Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit economics 16:32 - Sep 14 with 647 viewsHARRY10

The EU plan to tax the excess profits the energy companies make - and to use that money to reduce the energy bills that the people in the EU will pay.

Scottish Power (not a Scottish company) will be a recipient of the Truss Tax and will make billions of £’s in excess profits.

Scottish Power is owned by the Spanish energy company Iberdrola which will be taxed on its excess profits under this proposed EU law.

Much as with EDF, owned by the French state

But this is a government made up of those who served in the previous government, who saw (and still do) no problem with dodgy companies making excess profits from supplying (what was often faulty) PPE.

or, running companies that many billions from faulty track and trace systems.

We are now told the proposal is to stop the campaign designed to reduce junk food sold to kids.

Must make yer prahd to be a rightie, innit
Brexit economics on 16:41 - Sep 14 with 608 viewsSwansea_Blue

On the face of it, it does seem like we have a rather consumer unfriendly position on this.

The max unit price announcement is a good thing in the short term for many (millions maybe?). Although people will still struggle though when the price rises earlier in the year start hitting their larger usage bills during the winter. It seems more help will be needed.

But the way this is being paid for? Kind of stinks doesn't it? Humongous government subsidies that will be indirectly past to the international generators who are making record profits.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Brexit economics on 17:03 - Sep 14 with 566 viewsWeekender

So if I understand it correctly the UK Gov will borrow £billions to pay for energy meaning Scottish Power retain £billions in profit that will (at least in part) be taxed by the EU to subsidise EU consumers.

In other words tax paid by our future generations is paying (in part) for this winters EU energy.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Brexit economics on 17:05 - Sep 14 with 562 viewsgiant_stow

Brexit economics on 16:41 - Sep 14 by Swansea_Blue

On the face of it, it does seem like we have a rather consumer unfriendly position on this.

The max unit price announcement is a good thing in the short term for many (millions maybe?). Although people will still struggle though when the price rises earlier in the year start hitting their larger usage bills during the winter. It seems more help will be needed.

But the way this is being paid for? Kind of stinks doesn't it? Humongous government subsidies that will be indirectly past to the international generators who are making record profits.

It very much stinks. Like the big smelly poo I just gave to the toilet to munch on.

At least Trust is being true to herself and not hiding who's precious to her.

And also, I believe wholesale energy prices are currently dropping quite nicely, so perhaps the final bill won't be too horrendous? One of the resident energy industry experts would have to confirm if that will help the consumer though.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Brexit economics on 17:08 - Sep 14 with 552 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Is this an EU thing or individual governments within Europe? Has the EU got a taxation remit?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Brexit economics on 17:11 - Sep 14 with 541 viewsgiant_stow

Brexit economics on 17:08 - Sep 14 by BanksterDebtSlave

Is this an EU thing or individual governments within Europe? Has the EU got a taxation remit?

good question.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Brexit economics on 17:13 - Sep 14 with 527 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Brexit economics on 17:11 - Sep 14 by giant_stow

good question.

Well thank you ullaa, I'm full of them.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Brexit economics on 17:37 - Sep 14 with 492 viewsPinewoodblue

I must have misread the news item I saw. formed the impression that the EU intended to cap energy prices not generated by gas. Historically, to encourage green energy, the wholesale price of electricity was set at the same price as that generated using gas.

Now of course it should be a lot cheaper as the cost of electricity produced by wind / solar hasn't increased in the way that gas generated electricity has.

Miss Truss(t) has lost her voice but hopefully will make a full recovery by next Tuesday and pull her finger out.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_22_5489
[Post edited 14 Sep 2022 18:09]

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Brexit economics on 17:44 - Sep 14 with 473 viewsBloomBlue

Brexit economics on 17:08 - Sep 14 by BanksterDebtSlave

No the EU doesn't have a tax remit, it would have to be individual countries based on the profits those companies made in the individual countries.

Maybe Harry meant Countries in the EU.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024