Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A genuine RIP from me 14:26 - Jun 10 with 1788 viewsLord_Lucan

Watched this only the other day

https://www.boxingnewsonline.net/kirkland-laing/

[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 14:39]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

A genuine RIP from me on 14:37 - Jun 10 with 1689 viewsjeera

Not playing for me bud.

Some error or other.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

A genuine RIP from me on 14:40 - Jun 10 with 1666 viewsLord_Lucan

A genuine RIP from me on 14:37 - Jun 10 by jeera

Not playing for me bud.

Some error or other.

Sorted

One of my favourite 3 of all time

Kirkland, Eubanks and Herol Graham

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

A genuine RIP from me on 14:44 - Jun 10 with 1651 viewsjeera

A genuine RIP from me on 14:40 - Jun 10 by Lord_Lucan

Sorted

I'm gonna stick the kettle on and give it a watch.

Thanks.

A genuine RIP from me on 14:45 - Jun 10 with 1642 viewsgtsb1966

Sorted

Three good fighters there but for me the greatest British boxer was Joe Calzaghe.
A genuine RIP from me on 14:48 - Jun 10 with 1632 viewsLord_Lucan

A genuine RIP from me on 14:44 - Jun 10 by jeera

Thanks.

It might be in two parts, I can't remember - I spent the whole evening watching whatever I could find on Youtube.

An ex business partner of mine knew him, he could be found in a crack den in Tottenham the night before a fight and even turn up at the last minute.

Crazy guy

A genuine RIP from me on 15:03 - Jun 10 with 1588 viewsLord_Lucan

A genuine RIP from me on 14:45 - Jun 10 by gtsb1966

Three good fighters there but for me the greatest British boxer was Joe Calzaghe.

Criminally overlooked outside of the boxing fraternity.

A genuine RIP from me on 15:25 - Jun 10 with 1517 viewsleitrimblue

Just watched highlights of him v Duran on YouTube. Still an excellent watch
A genuine RIP from me on 15:51 - Jun 10 with 1470 viewsKTBlue

A genuine RIP from me on 14:48 - Jun 10 by Lord_Lucan

It might be in two parts, I can't remember - I spent the whole evening watching whatever I could find on Youtube.

An ex business partner of mine knew him, he could be found in a crack den in Tottenham the night before a fight and even turn up at the last minute.

Crazy guy

posted this on another thread earlier:

I have a mate who was in the police in London at the time he was in his prime. Has some incredible/horrific stories about him but mostly about his brother. Incredible he achieved what he did with all this going on in the background.
Login to get fewer ads

A genuine RIP from me on 16:08 - Jun 10 with 1432 viewsyesjohn99

Sorted

Poor old bomber, that shot from Julian Jackson he took 30 years ago still makes my legs shake just thinking about it.

Eubanks is on record saying he wanted none of bomber graham.

If Laing was more disciplined he would have ruled the world.
A genuine RIP from me on 16:37 - Jun 10 with 1395 viewsLord_Lucan

A genuine RIP from me on 16:08 - Jun 10 by yesjohn99

Poor old bomber, that shot from Julian Jackson he took 30 years ago still makes my legs shake just thinking about it.

Eubanks is on record saying he wanted none of bomber graham.

If Laing was more disciplined he would have ruled the world.

All good points

I think out of the three Herol was my idol and when he got thumped whilst in complete control I just wanted to cry. As for Eubank, Eubank said "Why should I agree to fight him when I can't hit him"

Similar happened to KIrkland TWICE against Colin blooming Jones

Whether Kirkland would have ruled the world is a possibility but after beating Duran he would definitely have made a few million - but even if he had he would have spunked it. I think that's why I loved him.

A genuine RIP from me on 16:53 - Jun 10 with 1364 viewsCoastalblue

A genuine RIP from me on 16:37 - Jun 10 by Lord_Lucan

All good points

I think out of the three Herol was my idol and when he got thumped whilst in complete control I just wanted to cry. As for Eubank, Eubank said "Why should I agree to fight him when I can't hit him"

Whether Kirkland would have ruled the world is a possibility but after beating Duran he would definitely have made a few million - but even if he had he would have spunked it. I think that's why I loved him.

Didn't he disapear off the face of the earth in a cloud of questionable substances for several months after that Duran fight.

A real shame to see him gone, that 80's era was incredible for boxing, great British fighters and fights on mainstream TV.

I found and watched this the other night, probably my favourite fight ever.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

A genuine RIP from me on 17:12 - Jun 10 with 1333 viewsyesjohn99

A genuine RIP from me on 16:37 - Jun 10 by Lord_Lucan

All good points

Colin Jones is royalty in wales. Came close a couple of times over in the states but not quite enough for world honours.
A genuine RIP from me on 17:16 - Jun 10 with 1318 viewsLord_Lucan

A genuine RIP from me on 17:12 - Jun 10 by yesjohn99

Colin Jones is royalty in wales. Came close a couple of times over in the states but not quite enough for world honours.

I sort of compare him to Dave Boy Green who had the audacity to beat John H. Stracey when his eye went wonky.

A genuine RIP from me on 17:19 - Jun 10 with 1314 viewsyesjohn99

A genuine RIP from me on 17:16 - Jun 10 by Lord_Lucan

I sort of compare him to Dave Boy Green who had the audacity to beat John H. Stracey when his eye went wonky.

The Fen tiger!

Recommend Steve Bunce fat book of British boxing. Starts 1970 and charts most fights involving British fighters from domestic to world level through to 2016 ish I think.
A genuine RIP from me on 17:22 - Jun 10 with 1308 viewsgtsb1966

A genuine RIP from me on 16:53 - Jun 10 by Coastalblue

Didn't he disapear off the face of the earth in a cloud of questionable substances for several months after that Duran fight.

A real shame to see him gone, that 80's era was incredible for boxing, great British fighters and fights on mainstream TV.

I found and watched this the other night, probably my favourite fight ever.

Benn v McClellan would've been my favourite fight ever if it hadn't ended so tragically. It was brutal. It should never have got that far anyway as Benn didn't get back into the ring in time after being knocked through the ropes in the first round. That was definitely a "home" decision.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 17:23]
A genuine RIP from me on 17:38 - Jun 10 with 1280 viewsLord_Lucan

A genuine RIP from me on 17:22 - Jun 10 by gtsb1966

Benn v McClellan would've been my favourite fight ever if it hadn't ended so tragically. It was brutal. It should never have got that far anyway as Benn didn't get back into the ring in time after being knocked through the ropes in the first round. That was definitely a "home" decision.

I never warmed to Benn. I think you were either Eubank or Benn, there was no middle ground.

My mate was in the army with Benn as it happens

I think Sugar Ray v Duran / Hearns / Hagler up there but I guess you are talking domestically in which for pure anticipation, rivalry and expectation I would go for one of the Benn / Eubanks

A genuine RIP from me on 17:47 - Jun 10 with 1268 viewsyesjohn99

A genuine RIP from me on 17:22 - Jun 10 by gtsb1966

My fav of all time also. And like you say remembered for all the wrong reasons.

Nigel Benn certainly owed the french referee a couple of drinks.

Think it was ITV who done a documentary on the fight a few years ago, and Benn met McClellan for the first time since the fight. Probably youtubeable
A genuine RIP from me on 18:00 - Jun 10 with 1247 viewsgtsb1966

A genuine RIP from me on 17:38 - Jun 10 by Lord_Lucan

I never warmed to Benn. I think you were either Eubank or Benn, there was no middle ground.

I think Sugar Ray v Duran / Hearns / Hagler up there but I guess you are talking domestically in which for pure anticipation, rivalry and expectation I would go for one of the Benn / Eubanks

My favourite non British fight was Duran v Iran Barkley. That was brutal too.
A genuine RIP from me on 20:46 - Jun 10 with 1139 viewsLord_Lucan

A genuine RIP from me on 14:44 - Jun 10 by jeera

Thanks.

Did you manage to watch it Jeera?

He was one of the good guys.

A genuine RIP from me on 20:58 - Jun 10 with 1121 viewsjeera

A genuine RIP from me on 20:46 - Jun 10 by Lord_Lucan

Did you manage to watch it Jeera?

He was one of the good guys.

I did watch yes.

I am not a big follower of the sport but am of course familiar with it and know of him. I didn't know anything of his background though or the personal battles he had going on.

Incredible that he was dragged to such a huge bout whilst still half asleep and still won.

What he could have been and all that.

Seemed like a nice guy considering he looked such a hard so & so in some of the clips in the ring.

I was a good way into the fight against Mittee when I got distracted. Had to smile at how Mittee grabbed him and gave him a throw. Doubt he'd get away with that now.

As for childhood household names mentioned so far etc, Minter was probably the one I was most familiar with outside of heavyweight boxing.

I might stick the rest of the video on if there's not much on TV shortly.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 20:58]

A genuine RIP from me on 21:05 - Jun 10 with 1078 viewsjeera

A genuine RIP from me on 17:38 - Jun 10 by Lord_Lucan

I dunno, I always like Nigel Benn but definitely had a spot for Eubank.

He was an amazing fighter with his own style. He used to irritate the hell out of some people.

I watched 'that' fight too and know how it affected him afterwards.

I see someone posted Honeyghan. I'd forgotten about him!

A genuine RIP from me on 21:15 - Jun 10 with 1059 viewsLord_Lucan

A genuine RIP from me on 21:05 - Jun 10 by jeera

He was an amazing fighter with his own style. He used to irritate the hell out of some people.

I wasn't a fan of Honeyhgan (sp)

I think he had Ipswich connections, one of my Whitton mates told me as I remember, I think he knocked up a bird from there.

Another thing I've just remembered. Dalai used to tell me that Fatima Whitbread was often up Stoke Park, I think she had a boyfriend up there.

So you have been watching Kirklands fights, but you saw the short doc on him right?

There's some more stuff out there including him at home with his mum from memory.

A genuine RIP from me on 21:33 - Jun 10 with 1032 viewsLord_Lucan

A genuine RIP from me on 21:05 - Jun 10 by jeera

I watched the Eubank / Collins fight in a dodgy pub in Belfast, it was after the troubles but still very hairy and this pub was 50/50 (so not a real death place) Must have been around September 95 as I was 30 whilst on that trip.

Anyhoo, I went for a p1ss and said to the bloke next to me who had a scabby bent cock "I can't believe Eubank lost to Collins" and he simply replied "You arrogant English c@nt" and I swear to god i watched his cock getting redder and flakier as he said it.

I subsequently went a few years back to a dinner thing organised by a mate of mine and present were a coked up Collins, Michael Watson, Frank Bruno and Tim Witherspoon. Had a big time charlie photo with them and a genuinely lovely chat with Witherspoon at the bar.

"Our Frank" tried to chat my Mrs up so I asked him if it was true that Cass Pennant saved his skin once at Aldgate East. Poor bloke got committed again after that and I still feel bad that he was probably not the ticket for that gig - but then again he was probably happy to being paid a few hundred quid.

Makes you think though - how quick can these superstars lose money, do they get ripped off by their promoters, accountants etc etc?

A genuine RIP from me on 22:00 - Jun 10 with 1000 viewsfabian_illness

I love your stories LL.
Always interesting.

Sad to hear about Kirkland Laing, he was coming towards the end of his career when I started following boxing. He was always good to watch, slightly unconventional, which I liked.

That middleweight era with Benn, Eubank, Collins etc was superb.

I also liked to watch Naseem Hamed, such a talented fighter.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 22:53]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024