Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dennis Law has dementia 15:02 - Aug 19 with 767 viewsNthsuffolkblue

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/19/manchester-united-legend-denis-

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Dennis Law has dementia on 15:14 - Aug 19 with 737 viewsBlueySwede

Such a sad disease (well, several diseases).
My aunt passed away from dementia only 65 years old.
I like the way Dennis Law opens up about it, it must be scary to face. I really hope there is, if not a cure, some form of effective treatment in the future.
Dennis Law has dementia on 15:17 - Aug 19 with 730 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Dennis Law has dementia on 15:14 - Aug 19 by BlueySwede

I like the way Dennis Law opens up about it, it must be scary to face. I really hope there is, if not a cure, some form of effective treatment in the future.

Yes. The wife of a colleague has it. Not sure what age she was diagnosed but I would guess 50s.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Dennis Law has dementia on 15:36 - Aug 19 with 697 viewsMerseyBlue

It's absolutely my biggest fear about friends, family and myself getting older. I've seen the impact it has had on families of it's victims and it is genuinely heartbreaking to watch.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Dennis Law has dementia on 16:23 - Aug 19 with 625 viewsSwansea_Blue

There's been some research this year that's showed effective reversal of symptoms apparently. The catch is that it's only in mice so far. Also, there seems to be quite a bit of research that suggests the main causes (or at least accelerants) are environmental factors rather than purely genetic. So healthy lifestyle, staying socially connected and using the brain more are all supposed to reduce risk.

There seems to be lots of reasons to be optimistic about beating it, even if there currently isn't a magic bullet.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Dennis Law has dementia on 18:12 - Aug 19 with 528 viewsChurchman

Dennis Law has dementia on 15:17 - Aug 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

Yes. The wife of a colleague has it. Not sure what age she was diagnosed but I would guess 50s.

My mum had dementia in the last years of her life. She was a little older than the legend that is Denis Law. Fortunately, she never understood or realised and was well looked after. The thing I noticed is that it takes different forms and affects people very differently. The cruelty of it is that what makes a person who they are is stripped away piece by piece.

I was lucky in that my mum was elderly. The husband of a friend of my misses contracted it in his late 40s and for that poor lady, the looking after turned into a nightmare. It is an ugly condition and I hope that our Westminster heroes (😱) one day take it and mental health in general, thinking of Dalian and Justin, more seriously. I’m not holding my breath

In the meantime, Denis Law: I was lucky enough to see him play. A great player. He was also one of the first radio pundits. He used to do Radio 2 alongside some legendary commentators like Peter Jones.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2021 18:46]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024