Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Late 90s 11:20 - Aug 18 with 690 viewsZx1988

My memory may be playing tricks on me, as I was only about 10 at the time, but didn't we have some fairly shocking starts under Burley whilst we were in Division One in the late 90s?

What was the general attitude to the poor starts back then? Were people clamouring for Burley's head, or was he given time to get the side into gear?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Late 90s on 11:28 - Aug 18 with 654 viewsPinewoodblue

Fans could see what Burley was trying to achieve, every season we started with a better squad than we had the previous year.

We have been going downhill since the days of Joe Royle.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Late 90s on 11:32 - Aug 18 with 627 viewsSteve_M

Late 90s on 11:28 - Aug 18 by Pinewoodblue

Fans could see what Burley was trying to achieve, every season we started with a better squad than we had the previous year.

We have been going downhill since the days of Joe Royle.

Yes, there was year-on-year improvement and I still think that turning round the abysmal 94-95 side to the highest scorers in the country with the addition of only Gus Uhlenbeek (plus Mowbray mid-way though that season) is an underrated achievement because of what came next.

On your last point, we improved greatly under MM over three seasons.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Late 90s on 11:40 - Aug 18 with 602 viewsSE1blue

Your memory serves you well. Two or three times we improved post-Christmas and went on great runs.

People used to sing ‘Sheepshanks sort it out’ (that used to get quite vociferous outings) and some called for Burley to be sacked.

As others have said though, you could see what was being worked on or who replaced who and why. I think, understandably, a lot of people just want us to be better than we have been for so long but maybe too quickly.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Late 90s on 13:12 - Aug 18 with 462 viewsRadlett_blue

Late 90s on 11:32 - Aug 18 by Steve_M

Yes, there was year-on-year improvement and I still think that turning round the abysmal 94-95 side to the highest scorers in the country with the addition of only Gus Uhlenbeek (plus Mowbray mid-way though that season) is an underrated achievement because of what came next.

On your last point, we improved greatly under MM over three seasons.

Although, on the positive side, that 1994-95 squad as so poor that we didn't lose any good players, because we didn't actually have any, so the core of the team was retained i.e. Wright or Forrest), Thompson, Thomsen, Marshall,Mason, Mathie, Milton, Sedgley, Stockwell, Taricco & Williams. All above average 2nd tier players.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024