Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Statistics, Damn lies and Statistics. 08:41 - Aug 29 with 792 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Let's take emotion out of it for a second and be data driven, as supposedly the new regime is.

Let's examine Paul Cook's start to the season and Leam Richardson's start to the season bearing in mind their previous working relationship and the suggestion that LR might well have been responsible for at least some of the defensive coaching at PC's more successful teams.

LR Wigan after 5 games:
4th in the league.
P5 W3 D1 L1
Pts 10
Goals scored: 6
Goals conceded: 3
Players in: 13
Players out: 15

teams played: Sunderland, Wycombe, Portsmouth, Rotherham, Charlton

PC Ipswich after 5 games:
21st in the league (4th bottom)
P5 W0 D3 L2
Pts 3
Goals scored: 8
Goals conceded: 10
Players in: 17
Players out: 23

Teams played: Morecambe, Cheltenham, MK Don's, AFC Wimbledon, Burton Albion

[Post edited 29 Aug 2021 9:08]

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Statistics, Damn lies and Statistics. on 08:48 - Aug 29 with 728 viewsLightworker

Wow, that's actually a really tough start for Wigan and they have done remarkably well to pick up that many points and only concede 3 goals.

I haven't previously bought into the whole 'Richardson being the brains of the operation' theory where Cook was concerned, but you do start to wonder.....
Statistics, Damn lies and Statistics. on 08:52 - Aug 29 with 691 viewsCokeIsKey

I've been trying to say this, when Cook is 17 places and 7 points below his own assistant after five games, how can people still argue that Richardson didn't matter to Cook?

The moment I saw we had signed Cook I wasn't that excited, because Cook and Roberts were nowhere near the level of the Cook, Richardson, Barry coaching team that was at Wigan.

Poll: Should Lambert continue as the Ipswich Town manager?

Statistics, Damn lies and Statistics. on 09:12 - Aug 29 with 611 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Statistics, Damn lies and Statistics. on 08:48 - Aug 29 by Lightworker

Wow, that's actually a really tough start for Wigan and they have done remarkably well to pick up that many points and only concede 3 goals.

I haven't previously bought into the whole 'Richardson being the brains of the operation' theory where Cook was concerned, but you do start to wonder.....

I think it does help to clarify certain things. Also, I've just added the transfer ins and outs to the comparison as it makes interesting reading and arguably shreds the whole 'time to gel' excuse.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Statistics, Damn lies and Statistics. on 10:17 - Aug 29 with 412 viewsTractorCam

Thanks for posting this, although now i'm deperessed again.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Statistics, Damn lies and Statistics. on 10:18 - Aug 29 with 397 viewschrismakin

Marky

Any idea from Wigan.. how many of the current lineups are:

Inclusive of players already at Wigan under Leam
Already played with others under leam at pompy
How many players used over those games

Think it would be interesting to know.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Statistics, Damn lies and Statistics. on 10:35 - Aug 29 with 376 viewsChurchman

Statistics, Damn lies and Statistics. on 09:12 - Aug 29 by OriginalMarkyP

I think it does help to clarify certain things. Also, I've just added the transfer ins and outs to the comparison as it makes interesting reading and arguably shreds the whole 'time to gel' excuse.

It’s too soon to make a comparison. However it indicates the ‘time to gel’ argument is a load of nonsense. It’s the same for every club. There is more of an argument to say that Wigan have signed better players. I don’t suppose Wigan signed a useless goalkeeper, just as bad as the one shipped out but on a longer contract, for example. That we have so many injuries and are wiped out after 60 mins suggests fitness is an issue still too.

The excuses are over for me. At the moment we have a few good players for this sorry level, a few inadequate ones and no team. Whining on about individual errors is a nonsense. Good teams and players don’t have that problem. Cook, rightly in my view in the circumstances, embarked on this high risk strategy but he is accountable for making it work. It’s his job. At the moment it’s not good enough.

As many rightly say, it’s early days. It’s his team to own. Let’s see what the next few games bring, but for me Cook is in a lot of trouble.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024