Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EFL Trophy draw 11:59 - Nov 11 with 990 viewsZx1988

I've only just noticed that tonight's draw has been set in such a way as to further limit the number of possible opponents for us; namely one of:

Charlton
Portsmouth
Peterborough
Cheltenham

Is there any particular rhyme or reason to this? It just seems as if they've split it along the lines of Groups A-D and Groups E-H.

Whilst I'd back us to beat anyone left in the competition, it's a bit annoying given that the majority of the 'easier' opposition (Bristol Rovers, Sutton, Newport, Arsenal U21s) now sit in the other half of the Southern draw. I assume from Round 3 onwards it'll be an open draw for the Southern section?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

EFL Trophy draw on 13:16 - Nov 11 with 812 viewsSharkey

My guess is that it's a ( very crude) way of making sure they don't need to have a re-draw if a team is drawn against the team it had already played in the group stages.
EFL Trophy draw on 13:18 - Nov 11 with 794 viewsPerublue

I think they did this last season too....and I was equally perplexed as to the reasoning for it.
Round 3 will again be "regionalised" open or not but after that it's looking like a free-for-all regardless of region,group or position in them.....I love pizza

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

EFL Trophy draw on 13:23 - Nov 11 with 750 viewsZx1988

EFL Trophy draw on 13:16 - Nov 11 by Sharkey

My guess is that it's a ( very crude) way of making sure they don't need to have a re-draw if a team is drawn against the team it had already played in the group stages.

Yeah, that makes sense as a reason, but it still seems a bit silly given that most other competitions are able to work with those sorts of parameters yet retain as open a draw as possible.

It probably works better if the groups go according to plan - they probably didn't expect Portsmouth, Charlton, and Peterborough to come second to the likes of Colchester, Stevenage, and Wimbledon...

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

EFL Trophy draw on 13:26 - Nov 11 with 725 viewsPhilTWTD

EFL Trophy draw on 13:16 - Nov 11 by Sharkey

I'm sure that's it. UEFA do much the same with their competitions, splitting into pools like that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024