Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Away form under Cook 11:10 - Aug 18 with 2235 viewsitfcjoe

Gillingham 1-3
Fleetwood 0-2
Portsmouth 1-2
Wigan 0-0
Rochdale 0-0
Wimbledon 0-3
Charlton 0-0
Northampton 0-3
Swindon 2-1
Shrewsbury 0-0
---------------------------
Burton 1-2
Cheltenham 1-2

Played 12
Won 1
Drawn 4 (All of which were 0-0)
Lost 7

Goals For 6
Goals Against 18

And we've not played anyone decent away in that time, bottom 8-10 teams mainly

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Away form under Cook on 11:13 - Aug 18 with 1758 viewswkj

I think we're going to have to scrub Burton off of the "not decent" list - They are looking dangerous this season. Otherwise valid reflection.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Away form under Cook on 11:13 - Aug 18 with 1755 viewsSomethingBlue

Absolutely abysmal and, when you see the issues that beset other clubs in the league — we aren't the only ones that had to brace for a massive turnover of players for example — I see no excuse.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

now THAT is a shocking stat on 11:14 - Aug 18 with 1726 viewsDyland

Wallers, listen and learn buh ;)

Cook has fook all credit in the bank and needs to up his game significantly. I don't like him or dislike him, all too early for me still, but must admit feeling a little more confident in our owners that if they feel it aint right he will be gone, and we may get someone in who isn't a complete clown like Evans did every time except for McCarthy (and Cook tbc)...

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Away form under Cook on 11:16 - Aug 18 with 1710 viewsDarth_Koont

Don’t really see the real relevance of last season. Yes, it was disappointing and he doesn’t get a free ride but we were flogging a dead horse at the end of a tough, uninspiring season.

And Burton and Cheltenham were pretty good I thought. They won by doing the simple things better.

Pronouns: He/Him

Away form under Cook on 11:21 - Aug 18 with 1659 viewsHerbivore

Away form under Cook on 11:16 - Aug 18 by Darth_Koont

Don’t really see the real relevance of last season. Yes, it was disappointing and he doesn’t get a free ride but we were flogging a dead horse at the end of a tough, uninspiring season.

And Burton and Cheltenham were pretty good I thought. They won by doing the simple things better.

This post represents a pretty shocking lowering of standards.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Away form under Cook on 11:26 - Aug 18 with 1604 viewsSomethingBlue

I do think that's a bit generous. When we went to Gillingham we'd put ourselves right back in the mix under Gill but then got absolutely turned over — which is a consistent theme under Cook so far, we cannot escape it. Couple of respectable home results after that and then we no-show at Fleetwood and again lose by two. We did have a chance until then. This is going to improve, I'm certain, but at this point even a run of mid-table form would be a significant uptick and I don't see the excuse for things to be quite that dire.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 11:26]

Away form under Cook on 11:28 - Aug 18 with 1577 viewsSteve_M

Last night reminded me a little of Portsmouth last season, a match we were ahead in - decent goal too - and looking reasonably comfortable right until we conceded. And from that point on we were second best by some margin.

The only player who played on both games was Kayden Jackson who got a whole 11 minutes in that one.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Away form under Cook on 11:29 - Aug 18 with 1562 viewsDarth_Koont

Away form under Cook on 11:21 - Aug 18 by Herbivore

Or after 2 decades of people second-guessing various managers using their expectations as some kind of counter-argument, we actually look at where we are and what brought us here.

Turning things around isn’t going to be a flick of the switch. And especially not with a completely new team.

No-one’s denying we need better results. But results come from doing things the right way and actually building something worthwhile. I can wait longer than the first three league games.

Login to get fewer ads

Away form under Cook on 11:32 - Aug 18 with 1514 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

When he took over we had won 2 from 3 I think?

And were sat in 7th.

Fair to say, it wasnt unreasonable to hope for some new manager bounce and a challeng for the play offs.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Away form under Cook on 11:35 - Aug 18 with 1495 viewsDarth_Koont

Away form under Cook on 11:26 - Aug 18 by SomethingBlue

I do think that's a bit generous. When we went to Gillingham we'd put ourselves right back in the mix under Gill but then got absolutely turned over — which is a consistent theme under Cook so far, we cannot escape it. Couple of respectable home results after that and then we no-show at Fleetwood and again lose by two. We did have a chance until then. This is going to improve, I'm certain, but at this point even a run of mid-table form would be a significant uptick and I don't see the excuse for things to be quite that dire.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 11:26]

See my post to Herbie.

I am a little generous with Cook’s start given what we witnessed over the previous 3 seasons. Then again, I’ve also not got certainty everything will be alright for the same reasons.

Others can fill their boots but I’d like to see more of what this team can do first. Feels like the sample size is still too small — and combining it with a separate and very different sample last season doesn’t seem to give many pointers either.

Away form under Cook on 11:38 - Aug 18 with 1469 viewsDarth_Koont

Away form under Cook on 11:32 - Aug 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

When he took over we had won 2 from 3 I think?

And were sat in 7th.

Fair to say, it wasnt unreasonable to hope for some new manager bounce and a challeng for the play offs.

Sure, hope.

I was also disappointed we couldn’t capitalise but when have we ever done that in recent years?

Away form under Cook on 11:39 - Aug 18 with 1445 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Away form under Cook on 11:38 - Aug 18 by Darth_Koont

Sure, hope.

I was also disappointed we couldn’t capitalise but when have we ever done that in recent years?

Too many free passes.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Away form under Cook on 11:40 - Aug 18 with 1445 viewsSomethingBlue

Away form under Cook on 11:35 - Aug 18 by Darth_Koont

See my post to Herbie.

I am a little generous with Cook’s start given what we witnessed over the previous 3 seasons. Then again, I’ve also not got certainty everything will be alright for the same reasons.

Others can fill their boots but I’d like to see more of what this team can do first. Feels like the sample size is still too small — and combining it with a separate and very different sample last season doesn’t seem to give many pointers either.

Think we all agree — or at least anyone sensible agrees — that this needs time. Given Cook's record elsewhere it's reasonable to expect this clicks in the coming weeks and months. I find it alarming that it's taking so much for us to claw out a result against literally anyone though, to be honest. Hasn't really happened to anyone else and I don't think our situation is totally unique. Two good home games coming up to make everyone feel much more upbeat.

Away form under Cook on 11:45 - Aug 18 with 1375 viewsDarth_Koont

Away form under Cook on 11:40 - Aug 18 by SomethingBlue

Think we all agree — or at least anyone sensible agrees — that this needs time. Given Cook's record elsewhere it's reasonable to expect this clicks in the coming weeks and months. I find it alarming that it's taking so much for us to claw out a result against literally anyone though, to be honest. Hasn't really happened to anyone else and I don't think our situation is totally unique. Two good home games coming up to make everyone feel much more upbeat.

Yep. We need points so things don’t get out of hand – on and off the pitch.

And I agree we should be looking at Cook’s overall record for a more general indication of his ability. Certainly before people start pointing fingers based on the basket case that was ITFC last season and now the brand-new project we’ve barely started.

Away form under Cook on 11:49 - Aug 18 with 1343 viewsericclacton

Cook, ok with clubs that have mediocre expectations in the game and has a reliable side kick who knows he's stuff, but on his own with the spotlight on him you have a completely different dynamic, that's probably why he has surrounded himself with old mates for comfort rather than people with experience within the game.

Away form under Cook on 11:51 - Aug 18 with 1312 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Away form under Cook on 11:49 - Aug 18 by ericclacton

Cook, ok with clubs that have mediocre expectations in the game and has a reliable side kick who knows he's stuff, but on his own with the spotlight on him you have a completely different dynamic, that's probably why he has surrounded himself with old mates for comfort rather than people with experience within the game.

At the time of his appointment, quite a lot of people raised concerns that Leam Richardson might not join him. So its also not like its all based on hindsight.

...hope he turns it around, and / or gets a decent Assistant in.

Away form under Cook on 11:53 - Aug 18 with 1294 viewsDarth_Koont

Away form under Cook on 11:49 - Aug 18 by ericclacton

Not exactly sure that Portsmouth or Wigan have lower expectations than us. For starters their actual reality has often been significantly ahead of ours within very recent memory.

Away form under Cook on 11:57 - Aug 18 with 1232 viewsBellevueblue

why are all the scores written backwards?
Away form under Cook on 11:59 - Aug 18 with 1217 viewsericclacton

Away form under Cook on 11:53 - Aug 18 by Darth_Koont

Not exactly sure that Portsmouth or Wigan have lower expectations than us. For starters their actual reality has often been significantly ahead of ours within very recent memory.

I am exactly sure.

Away form under Cook on 12:01 - Aug 18 with 1186 viewsDarth_Koont

Away form under Cook on 11:59 - Aug 18 by ericclacton

I am exactly sure.

So am I now.

Away form under Cook on 12:24 - Aug 18 with 1059 viewsEireannach_gorm

Away form under Cook on 11:21 - Aug 18 by Herbivore

Lowering of expectations maybe?
Away form under Cook on 12:29 - Aug 18 with 1025 viewsDarth_Koont

Away form under Cook on 12:24 - Aug 18 by Eireannach_gorm

Lowering of expectations maybe?

Indeed. And more importantly the actual lowering of our position in the football pyramid.

New owners and execs come in and rightly point out our *potential* and some people have immediately re-inflated their expectations in the short term too.

Away form under Cook on 12:30 - Aug 18 with 1017 viewsitfcjoe

If you take out the Swindon game last year, and the Newport game this year we've been pretty consistent under Cook

At home we will win or draw

Away we will draw 0-0 or lose

That the exact same form, and often how games play out has carried over is worrying - does it point to team setup issues?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Away form under Cook on 12:36 - Aug 18 with 977 viewsHerbivore

Away form under Cook on 11:29 - Aug 18 by Darth_Koont

Or after 2 decades of people second-guessing various managers using their expectations as some kind of counter-argument, we actually look at where we are and what brought us here.

Turning things around isn’t going to be a flick of the switch. And especially not with a completely new team.

No-one’s denying we need better results. But results come from doing things the right way and actually building something worthwhile. I can wait longer than the first three league games.

He's been here 6 months, not 3 games. The decision to get rid of everyone and sign a new team is his decision and shouldn't be bracketed off as though it was imposed on him. At the point he arrived we didn't even need a huge turnaround, on the pitch at least, as the league is so piss poor we were well in the promotion race. Even maintaining what his predecessor achieved would have seen us well in the race for the top 6.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Away form under Cook on 12:41 - Aug 18 with 938 viewsDarth_Koont

Away form under Cook on 12:30 - Aug 18 by itfcjoe

If you take out the Swindon game last year, and the Newport game this year we've been pretty consistent under Cook

At home we will win or draw

Away we will draw 0-0 or lose

That the exact same form, and often how games play out has carried over is worrying - does it point to team setup issues?

Possibly. Although more likely that when we’re always playing to win and we’re not fully convincing then we’re probably going to lose more away from home.

It’s one of the big differences between when McCarthy came in and had such a great effect. He was looking for us not to get beat and we even snatched some wins as a result. We were a very good away side very quickly IIRC.

When Cook came in it was about winning games to turn some recent wins into a proper play-off challenge and even a hopeful stab at top 2. It didn’t happen but trying for wins and failing probably ended up losing us more points in the end.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024