Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite 'cr*p' players? 13:43 - Jan 19 with 13885 viewsSwailsey

Players who probably weren't very good but you liked them anyway? Players who others seemingly hated, but liked?

I know there's been similar threads like this before, but with all the hatred JD is getting, it's worth remembering that far worse players have been strangely liked, without any reason.

For me?

Colin Healy (still maintain he was a good player, ruined by injury)
Manual Thetis
ALB
Ben Thatcher*
N'Daw

*mainly because I signed him on FM years ago and he was ace for me.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2017 13:57]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 08:51 - Jan 20 with 1263 viewsRadlett_blue

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 18:42 - Jan 19 by michaeldownunder

George Santos - Met him a few times, gentle speaking man but an animal on the pitch I can remember him being played in mid-field for a few games talk about a sq peg in a round hole.

Gus. could run very fast but with his head down if someone had opened the gate he would have run strt out of Portman road with the ball.

In fairness to BFJ, he quickly realised that Santos was nowhere near mobile enough to play in midfield & the "experiment", as you say, only lasted a couple of games.
Along with Drissa Diallo, he was one of BFJ's worst Town signings.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 12:04 - Jan 20 with 1200 viewshoppy

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 08:51 - Jan 20 by Radlett_blue

In fairness to BFJ, he quickly realised that Santos was nowhere near mobile enough to play in midfield & the "experiment", as you say, only lasted a couple of games.
Along with Drissa Diallo, he was one of BFJ's worst Town signings.

But that deal was done 'for footballing reasons', so to enable it, BFJ had allowed Thomas Gaardsoe to leave for WBA (despite being the far better player IMHO)...

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/santos_gets_two_year_deal_with_town_1_61013

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 12:07 - Jan 20 with 1191 viewsRadlett_blue

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 12:04 - Jan 20 by hoppy

But that deal was done 'for footballing reasons', so to enable it, BFJ had allowed Thomas Gaardsoe to leave for WBA (despite being the far better player IMHO)...

Hmm..BFJ never approached the MM level of bull, but yes, that one was very hard to spin.

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 12:25 - Jan 20 with 1173 viewsGeoffSentence

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 12:04 - Jan 20 by hoppy

Getting rid of Gaardsoe to enable us to get Santos was either b'llox of the highest order or utter madness.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 12:46 - Jan 20 with 1160 viewstheblueginger

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:50 - Jan 19 by RobTheMonk

Priskin - Convinced there's a player somewhere in there.
Shumi - Random unknown foreigner with a cool name.
ALB - I didn't actually think he was as terrible as he's made out to be.
Balkenstein - Cultured left foot but that's about it.
Fallon - No reason. Just liked him!

Deffo agree with the Shumi comment.

Add Alex Bruce to that list. And Ivan Campo, who we signed about 3 years too late.
Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 12:56 - Jan 20 with 1145 viewstheblueginger

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:55 - Jan 19 by Swansea_Blue

Leadboots was good though - the 90% are daft. He stood out then and would be streets ahead of who we've got now.

Its' because Town fans don't know what a good CM is. Leadboots was slated for 3 seasons, yet the moment he left we were paperweight in the middle. Meanwhile he ended up in the prem....
Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 12:56 - Jan 20 with 1146 viewshoppy

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 12:25 - Jan 20 by GeoffSentence

Getting rid of Gaardsoe to enable us to get Santos was either b'llox of the highest order or utter madness.

No, no, no... you don't understand, it was to be able to get Santos AND Diallo...
Actually, yes, you're right... complete madness.

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 12:58 - Jan 20 with 1143 viewsPhilTWTD

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 12:56 - Jan 20 by hoppy

No, no, no... you don't understand, it was to be able to get Santos AND Diallo...
Actually, yes, you're right... complete madness.

Joe didn't rate Gaardsoe at all as a centre-half. If the West Brom offer hadn't come in he would have played in midfield that season.
Login to get fewer ads

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:00 - Jan 20 with 1126 viewshoppy

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 12:58 - Jan 20 by PhilTWTD

Joe didn't rate Gaardsoe at all as a centre-half. If the West Brom offer hadn't come in he would have played in midfield that season.

Shame that, as he was a lot better as a centre half than those Joe replaced him with...

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:01 - Jan 20 with 1123 viewsRadlett_blue

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 12:58 - Jan 20 by PhilTWTD

He did seem more effective as part of a central 3.

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:02 - Jan 20 with 1120 viewstheblueginger

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 14:31 - Jan 19 by TractorCam

Jason Scotland (although I don't exactly think he was crap, nowhere near as good as expected)
Guriane N'Daw
Frank the Tank
Kevin Lisbie
Nicky Forster
Velice Sumulikoski

Could you count Chaplow, Hunt brothers and Reg in this? (Again I wouldn't, but I'm sure some would)

I liked Scotland as a player, always put the effort in and was a natural finisher. IMO too good to be on this list.

If we had signed him 2 years earlier his time at town would have been a totally different story.
Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:02 - Jan 20 with 1117 viewsCoastalblue

Thetis
Slater
Sedgley (used to love the way his face got redder and redder the more wound up he got)
The other Bent

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:03 - Jan 20 with 1114 viewsRadlett_blue

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:02 - Jan 20 by theblueginger

I liked Scotland as a player, always put the effort in and was a natural finisher. IMO too good to be on this list.

If we had signed him 2 years earlier his time at town would have been a totally different story.

I liked N'Daw. Broke up play & usually gave a simple pass. Was exactly what the team needed at the time.

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:03 - Jan 20 with 1114 viewsPhilTWTD

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:00 - Jan 20 by hoppy

Shame that, as he was a lot better as a centre half than those Joe replaced him with...

He knew we'd struggle and so wanted players who were first and foremost out and out defenders who could play in a back four and who were available cheaply.
Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:04 - Jan 20 with 1108 viewsPhilTWTD

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:01 - Jan 20 by Radlett_blue

He did seem more effective as part of a central 3.

Yes, and he played that system at West Brom as well. He had actually been a midfielder earlier in his career and hadn't long moved to centre-half when he came here.
Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:06 - Jan 20 with 1092 viewstheblueginger

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 22:48 - Jan 19 by britbiker

Are you thinking of Jamie Peters
That could be another thread. Players who's shorts are longer than their legs. David 'leaps like a samon' Johnson. Tabbed etc.

On the current thread how about Ivan Camps. His legs had gone when we got him. But the club made a fortune on curly wigs.

For the shorts list, Ivar Imgamarssun.
Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:08 - Jan 20 with 1080 viewstheblueginger

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 23:13 - Jan 19 by Luk38644

Sito Castro, Jaime Peters and Jon Stead.

I used to love Jon Stead, gutted when Keane got rid of him!

Stead was a hugely undervalued player here, could really do a job in this current squad.
Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:21 - Jan 20 with 1059 viewsBassett_Blue

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:08 - Jan 20 by theblueginger

Stead was a hugely undervalued player here, could really do a job in this current squad.

Plus that overhead kick at Reading - wow!
Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:29 - Jan 20 with 1050 viewsconnorscontract

N'Daw was a class above in the "none shall pass" DM role. He made a huge difference.

I always liked Sito because he was a trier, and went into tackles like he didn't care if he got hurt.

More recently Varney. Not "crap" but a squad player who understood his role and gave all he had. Similarly, Noel Hunt when he came in. Basically I've been desperate for another Shefki to love...

The contrast between them and the likes of Reo-Coker is marked.
Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:34 - Jan 20 with 1045 viewsconnorscontract

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:47 - Jan 19 by GeoffSentence

Sorry man, like the thread and am delighted you liked ALB. But he doesn't count as a crap player. Did you know that in the 38 league games he played for us we averaged 1.58 points per game which, if they had been played over the course of 1 season would have seen us challenging for the play-offs. This at a time when our defence was terrible and we were otherwise mainly fighting relegation.

And for that reason I had to, regretfully, dish out a down arrow.

ALB had one clear technical flaw which I pointed out on here a few times. When saving a shot he would too often palm it back in front of him, rather than away to the side or behind.

It probably meant he had exceptional reactions and so was getting to the ball too early, but I was amazed that it wasn't coached out of him.
Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:45 - Jan 20 with 1021 viewsThrobbe

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 08:16 - Jan 20 by Bluebell

I used to like Sam Parkin but most people thought he was rubbish. Another player bought from a lower league and not able to cope with the Championship.

Just Googled him and I'm amazed to discover he started out at Chelsea and finished up at Exeter in 2014.

Always wanted him to do well, and got the feeling that with a couple of decent games he might have made it. It was heart-breaking to watch his confidence crumble game after game as he realised it was never going to happen.

I always liked tiny Dean McDonald, but we never saw much of him. Looked good pre-season against a Cambridge United team that included about 15 trialists and a cameo from the groundsman* at right back.

As for the largest short/area to height ratio surely Richard Logan trumps Peters.

* his testimonial I think, and he was an ex-player, but still ...

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:52 - Jan 20 with 1000 viewswkj

Samassi Abou i I remember one game where he was such a liability on the ball, the team deliberately stopped passing to him. But god was it fun bellowing out ABOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUU when he came on (all of 5 times) the lad did some how score a goal, and I honestly dont know how
[Post edited 20 Jan 2017 13:55]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:56 - Jan 20 with 979 viewsconnorscontract

Ok, here's one of those "WTF!!! Did he really play for us or was I dreaming it???" players:

Bilel Mohsni. An MMA fighter in a football shirt. Completely unhinged.

Paul Jewell brought some right cases to the club, but surely Mohsni is in a class of his own.

For the record, he squeaks into this thread because I really wanted him to do well for us, but it soon became apparent that it wasn't going to happen.

Still, anyone who can go to Rangers and have a million Glaswegians, from both sides of the divide, going "You need to calm down, son, there's no call for that kind of behaviour" has truly earned their footnote in football history.

Nutter.
Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:58 - Jan 20 with 971 viewswkj

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:56 - Jan 20 by connorscontract

Ok, here's one of those "WTF!!! Did he really play for us or was I dreaming it???" players:

Paul Jewell brought some right cases to the club, but surely Mohsni is in a class of his own.

For the record, he squeaks into this thread because I really wanted him to do well for us, but it soon became apparent that it wasn't going to happen.

Still, anyone who can go to Rangers and have a million Glaswegians, from both sides of the divide, going "You need to calm down, son, there's no call for that kind of behaviour" has truly earned their footnote in football history.

Nutter.

Mohsni was basically Manu Thetis, bt with no footballing skill at all, and plenty of anger in replacement

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:59 - Jan 20 with 948 viewsSwailsey

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:56 - Jan 20 by connorscontract

Nutter.

He could play every area of the pitch as well couldn't he? Or so the legend goes...

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024