Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just a thought on formations etc 09:21 - Dec 3 with 560 viewsOwainG1992

To start off I agree the likes of Piggot etc deserve more opportunities and game time.

I personally would have liked to see two up top at times this campaign.

That being said if I'm right we're the 2nd highest top scorers so in a way Cook is right with sticking with his stubborn formation.

The issue is the goals going in the back of our net.

That's what I find odd because overall our defence seem to do well but then as a team we just completely switch off.

It's happened to many players this season.

What is the reason behind this?

I would add that I want Cook to be given more time because I want this whole project to work.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Just a thought on formations etc on 09:33 - Dec 3 with 516 viewsgordon

We've scored 2 goals in our last 4 league games, so scoring goals is a/the problem. It's basically since KVY and Coulson/Penney were replaced by Donacien & Clements at full-back that our attacking play has really suffered.
Just a thought on formations etc on 09:38 - Dec 3 with 502 viewsDavoIPB

Just a thought on formations etc on 09:33 - Dec 3 by gordon

We've scored 2 goals in our last 4 league games, so scoring goals is a/the problem. It's basically since KVY and Coulson/Penney were replaced by Donacien & Clements at full-back that our attacking play has really suffered.

Did you see how Donacien and Aluko linked up on Sunday? Wes Burns and Donacien work really well together as well. Clements yes doesn't provide any real attacking outlet. Think our goals have dried up because Bonne keeps missing open goals or one on one with the keeper. Also some of the games were cup games where we had a second string out/Piggott was our striker.
Just a thought on formations etc on 09:42 - Dec 3 with 487 viewsitfcjoe

Not going to happen but I'd like to see a 3 at the back formation, think it would allow us to get a better rounded team out of the squad

GK - Walton

RCB - Woolf/Donacien
CB - Edmundson/Nsiala
LCB - Burgess/Edmundson

RWB - Burns/Vincent-Young
LWB - Penney/ Coulson

RCM - Morsy/Evans
LCM - Fraser/El Miz

AM - Celina/Chaplin/Aluko/Edwards

ST - Bonne/Pigott

So could be a 3421, or a 3412, or even a 343 - just think we'll be a bit more solid at the back with it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Just a thought on formations etc on 11:58 - Dec 3 with 384 viewsBseaBlue

Just a thought on formations etc on 09:42 - Dec 3 by itfcjoe

Not going to happen but I'd like to see a 3 at the back formation, think it would allow us to get a better rounded team out of the squad

GK - Walton

RCB - Woolf/Donacien
CB - Edmundson/Nsiala
LCB - Burgess/Edmundson

RWB - Burns/Vincent-Young
LWB - Penney/ Coulson

RCM - Morsy/Evans
LCM - Fraser/El Miz

AM - Celina/Chaplin/Aluko/Edwards

ST - Bonne/Pigott

So could be a 3421, or a 3412, or even a 343 - just think we'll be a bit more solid at the back with it

I would love to see Woolf in a 3 at the back setup. Whilst I don't think he has been the best defensively, having the other two defenders would give him the freedom to be the ball playing centre half.

This could also give us more impetus in getting forward and stop all of the sideways and backwards stuff.
Just a thought on formations etc on 11:59 - Dec 3 with 381 viewsgordon

Just a thought on formations etc on 09:38 - Dec 3 by DavoIPB

Did you see how Donacien and Aluko linked up on Sunday? Wes Burns and Donacien work really well together as well. Clements yes doesn't provide any real attacking outlet. Think our goals have dried up because Bonne keeps missing open goals or one on one with the keeper. Also some of the games were cup games where we had a second string out/Piggott was our striker.

Yes, they were really good, mainly for only the first ten minutes though.
Just a thought on formations etc on 12:41 - Dec 3 with 366 viewsLankHenners

He just needs to work out how to get the 4231 working properly. He started off the season pushing the full backs really high and having the CMs switching play to them but didn't have the personnel/collective discipline to keep things solid when we lost the ball. He then (half by accident) ended up with full backs who won't/can't bomb on as much so the pressure to create fell on the front 4 with occasional support from the FBs which steadied things a bit but saw chance creation drop off and we still had/have the problem of looking fragile.

The Wycombe line-up was pretty ballsy considering the match-up but turned out to be the blueprint for how things should work but unfortunately that looks more and more like a flash in the pan.

People say he's too stubborn but for me the issue is he's almost the opposite but can't get his thinking straight from match-to-match. Some games we'll dominate possession against a team sitting back so do we need Evans and Morsy in there? Harper looks an awkward fit for the formation but in those scenarios having someone comfortable to carry the ball from deep up the field may be useful. Equally, putting KVY in and instructing him to play as an extra winger benefits us there. Games where the balance of play will be shared out a bit more might require a more solid 'base' with more attacking responsibility given to the forward players.

In addition to above, whilst Burns' injury forces his hand a bit, playing 3 CAMs who all like to play narrow without having FBs to make up the width just doesn't work as it becomes too comfortable for teams to get into shape and let us play in front of them; we looked less threatening against Oxford once we changed to that in the 2nd half. Likewise, it wasn't a surprise that Edwards looked the most likely route to a 3rd goal against Crewe as we finally had someone on the pitch to drive the ball forwards and commit defenders. For me he has to be starting every game, certainly while Burns is out.

I don't think two up top really does us as many favours as people claim it does, it's the new 'bring Celina on' as far as I'm concerned. However, in games where we can't stretch the play as much and get Bonne in behind then Piggot needs to come in as he's better on the ball and will drop a bit deeper to get involved in play which forces opposition defenders into a decision to go to or hold off which should allow us opportunities to exploit them.

Tl;dr - the 'stubbornness' of the 4231 is a red herring and Cook and his staff need to work out how to make it work as it can be very effective, but will need subtle tweaks both in game and against different opposition.

Though to add, I can very much see any new manager coming in and wanting to try 3 at the back with the players we have.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Just a thought on formations etc on 12:55 - Dec 3 with 334 viewschrismakin

Well based on Pcs comments I don't think Pigott is in the running for a league start anytime soon.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024