Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone watching the big match revisited on itv 4? 23:24 - Sep 7 with 1665 viewsWhos_blue

It's the 74/75 season, which I guess is Robson's first great Town team. I was born in 71, so a bit before my time.
Town haven't featured too much so far, but their 2-0 home win over Chelsea was on this weekend. Talbot and Johnson (mk1) scored. Osborne missed a sitter and Whymark suffered a very painful collision with the post. Ouch!
The Arsenal coach Bobby Campbell was the featured guest and he spoke very highly of the Beat and said he thought he was better than Duncan Edwards. High praise indeed.
The anchor is the incredible Brian Moore. I don't think I realised what a great football person he was. His commentaries are first class and his interviews are spot on.
One of my favourite episodes so far featured Cloughie during his very short tenure as Leeds manager. It was fascinating to hear him talk about the team and his job whilst he was still there.
It's great to look back at how footy was back then. To see the parka clad kids run on at the end of many of the games is superb.
Famously Jimmy Hill featured as a lino in a match once, but in one of the games a lino got injured and a fella from the club took over. He ran the line in his trousers and shoes, with just a borrowed sweat top on top of his shirt.
Marvellous!!!!!

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Anyone watching the big match revisited on itv 4? on 01:14 - Sep 8 with 1586 viewsBluespeed225

The bloke who came on as lino had slip ons on. VAR my ars*! We shoulkd feature quite a lot in this series, 74/5.
Anyone watching the big match revisited on itv 4? on 06:57 - Sep 8 with 1474 viewsiamatractorboy

Interesting piece of trivia about 1974/75:

I believe it is the only season pre-1981 (and the introduction of 3 points for a win) where if the 3 points for a win and goal difference were applied as they are now, that a different team would win the top flight. Guess who missed out? I think we all know the answer.
Anyone watching the big match revisited on itv 4? on 06:58 - Sep 8 with 1473 viewsChurchman

Robson’s first great team emerged two years earlier in 1972/73 when they finished fourth. The previous four seasons had been a bit of a mix and match struggle. Threats of relegation, strings of losses, recoveries, especially towards seasons end.

By 72/3, we had some very good top level players. Viljoen, Whymark, Mills, Morris, Collard and especially Hunter and Beattie who made his debut at Man U.

By 1974/75 the team had refined and was seriously strong. Talbot and Burley had emerged, Woods was an effective winger and Robson robbed Everton of David Johnson 1. A seriously good player. It finished 4th and went on to the semi finals of the FA Cup, which it deserved to win, deservedly beating Liverpool and Leeds in Rd 4 and 6.

We were a lot stronger than West Ham, but run out of players, basically. We were not quite as devastating as the 1981 team, but boy were we good.

Brian Moore was the best commentator of the lot. He was a lovely bloke too. He went to my father and brother in law’s church in Farnborough Kent and they knew him to talk to. Big Gillingham fan, you always got the impression other football people respected him. - which they did.

It was a great time to watch football. The grounds weren’t always great, there was the threat of violence on odd occasions, terrible pitches, but it was exciting and fun. There wasn’t much of it on the tv - thank god for Match of the Week.

There wasn’t the histrionics or nonsense of today. It was different, but then everything changes. For me it was the golden age of football and music, but then I would say that.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2022 7:02]
Anyone watching the big match revisited on itv 4? on 07:24 - Sep 8 with 1416 viewsWhos_blue

Anyone watching the big match revisited on itv 4? on 06:58 - Sep 8 by Churchman

Robson’s first great team emerged two years earlier in 1972/73 when they finished fourth. The previous four seasons had been a bit of a mix and match struggle. Threats of relegation, strings of losses, recoveries, especially towards seasons end.

By 72/3, we had some very good top level players. Viljoen, Whymark, Mills, Morris, Collard and especially Hunter and Beattie who made his debut at Man U.

By 1974/75 the team had refined and was seriously strong. Talbot and Burley had emerged, Woods was an effective winger and Robson robbed Everton of David Johnson 1. A seriously good player. It finished 4th and went on to the semi finals of the FA Cup, which it deserved to win, deservedly beating Liverpool and Leeds in Rd 4 and 6.

We were a lot stronger than West Ham, but run out of players, basically. We were not quite as devastating as the 1981 team, but boy were we good.

Brian Moore was the best commentator of the lot. He was a lovely bloke too. He went to my father and brother in law’s church in Farnborough Kent and they knew him to talk to. Big Gillingham fan, you always got the impression other football people respected him. - which they did.

It was a great time to watch football. The grounds weren’t always great, there was the threat of violence on odd occasions, terrible pitches, but it was exciting and fun. There wasn’t much of it on the tv - thank god for Match of the Week.

There wasn’t the histrionics or nonsense of today. It was different, but then everything changes. For me it was the golden age of football and music, but then I would say that.

Nice one.

Great to hear from someone who experienced it first hand.
I wonder if the infamous semi final will feature later in the series.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Anyone watching the big match revisited on itv 4? on 07:36 - Sep 8 with 1389 viewsChurchman

Anyone watching the big match revisited on itv 4? on 07:24 - Sep 8 by Whos_blue

Nice one.

In 1975 we played 10 matches in March, including 4 in 8 days followed by 7 in April.

Says it all really. It’s a measure of how good they were that of the league games alone the record was won 6, drew 3, lost 2
[Post edited 8 Sep 2022 7:40]
Anyone watching the big match revisited on itv 4? on 07:45 - Sep 8 with 1375 viewsKitman

I remember watching the Jimmy Hill lino thing first time around. He was described I think by Brian Moore as volunteering to run the line, despite just having had a 'heavy lunch'. Make of that what you will but my money is on that they had a semi inebriated linesman on for the second half!

Blog: [Blog] Interesting Start to the New Season

Anyone watching the big match revisited on itv 4? on 08:31 - Sep 8 with 1298 viewsElephantintheRoom

Anyone watching the big match revisited on itv 4? on 06:58 - Sep 8 by Churchman

You could add the epic FA Cup run - knocking out holders Liverpool in 3rd round and champions Leeds (eventually) in 4th round both in front of packed Portman Road record crowd's - followed by coming back from 2 goals down v Villa, also at Portman Rd. and all this from a team that had never got to the quarter final before. The trip up to Villa Park for a disappointing damp squib of a semi was memorable - with the convoys of scarf-flagged cars - and Brummy urchins offering to ‘mind your car’. Less said about Stamford Bridge the better.

The Filbert Street replay was John Wark’s first game - replacing Beattie who’s career was effectively already over in his early 20s.

This was the year ‘Robson’s impressive young Ipswich team’ really emerged as a force - and were tipped to win the league the following season.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Anyone watching the big match revisited on itv 4? on 10:45 - Sep 8 with 1186 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Anyone watching the big match revisited on itv 4? on 07:24 - Sep 8 by Whos_blue

Nice one.

That replay still haunts me. First game was a bit of a non event tbh.

Poll: Our final position

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone watching the big match revisited on itv 4? on 13:54 - Sep 8 with 1094 viewsellaandred

Anyone watching the big match revisited on itv 4? on 08:31 - Sep 8 by ElephantintheRoom

You could add the epic FA Cup run - knocking out holders Liverpool in 3rd round and champions Leeds (eventually) in 4th round both in front of packed Portman Road record crowd's - followed by coming back from 2 goals down v Villa, also at Portman Rd. and all this from a team that had never got to the quarter final before. The trip up to Villa Park for a disappointing damp squib of a semi was memorable - with the convoys of scarf-flagged cars - and Brummy urchins offering to ‘mind your car’. Less said about Stamford Bridge the better.

The Filbert Street replay was John Wark’s first game - replacing Beattie who’s career was effectively already over in his early 20s.

This was the year ‘Robson’s impressive young Ipswich team’ really emerged as a force - and were tipped to win the league the following season.

I believe Allan Hunter had 'a word' with Allan Clarke who left a bit on Warky in the Filbert Street replay.
Anyone watching the big match revisited on itv 4? on 14:37 - Sep 8 with 1058 viewsChurchman

Anyone watching the big match revisited on itv 4? on 13:54 - Sep 8 by ellaandred

I believe Allan Hunter had 'a word' with Allan Clarke who left a bit on Warky in the Filbert Street replay.

According to Wark, Allan Hunter’s ‘word’ after about 60 minutes was ‘one more and I’ll break your f&£king leg’. He would have done too.

Clarke had been verbally abusing him, standing on his toes etc, nipping and spitting all game. I was down the tiny stand end and was close enough to hear and see some of it in the first half.

After Hunter’s…… persuasive words, Clarke stopped it.
Anyone watching the big match revisited on itv 4? on 14:44 - Sep 8 with 1049 viewsTrequartista

Anyone watching the big match revisited on itv 4? on 06:57 - Sep 8 by iamatractorboy

Interesting piece of trivia about 1974/75:

I believe it is the only season pre-1981 (and the introduction of 3 points for a win) where if the 3 points for a win and goal difference were applied as they are now, that a different team would win the top flight. Guess who missed out? I think we all know the answer.

Derby had already won the title with one game to go so i suspect they would have beaten relegated Carlisle at home if they had needed to. <spoilsport mode off>

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Anyone watching the big match revisited on itv 4? on 15:06 - Sep 8 with 1011 viewsellaandred

Anyone watching the big match revisited on itv 4? on 14:37 - Sep 8 by Churchman

According to Wark, Allan Hunter’s ‘word’ after about 60 minutes was ‘one more and I’ll break your f&£king leg’. He would have done too.

Clarke had been verbally abusing him, standing on his toes etc, nipping and spitting all game. I was down the tiny stand end and was close enough to hear and see some of it in the first half.

After Hunter’s…… persuasive words, Clarke stopped it.

Yes, I believe that is correct!
I was being diplomatic :-)
Anyone watching the big match revisited on itv 4? on 15:16 - Sep 8 with 1004 viewsChurchman

Anyone watching the big match revisited on itv 4? on 15:06 - Sep 8 by ellaandred

Yes, I believe that is correct!
I was being diplomatic :-)

So was I!

He was a piece of work was Allan Clarke. Flippin good player too, sadly.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024