Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Really hope that it is not the case,...... 12:16 - Aug 18 with 1363 viewsFrankfurtBlue

....but what if Cook without Richardson is like Clough without Taylor? Presumably, only a few people could realistically judge that. Lee Evans being one.

Anybody have any idea of how Richardson complemented Cook's qualities, presumably in a way that Jeffers, Roberts and the kit man do not?
Really hope that it is not the case,...... on 12:19 - Aug 18 with 1334 views_sanctimoanious_

He used to whisper ideas into his ear and stir his brew. TBH, I think we're doomed as Cook was merely the puppet and is missing the hand.
Really hope that it is not the case,...... on 12:21 - Aug 18 with 1316 viewsSouperJim

Lambert without Culverhouse...

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Really hope that it is not the case,...... on 12:22 - Aug 18 with 1299 viewsElderGrizzly

I wonder who challenges Cook now, with a very inexperienced coaching team underneath.

Not having Richardson isn't necessarily the issue, but the lack of experience under Cook certainly feels wrong.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 12:41]
Paul without John..... on 12:32 - Aug 18 with 1248 viewsBloots

Really hope that it is not the case,...... on 12:21 - Aug 18 by SouperJim

Lambert without Culverhouse...

...Noel without Liam.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Really hope that it is not the case,...... on 12:34 - Aug 18 with 1236 viewsberkstractorboy

I really think this is the case, but like you hope I am wrong!!
Really hope that it is not the case,...... on 12:36 - Aug 18 with 1222 viewsPinewoodblue

Or, nearer home, Burley without Roberts.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Really hope that it is not the case,...... on 12:39 - Aug 18 with 1204 viewsRyorry

Really hope that it is not the case,...... on 12:34 - Aug 18 by berkstractorboy

I really think this is the case, but like you hope I am wrong!!

Not to worry, there are so many experts on here who know exactly what's needed to restore winning ways, that Phil n Gav could organise a weekly comp with the winner (& runner-up if there's a midweek game) getting to be PC's assistant for the next game.

Sorted!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Really hope that it is not the case,...... on 12:44 - Aug 18 with 1182 viewsKieran_Knows

From the very little I hear, the whole 'kit man' thing for Craney is a bit of a myth, and both he and Jeffers are excellent coaches out on the training pitch. Can't say I've heard too much on Roberts though.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Login to get fewer ads

Really hope that it is not the case,...... on 12:44 - Aug 18 with 1182 viewsSteve_M

I thought there was far too much fretting about that last year which should still be the case however it's telling that Cook hasn't appointed another assistant to replicate the structure that worked well for him previously. Instead we have a trio of coaches, two with very little experience and one who looks like a decent coach but has a couple of serious convictions in recent years.

It doesn't seem to be the right balance.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Paul without John..... on 12:44 - Aug 18 with 1174 viewsBlueBadger

Paul without John..... on 12:32 - Aug 18 by Bloots

...Noel without Liam.

Phil without Gav.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Really hope that it is not the case,...... on 12:48 - Aug 18 with 1151 viewsberkstractorboy

Really hope that it is not the case,...... on 12:39 - Aug 18 by Ryorry

Not to worry, there are so many experts on here who know exactly what's needed to restore winning ways, that Phil n Gav could organise a weekly comp with the winner (& runner-up if there's a midweek game) getting to be PC's assistant for the next game.

Sorted!

Not an expert but whats being served up isn't right. Taken good players from last season getting assists and goals and made the look pretty ordinary so far.

Time to sort it out but strikes me something still not quite right when other teams can 'gel' so easily despite many changes over the summer and has training time to sort it out like we have.
Really hope that it is not the case,...... on 12:49 - Aug 18 with 1141 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Really hope that it is not the case,...... on 12:22 - Aug 18 by ElderGrizzly

I wonder who challenges Cook now, with a very inexperienced coaching team underneath.

Not having Richardson isn't necessarily the issue, but the lack of experience under Cook certainly feels wrong.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 12:41]

Yep, the lack of experience in the back room and their ability to challenge Cook on important decisions is a concern.

Only Keeley has any real experience, but he is only responsible for the GKs. Roberts and Jeffers are presumably quite attack-minded in their approach, and Craney can only help players in Ariel battles, but he certainly would knead to raise his roll.
Really hope that it is not the case,...... on 12:53 - Aug 18 with 1124 viewsRyorry

Really hope that it is not the case,...... on 12:44 - Aug 18 by Steve_M

I thought there was far too much fretting about that last year which should still be the case however it's telling that Cook hasn't appointed another assistant to replicate the structure that worked well for him previously. Instead we have a trio of coaches, two with very little experience and one who looks like a decent coach but has a couple of serious convictions in recent years.

It doesn't seem to be the right balance.

I commented yesterday on the unfortunate pattern that seems to be emerging in this respect re ITFC in the 21stC. Under different owners of course, but we don't seem to have learned from our history.

Really hope that it is not the case,...... on 13:04 - Aug 18 with 1059 viewsitfcjoe

If he was key then we are in for a bumpy ride, because our recruitment has bet the house on Cook having a success.

It does worry me that there isn't anyone with the coaching badges and pedigree of Richardson - to compare him to Roberts....

At 32, Richardson was appointed caretaker at Accrington, by this point he had all his coaching badges, was doing a physiotherapy degree (and was a trained social worker),

At 36, Gary Roberts was playing for Bala Town and then back at Accrington, he had no coaching badges and seemingly no other qualifications (happy to be corrected on that)

He is incredibly lucky to have got this job, without having shown any desire or inclination to be a coach previously - it's a massive job. Compare him to who we had in the club in recent times - Gerard Nash (Pro Licence), Chris Hogg (Pro Licence), Kieron Dyer (Pro licence), Adem Atay (UEFA A Licence [I think]), Terry Butcher (Pro Licence), Matt Gill (Pro Licence)

Then you look at Ian Craney - “I absolutely love my job. You get the banter with the players and staff, working with people you have played with and keeping involved on the football side. I started my coaching badges but a kitman suits me better."

I don't know what badges Jeffers has, but he's the only one with the calibre that would even get him an interview for a job like this if we were to recruit as though it was a proper job - yes character issues there but we don't know in's and out's of it so can't fully comment or write off.

Badges aren't the be all and end all - but they do show who has a desire to make a career of coaching, who is willing to give up their summers and their evenings to learn, and to improve themselves. To commit financially and time wise to a future career - and they are bloody hard, they take years, and they have masses of work to do. You have to be a student of the game to pass them.

Who on our staff, Cook aside, has shown the desire? When you look at the sports science staff, and the professionalism and experience of it - it is in a different stratosphere to the coaching staff

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Really hope that it is not the case,...... on 13:20 - Aug 18 with 979 viewsRyorry

Really hope that it is not the case,...... on 13:04 - Aug 18 by itfcjoe

If he was key then we are in for a bumpy ride, because our recruitment has bet the house on Cook having a success.

It does worry me that there isn't anyone with the coaching badges and pedigree of Richardson - to compare him to Roberts....

At 32, Richardson was appointed caretaker at Accrington, by this point he had all his coaching badges, was doing a physiotherapy degree (and was a trained social worker),

At 36, Gary Roberts was playing for Bala Town and then back at Accrington, he had no coaching badges and seemingly no other qualifications (happy to be corrected on that)

He is incredibly lucky to have got this job, without having shown any desire or inclination to be a coach previously - it's a massive job. Compare him to who we had in the club in recent times - Gerard Nash (Pro Licence), Chris Hogg (Pro Licence), Kieron Dyer (Pro licence), Adem Atay (UEFA A Licence [I think]), Terry Butcher (Pro Licence), Matt Gill (Pro Licence)

Then you look at Ian Craney - “I absolutely love my job. You get the banter with the players and staff, working with people you have played with and keeping involved on the football side. I started my coaching badges but a kitman suits me better."

I don't know what badges Jeffers has, but he's the only one with the calibre that would even get him an interview for a job like this if we were to recruit as though it was a proper job - yes character issues there but we don't know in's and out's of it so can't fully comment or write off.

Badges aren't the be all and end all - but they do show who has a desire to make a career of coaching, who is willing to give up their summers and their evenings to learn, and to improve themselves. To commit financially and time wise to a future career - and they are bloody hard, they take years, and they have masses of work to do. You have to be a student of the game to pass them.

Who on our staff, Cook aside, has shown the desire? When you look at the sports science staff, and the professionalism and experience of it - it is in a different stratosphere to the coaching staff

Re your last para in particular, this does seem like the biggest miss so far from our new owners, given the care and attention they've shown in addressing all other areas.

Really interesting re Richardson being a trained social worker - I hadn't been aware of that. I think that players' psychological & emotional states, especially when they've just transferred to a new club, often from a completely different part of the country (or abroad) is often overlooked. You can't expect people to perform at their best if they're uncomfortable/unhappy within themselves. I did think Butcher would have been an excellent man to retain as a mentor in that respect.

Really hope that it is not the case,...... on 13:20 - Aug 18 with 978 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Really hope that it is not the case,...... on 13:04 - Aug 18 by itfcjoe

Thanks for that great reply. Unfortunately, you have done little to allay my concerns!

As you say, qualifications aren't everything, but it is a reasonable indicator and should really be a minimum prerequisite for a job at a club like Ipswich. If the qualifications aren't there, then quality experience can be the only replacement. Why would we employ people with (as good as) neither?
Really hope that it is not the case,...... on 13:22 - Aug 18 with 956 viewsMetal_Hacker

Keno without Hoppy

Poll: If it were one or the other

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024