Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Only just seen this from Jeff Stelling 21:04 - May 22 with 2191 viewsgtsb1966

Sorry if already posted.
Only just seen this from Jeff Stelling on 21:10 - May 22 with 2118 viewscatch74

Thanks for posting hadn’t seen this - got me going.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Only just seen this from Jeff Stelling on 21:18 - May 22 with 2073 viewsghostofescobar

Very powerful. I have a fairly good knowledge of mental health issues via some severe mental health problems on my wife’s side of the family and my youngest sons challenges (autism and extreme anxiety), but I am a bit ashamed to say that I didn’t realise eating disorders were such a big problem. And yet again, the state is not there to help people in need. Shameful, but completely predictable. Thanks for posting, it has certainly made me more aware.

GhostOfEscobar

Only just seen this from Jeff Stelling on 07:05 - May 23 with 1617 viewsChurchman

Only just seen this from Jeff Stelling on 21:18 - May 22 by ghostofescobar

Very powerful. I have a fairly good knowledge of mental health issues via some severe mental health problems on my wife’s side of the family and my youngest sons challenges (autism and extreme anxiety), but I am a bit ashamed to say that I didn’t realise eating disorders were such a big problem. And yet again, the state is not there to help people in need. Shameful, but completely predictable. Thanks for posting, it has certainly made me more aware.

Well said Mr Stelling. Couldn’t agree more. I didn’t realise that eating disorders were such a problem either. No idea. I should have done, given a chum of mine wound up in the Priory (paid for by his employers) and nearly died from a form of anorexia.

Mental health is not taken seriously in this country. For years it’s something to shy away from, ignore, avoid and in the government’s case rich pickings for savings. They’re not interested. I suspect certain politicians we know and love view it as weakness, people not trying. ‘Pull yourself together’ - that sort of thing.

My best mate has a son who’s mildly autistic. He’s able to work and drive a car etc but will always need a lot support including after his parents are gone. Any meagre help that’s available by the state is hard to access and being chipped away at. It is totally the wrong approach.

We talk about inclusivity and most right thinking people believe that’s how it should be, in my view. But those who hold power don’t agree. You only have to look at the lack of interest in organisations like Remploy and the axe taken to rate support grant, their dismissal of mental health issues to know that ‘small government’ = you’re on your own, stand on your own two feet, look after number one. There isn’t the money. Yes there is. There just isn’t the will. They don’t care.

Jeff Stelling is right. In the 21st century it’s a disgrace. One of many, sadly.
Only just seen this from Jeff Stelling on 07:48 - May 23 with 1538 viewsDanTheMan

Only just seen this from Jeff Stelling on 21:18 - May 22 by ghostofescobar

I've mentioned before that my wife works in an eating disorder clinic, and they are seeing a fairly sizeable uptick in the number of patients. Their backlog is absolutely massive but there is very little funding (and also very little funding to train clinical psychologists).

I also have some personal experience as a family member who has bulimia combined with other mental health issues. She was very close to death, especially over COVID but is now in recovery.

The amount of strain it can put on the body is enormous.

There was a thread recently on here where people (including myself) raised an eyebrow at a story about where a cartoon was edited because it had one of the characters in it try and get healthy because they were fat. I mentioned in the thread that I'd ask my wife what she thought about it as I wasn't the expert and forgot to actually mention her response.

Now, are we going too far here? by homer_123 5 May 2023 14:36
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65496426

So, a kids TV show has been edited :

"Some said they did not want their children to see adults being dissatisfied with the shape of their bodies, and only using exercise to lose weight."

Surely, you want the opposite of this don't you? If I, as a parent, recognise that I'm overweight and look to do something about that (including exercise or looking to eat more healthily), from a health and wellbeing perspective, why would that be an issue for kids?

This seems nuts to me.

I believe her initial response when I showed her the story was just "ohhhhh dear". Basically reinforced what was said by the other clinical psychologists in the story that by itself it was unlikely to do any harm but it is just one avenue in which pressure is applied to young people linking things like exercise specifically to losing fat rather than being healthy.

I've actually seen personally what happens when people with eating disorders link those things and combine their eating disorder with a compulsion to be constantly at the gym.

Good on Jeff Stelling for raising awareness of this.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Only just seen this from Jeff Stelling on 08:52 - May 23 with 1258 viewsZx1988

Strong, powerful, and vital message for sure - based on his emotional reaction to the piece, one cannot help but wonder if he has some sort of (in)direct personal experience of the subject.

It does sit a little uncomfortably, though, that whilst he's making vital comment such as this in the name of mental health etc., he can also be found on screens in homes and stadia up and down the country extolling the great fun and excitement to be found in sports betting. Hopefully he'll see (and act upon) the irony as well.
[Post edited 23 May 2023 9:18]

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Only just seen this from Jeff Stelling on 10:03 - May 23 with 1044 viewsbrazil1982

Gambling can cause untold amounts of mental health challenges. Perhaps Jeff could start to disassociate himself with Sky Bet?
Only just seen this from Jeff Stelling on 11:13 - May 23 with 940 viewsmkbobby

WOW hadn't seen that that meant something to him
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024