Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket: Day 2 11:28 - Jun 3 with 1572 viewsSteve_M

Batsmen looking pretty comfortable again from the off. 150+ partnership already, could be a long day in the field.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/new-zealand-in-england-2021-1249202/england-

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cricket: Day 2 on 11:37 - Jun 3 with 1190 viewsStrimmer

As a casual cricket watcher (England home tests only pretty much) can you tell me if the feeling that I don't know who half the England players are is in any way valid?

I only say this because as a kid watching eg 2005 Ashes, it felt to me that names like Vaughan, Bell, Trescothick, Hoggard were permanent objects. As unmoving in the england side as the mountains and the sea. these days its feels like there's endless churn.

Or am I merely older and time passes quicker?

Poll: Was it a punch?

Cricket: Day 2 on 11:37 - Jun 3 with 1191 viewsvilanovablue

Given the weather forecast I cannot understand why we bowled first.
Cricket: Day 2 on 11:38 - Jun 3 with 1173 viewsFtnfwest

Cricket: Day 2 on 11:37 - Jun 3 by vilanovablue

chuckle
Cricket: Day 2 on 12:03 - Jun 3 with 1153 viewsSteve_M

Cricket: Day 2 on 11:37 - Jun 3 by Strimmer

As a casual cricket watcher (England home tests only pretty much) can you tell me if the feeling that I don't know who half the England players are is in any way valid?

I only say this because as a kid watching eg 2005 Ashes, it felt to me that names like Vaughan, Bell, Trescothick, Hoggard were permanent objects. As unmoving in the england side as the mountains and the sea. these days its feels like there's endless churn.

Or am I merely older and time passes quicker?

England have a much larger group of players they are selecting from these days, partly due to the increased number of fixtures. Robinson and Bracey are also making their debuts this Test and Lawrence, I think, his home debut.

Some of those you mention only gained greater recognition over time but that series was also an absolute highpoint in terms of wider awareness.

A bit of pace from Wood providing a very necessary breakthrough.

Cricket: Day 2 on 12:32 - Jun 3 with 1131 viewsSteve_M

Cricket: Day 2 on 12:03 - Jun 3 by Steve_M

England have a much larger group of players they are selecting from these days, partly due to the increased number of fixtures. Robinson and Bracey are also making their debuts this Test and Lawrence, I think, his home debut.

Some of those you mention only gained greater recognition over time but that series was also an absolute highpoint in terms of wider awareness.

A bit of pace from Wood providing a very necessary breakthrough.

And a very good review.

293/6 with Conway still in on 166. I'm not really sure there's been much of a chance against him.

Cricket: Day 2 on 12:41 - Jun 3 with 1115 viewsGuthrum

Mark Wood tearing them apart at the moment.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Cricket: Day 2 on 14:47 - Jun 3 with 1076 viewsSteve_M

Cricket: Day 2 on 12:32 - Jun 3 by Steve_M

And a very good review.

293/6 with Conway still in on 166. I'm not really sure there's been much of a chance against him.

378 all out an awful lot better than it looked at 280/3 or whatever it was when I started this thread. Conway bringing up his 200 with a six was rather magnificent.

Cricket: Day 2 on 14:49 - Jun 3 with 1073 viewsReuser_is_God

Cricket: Day 2 on 11:37 - Jun 3 by vilanovablue

New Zealand won the toss & chose to bat.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Login to get fewer ads

Cricket: Day 2 on 14:49 - Jun 3 with 1074 viewsReuser_is_God

Cricket: Day 2 on 14:47 - Jun 3 by Steve_M

378 all out an awful lot better than it looked at 280/3 or whatever it was when I started this thread. Conway bringing up his 200 with a six was rather magnificent.

Yup, should be a good test match now.

Will be interesting to see how this young batting line up goes.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2021 14:50]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Cricket: Day 2 on 15:08 - Jun 3 with 1042 viewsgainsboroughblue

Cricket: Day 2 on 14:49 - Jun 3 by Reuser_is_God

Yup, should be a good test match now.

Will be interesting to see how this young batting line up goes.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2021 14:50]

And we're 1 down already.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Cricket: Day 2 on 15:28 - Jun 3 with 1021 viewsvilanovablue

Cricket: Day 2 on 14:49 - Jun 3 by Reuser_is_God

New Zealand won the toss & chose to bat.

Thank you I thought we'd won the toss for some strange reason...
Cricket: Day 2 on 15:39 - Jun 3 with 1007 viewsSteve_M

Cricket: Day 2 on 15:08 - Jun 3 by gainsboroughblue

And we're 1 down already.

Yes, can you stop watching for the next hour please.

Both Sibley and Burns have played good innings for England yet neither has really established themselves as an opener. Not sure who are better options, repeating the rotating selection to try to replace Strauss for years wasn't successful but SIbley gets out too easily too often at the moment.

That shot from Crawley was horrible too. For a player who normally looks like he has a lot of time it was very loose.

Cricket: Day 2 on 16:15 - Jun 3 with 984 viewsgainsboroughblue

Cricket: Day 2 on 15:39 - Jun 3 by Steve_M

Yes, can you stop watching for the next hour please.

Both Sibley and Burns have played good innings for England yet neither has really established themselves as an opener. Not sure who are better options, repeating the rotating selection to try to replace Strauss for years wasn't successful but SIbley gets out too easily too often at the moment.

That shot from Crawley was horrible too. For a player who normally looks like he has a lot of time it was very loose.

I did stop watching. I turn back on and Tuffers is bemoaning Root being exposed early so I assume another has gone in my absence.

I say watching, I mean listening.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2021 16:32]

Cricket: Day 2 on 17:41 - Jun 3 with 949 viewsSteve_M

Cricket: Day 2 on 16:15 - Jun 3 by gainsboroughblue

I did stop watching. I turn back on and Tuffers is bemoaning Root being exposed early so I assume another has gone in my absence.

I say watching, I mean listening.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2021 16:32]

Root and Burns have done ok, a long way to go still but we should pass the follow on total now.

Burns on 52 now, looking more fluent than earlier on.

Cricket: Day 2 on 17:46 - Jun 3 with 946 viewsIpswichKnight

Cricket: Day 2 on 17:41 - Jun 3 by Steve_M

Root and Burns have done ok, a long way to go still but we should pass the follow on total now.

Burns on 52 now, looking more fluent than earlier on.

We’ve clawed this back a bit, offered us this after the first hour today we’d probably bitten your hand off ( or as Mick would say not even got on the bus! ). Sensible batting should get us close to there score. Tail isn’t very strong in this team mind.
Cricket: Day 2 on 18:34 - Jun 3 with 929 viewsgainsboroughblue

Cricket: Day 2 on 17:46 - Jun 3 by IpswichKnight

We’ve clawed this back a bit, offered us this after the first hour today we’d probably bitten your hand off ( or as Mick would say not even got on the bus! ). Sensible batting should get us close to there score. Tail isn’t very strong in this team mind.

First session crucial tomorrow. May be some cloud/rain about. Vital to knuckle down and get to 200 with no more than 3 down. Historically, we are pretty poor resumers (is that even a word?) in the morning. I won't be able to listen until late into the afternoon so hopefully we'll be ok.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2021 18:34]

Cricket: Day 2 on 20:49 - Jun 3 with 898 viewsChrisd

All in the balance after the first 2 days, which is what test matches should be all about. However, weather conditions changing tomorrow apparently, so this could work for the bowling side. A couple of early wickets and this could turn in the Kiwi’s favour and put them in a strong position.

On a separate note, I see the ECB is considering tracking historical posts of players. I know Ollie Robinson shouldn’t have said or posted what he did 9-10 years ago, but where does this all end? If they are suggesting online posts a decade ago define you as an adult then clearly that’s wrong. We’ve all done things we shouldn’t have when we were youngsters and I’m certainly not the same person I am now compared to that as me as a teenager, but surely it’s how you act and behave now that is the most important thing?!

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Cricket: Day 2 on 08:09 - Jun 4 with 824 viewsSteve_M

Cricket: Day 2 on 20:49 - Jun 3 by Chrisd

All in the balance after the first 2 days, which is what test matches should be all about. However, weather conditions changing tomorrow apparently, so this could work for the bowling side. A couple of early wickets and this could turn in the Kiwi’s favour and put them in a strong position.

On a separate note, I see the ECB is considering tracking historical posts of players. I know Ollie Robinson shouldn’t have said or posted what he did 9-10 years ago, but where does this all end? If they are suggesting online posts a decade ago define you as an adult then clearly that’s wrong. We’ve all done things we shouldn’t have when we were youngsters and I’m certainly not the same person I am now compared to that as me as a teenager, but surely it’s how you act and behave now that is the most important thing?!

Yes, some cloud around in central London at the moment. Forecast is quite rubbish for this morning.

I suppose there are two points on the social media thing:

1) That young players need to be aware that what they posts can come back to haunt them, ideally they should be more selective or, at worst, delete old posts.
2). The ECB does not want to be embarrassed by a player as it has been this week.

And as an ancillary point, bantz is largely just an excuse sexist or racist guff that we would all be better off without.

Cricket: Day 2 on 08:14 - Jun 4 with 814 viewsZXBlue

Cricket: Day 2 on 08:09 - Jun 4 by Steve_M

Yes, some cloud around in central London at the moment. Forecast is quite rubbish for this morning.

I suppose there are two points on the social media thing:

1) That young players need to be aware that what they posts can come back to haunt them, ideally they should be more selective or, at worst, delete old posts.
2). The ECB does not want to be embarrassed by a player as it has been this week.

And as an ancillary point, bantz is largely just an excuse sexist or racist guff that we would all be better off without.

Crass juvenile posts, but really not at the extereme nasty end of the spectrum. Folks need to recognise that people do and say stupid things all the time, especially when they are young.
Cricket: Day 2 on 09:12 - Jun 4 with 791 viewsSteve_M

Cricket: Day 2 on 08:14 - Jun 4 by ZXBlue

Crass juvenile posts, but really not at the extereme nasty end of the spectrum. Folks need to recognise that people do and say stupid things all the time, especially when they are young.

Yes, I think most would agree on that and Robinsons' reaction - a proper apology not a 'sorry if anyone was offended' - is the right response. Just that those with aspirations to be in the public eye will need to be more aware.

Cricket: Day 2 on 09:30 - Jun 4 with 772 viewsvilanovablue

Cricket: Day 2 on 08:14 - Jun 4 by ZXBlue

Kids really do need to be taught early about their digital footprint and the fact stuff they post doesn't disappear over time. This isn't just important for sportsmen but all kids.
Cricket: Day 2 on 11:00 - Jun 5 with 679 viewsgainsboroughblue

Cricket: Day 2 on 18:34 - Jun 3 by gainsboroughblue

First session crucial tomorrow. May be some cloud/rain about. Vital to knuckle down and get to 200 with no more than 3 down. Historically, we are pretty poor resumers (is that even a word?) in the morning. I won't be able to listen until late into the afternoon so hopefully we'll be ok.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2021 18:34]

What did I say?

Cricket: Day 2 on 11:02 - Jun 5 with 673 viewsSteve_M

Cricket: Day 2 on 11:00 - Jun 5 by gainsboroughblue

What did I say?

What a start.

It’s humid outside at the moment, going to be a tricky session for England now.

Cricket: Day 2 on 12:00 - Jun 5 with 649 viewsSteve_M

Cricket: Day 2 on 11:02 - Jun 5 by Steve_M

What a start.

It’s humid outside at the moment, going to be a tricky session for England now.

Not helped by Lawrence playing an even worse shot that Crawley on Thursday.

140/5 still need 38 to get past the follow on target.

Cricket: Day 2 on 12:25 - Jun 5 with 623 viewsChrisd

Cricket: Day 2 on 12:00 - Jun 5 by Steve_M

Not helped by Lawrence playing an even worse shot that Crawley on Thursday.

140/5 still need 38 to get past the follow on target.

Burns has got to manage the tail through and past the follow on target. You’ve got to say the Kiwis have bowled some great stuff this morning with a little bit of help from the conditions.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024