Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tactic Tactics Tactics 10:04 - Sep 12 with 431 viewsDubtractor

I know everyone is an armchair manager, and think we know tactics better than the professionals, but I'm increasingly alarmed by the tactical side of our game.

Going forward we seem to rely on on of two options.

1) Overload the flanks, and get crosses into the box. The recruitment in the Summer has been hugely focussed on getting the players to do this, and in fairness when it works we look pretty good. Teams are clearly reacting to it in games though and stopping us from doing it as the game goes on. It also clearly relies on a huge level of fitness for the 90 minutes.

2) Long ball into the channels and playing a little bit of % football. This is fine, we're in league one after all and need to mix it up, but we're not really very good at it.

We occasionally do something else, but the game is clearly focussed on the 2 ways of playing.

With these 2 main attacking options, the number 10 role as an attacking midfielder is a bit lost and the game often passes them by. This is even more the case when the number 10 is 5 foot 6 and being asked to challenge for headers on a regular basis. Chaplin yesterday was given so little service into his feet it was criminal.

Defensively though, it's just a horror show, every game. I think the closest we have to defensive tactics is for the midfield 2 to regularly drop deep, but this leaves us so prone to attacks from the wide positions with there too often being a spare attacking player in a dangerous wide position - I'm not talking about players stuck on the touchline, but players on the corner of the penalty box.

The lack of game management is remarkable - we leave ourselves so exposed at times we should keep the game tight. To concede such a soft goal 5 minutes after going one up yesterday, because we were pushing too hard to get a second and left way too much space to play in, is just the latest example of this.

I've been a vocal advocate of Cook since before he joined, but he needs to get results VERY soon, or he will deservedly be looking for a new job.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Basics Basics Basics on 10:07 - Sep 12 with 408 viewshomer_123

Wouldn't go amiss. Shall we try and walk before we run?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Tactic Tactics Tactics on 10:11 - Sep 12 with 387 viewsRomeo4

That number 10 role in this system is tailor made for Crooks. Not getting him is looking more and more of a blow.
Tactic Tactics Tactics on 10:12 - Sep 12 with 377 viewstownblue

I think unlike a more traditional 442, in our formation the advanced wide men don't provide enough support to the fullbacks.

I'm very happy with us getting crosses into the box but as you suggest we are a bit one dimensional.

Not sure what the answer is tbh. Think I'd be tempted to play Pigott and Bonne together and try going a bit more direct. Then have the wingers sit a bit deeper to help out defensively.
Tactic Tactics Tactics on 10:53 - Sep 12 with 287 viewsCrayonKing

In another thread somebody mentioned a lack-of compactness when defending and I think this hit the nail on the head. At times yesterday the gap between the centre backs was enormous leading to easy passes straight through the middle of us. Likewise, Evans and Harper were often too far apart leaving so much space in the AMC position. Was a similar tale at times against MK Dons too.

With both full-backs hugging the touchline and pushing forwards I think we're spread too thin whenever we lose the ball.

I think we looked a lot more solid when Carrol came on because we had somebody directly protecting that AMC area and blocking the easy passes in to their centre-forward, but it may also be that Bolton were taking it easy by that point!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024