Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
With rivals investing - Accrington game and our inconsistency hones into view 11:18 - Jan 19 with 1076 viewsunstableblue

Excepting left back.... our squad should NOT need augmenting

Perhaps suggestions on centre back back-up, central midfield competition, and controversially a striker!! (not sure many will agree with the latter) - but given the investment made already and the time its taking to gel the team, it really does feel we don't need to bring in 2,3,4 players as some rivals seem to be doing.

The likes of Wigan, Sheff Weds, Pompey see promotion chances as good this year. Owls not there for me.

But my BIG concern is simple - this team flatters to deceive on consistency, confidence and personality to get a necessary run of results going. Even under Cook and his flaws, when the team performed - we blew teams away (Second half Pompey, 70mins Wycombe, 85mins Sunderland, Donny) - but then fell into bad habits, mistakes, a lack of press.

Critically we lose our ambition, belief, desire to play the ball forward and beat the man. That was the Bolton no show.

Now I think McKenna is a better tactician than Cook; I think his better set-up, and tactics mean we can carry a few 5 out of 10 performances.... BUT even he cannot carry five, six players putting in a 5 out of 10.

I think we will know a lot more about this group of players and McKenna's ability to empower them by 5pm Saturday. I'm hoping Bolton was a blip. But a loss and mediocre display, then not only is the season over, but you start to really question this group.

I expect Edmundson and Burns to bounce back. But will Evans, will Penney, will Norwood, will Donacien?

This is not a criticism of McKenna, I think he shouldn't be expected to get to the play-offs, despite loads of time on the grass already, he needs more and over time his own players. Indeed I feel he'll make changes across the team over the remaining game - e.g. Celina, Chaplin

But this group HAVE to start showing consistency.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

With rivals investing - Accrington game and our inconsistency hones into view on 11:37 - Jan 19 with 996 viewsStokieBlue

I think you're overthinking things again.

We've played 3 matches under McKenna, the sample size is nowhere near big enough to make the sweeping conclusions you have in your post. Incorporating data from the Cook era to increase the sample size isn't really valid as they are two different entities.

Sometimes people just need to calm down and see how the next 5 to 10 matches play out before forming conclusions.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

With rivals investing - Accrington game and our inconsistency hones into view on 14:19 - Jan 19 with 857 viewsunstableblue

With rivals investing - Accrington game and our inconsistency hones into view on 11:37 - Jan 19 by StokieBlue

I think you're overthinking things again.

We've played 3 matches under McKenna, the sample size is nowhere near big enough to make the sweeping conclusions you have in your post. Incorporating data from the Cook era to increase the sample size isn't really valid as they are two different entities.

Sometimes people just need to calm down and see how the next 5 to 10 matches play out before forming conclusions.

SB

Fair point on sample size.

I think where I was coming from, and I think there is some validity, is what I saw at Bolton was the same player inconsistency, desire and performance issues that we have seen from the group all season.... I don't think these are tactical, training and in some part managerial issues - my point is: you can keep changing managers and systems, but if the group can't be consistent it ain't ever gonna work.

Lets see where we are after Accrington and Wimbledon. But it the players fail to turn up Saturday, I think my point becomes more valid.

If we have a Wycombe at home level of commitment against Stanley (which we'll need)... then my argument goes in the bin (probably where it belongs!!)

With rivals investing - Accrington game and our inconsistency hones into view on 14:27 - Jan 19 with 849 viewsitfcsuth

We've said this group needs to show consistency all season, I have no reason to believe it will start now - especially after just 3 games under a new manager.

We are too far away right now.
With rivals investing - Accrington game and our inconsistency hones into view on 14:35 - Jan 19 with 833 viewsunstableblue

With rivals investing - Accrington game and our inconsistency hones into view on 14:27 - Jan 19 by itfcsuth

We've said this group needs to show consistency all season, I have no reason to believe it will start now - especially after just 3 games under a new manager.

We are too far away right now.

Given the below fixtures, the squad we have, how long they have been together to form partnerships, and now a manager who seems to have tactical flexibility and has hit the ground running, how on earth aren't we expecting a Play-Off drive?!

But lets look on the bright side a lot of goodness in the Wycombe and Gills performances, Bolton hopefully a blip... COYB

22 Jan 15:00 Accrington Stanley H
25 Jan 19:45 AFC Wimbledon A
29 Jan 15:00 Sheffield Wednesday A

5 Feb 15:00 Gillingham H
8 Feb 19:45 Doncaster Rovers A
12 Feb 15:00 MK Dons A
19 Feb 15:00 Burton Albion H
22 Feb 19:45 Cheltenham Town H
26 Feb 15:00 Morecambe

With rivals investing - Accrington game and our inconsistency hones into view on 14:39 - Jan 19 with 823 viewsAlexGreen

Donacien has (almost) as much credit in the bank as Edmundson IMHO - he's barely put a foot wrong this season and has been a joy to watch grow, I don't think one mediocre performance alongside all the others should get him on the Penney list!

Poll: Who from our injured list will play the most games in 20/21

With rivals investing - Accrington game and our inconsistency hones into view on 14:44 - Jan 19 with 782 viewsunstableblue

With rivals investing - Accrington game and our inconsistency hones into view on 14:39 - Jan 19 by AlexGreen

Donacien has (almost) as much credit in the bank as Edmundson IMHO - he's barely put a foot wrong this season and has been a joy to watch grow, I don't think one mediocre performance alongside all the others should get him on the Penney list!

Agreed.

And I also feel the left side centre back role of the 3 really suits him and he can grow further.

Just need to get that telepathic and positive connections with Burns fully firing again.

Wolfenden was out best player at Bolton... so I think this is an areas I am less worried about.

Evans, Penney, Norwood, Bonne and to a lesser extent Morsy the concern areas.

I LOVE Aluko but I do wonder how effective he is sometimes and whether Celina/Chaplin are going to come in.

With rivals investing - Accrington game and our inconsistency hones into view on 17:03 - Jan 19 with 613 viewsitfcsuth

With rivals investing - Accrington game and our inconsistency hones into view on 14:35 - Jan 19 by unstableblue

Given the below fixtures, the squad we have, how long they have been together to form partnerships, and now a manager who seems to have tactical flexibility and has hit the ground running, how on earth aren't we expecting a Play-Off drive?!

But lets look on the bright side a lot of goodness in the Wycombe and Gills performances, Bolton hopefully a blip... COYB

22 Jan 15:00 Accrington Stanley H
25 Jan 19:45 AFC Wimbledon A
29 Jan 15:00 Sheffield Wednesday A

5 Feb 15:00 Gillingham H
8 Feb 19:45 Doncaster Rovers A
12 Feb 15:00 MK Dons A
19 Feb 15:00 Burton Albion H
22 Feb 19:45 Cheltenham Town H
26 Feb 15:00 Morecambe

We’ve had far more blips than good performances.

I don’t look at that fixture list and think we’ll go on really strong run, starting with Acc. Stanley. Would I be surprised if they came here and took a draw or all 3 points - absolutely not.

That can be said about other fixtures there - Sheff Wed, Burton, Cheltenham, MK Dons.
With rivals investing - Accrington game and our inconsistency hones into view on 17:40 - Jan 19 with 583 viewsPinewoodblue

With rivals investing - Accrington game and our inconsistency hones into view on 17:03 - Jan 19 by itfcsuth

We’ve had far more blips than good performances.

I don’t look at that fixture list and think we’ll go on really strong run, starting with Acc. Stanley. Would I be surprised if they came here and took a draw or all 3 points - absolutely not.

That can be said about other fixtures there - Sheff Wed, Burton, Cheltenham, MK Dons.

We need to be realistic about our current position in the third tier. We are 2 places, and 2 points, ahead of Newly promoted Cambridge United.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

With rivals investing - Accrington game and our inconsistency hones into view on 18:08 - Jan 19 with 524 viewsitfcsuth

With rivals investing - Accrington game and our inconsistency hones into view on 17:40 - Jan 19 by Pinewoodblue

We need to be realistic about our current position in the third tier. We are 2 places, and 2 points, ahead of Newly promoted Cambridge United.

I think that does need to be done. We are now a League 1 club - and right now a mid table one.

We have to work hard to get out of this division, because it isn’t an easy league to get out of, and is getting stronger and stronger every year.

Same old cliches, but there are very very few easy games in this division.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024