gower's good (there's a 50 mile loop around the coast path I've got my eye on for a long weekend - I've run it all in sections, but never the whole thing in one go).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Fell running on 13:33 - May 5 with 680 viewsitfc_bucks

Fell running on 11:43 - May 5 by TractorWood

The Dragons Back race is 100% on my "to do" list.
Login to get fewer ads

Fell running on 14:32 - May 5 with 668 viewsbluenorth

A friend did the Dragon's Back a couple of years ago, was interesting to hear about it - pretty tough, as you would expect. I think if you steer clear of a few busiest spots most areas have some lovely quiet places. Never been running in Wales but am staying in Conwy in August, and hope to get out for a few hours from there if anyone has any ideas.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024