Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The case for keeping Mick... 20:38 - Apr 19 with 7658 viewsitfcjoe

...by Marcus Evans

Whilst ticket sales have dropped a couple of k, and therefore there is £1m less in the kitty, why spend potentially another £1m getting rid of Mick and TC?

Yes the football has been bad, but the Championship status was never really in doubt and this has been a terrible season - things surely won't be this bad again?

4 seasons out of 5 when Mick has performed above expectations, is one bad year really worth getting rid over when he is the safe hand.

Appointing another manager is a risk and will be costly, you know Mick isn't going to kick off about transfer kitty etc.

It might be boring for fans, but we spend £500 a year whereas Evans spends £5m a year so can see why he doesn't want to jeopardise Championship status

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The case for keeping Mick... on 20:44 - Apr 19 with 3439 viewshype313

I honestly don't think it was ever in doubt that Marcus would sack him, even though the place was toxic, season tickets are going to be down and we are finishing the lowest in years.

Fact is, Mick doesn't moan about finances, and no one of any credence would look at us without a budget handed to them.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The case for keeping Mick... on 20:45 - Apr 19 with 3428 viewsHerbivore

That sounds about right. Mick sounds like he believes he's staying, I'm hoping that's with the promise of at least a little bit of funding but I won't hold my breath.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The case for keeping Mick... on 21:00 - Apr 19 with 3342 viewsflashblue

The case for keeping Mick... on 20:44 - Apr 19 by hype313

I honestly don't think it was ever in doubt that Marcus would sack him, even though the place was toxic, season tickets are going to be down and we are finishing the lowest in years.

Fact is, Mick doesn't moan about finances, and no one of any credence would look at us without a budget handed to them.

What makes you think he won't sack him?

If something's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.
Poll: Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU or leave the EU?

The case for keeping Mick... on 21:04 - Apr 19 with 3321 viewsElderGrizzly

He's never going to sack him. It will be a mutual consent situation with a nice story both agree on as to why. Reduced payout, Mick keeps his reputation with minimal damage etc

Phil mentioned earlier payout even if sacked would be nowhere near that either.

Mick will go, it's just when and how it is managed. But i agree on your overall point, that Evans might still see him as a safe pair of hands. However, he probably will not tolerate the bad atmosphere/abuse that is apparently leading to him having to take his daughter away from games in tears.

I think Mick has created a scorched earth situation with fans it will be hard to recover from and that will ultimately end it all for him.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2017 21:07]
The case for keeping Mick... on 21:05 - Apr 19 with 3303 viewshype313

The case for keeping Mick... on 21:00 - Apr 19 by flashblue

Read my second paragraph.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The case for keeping Mick... on 21:06 - Apr 19 with 3303 viewsJETPower

Why hasn't he been sacked? Thought you said...
The case for keeping Mick... on 21:14 - Apr 19 with 3254 viewsLuk38644

My only gripe with Mick is the quality of football on show. I don't care what he says or who he signs, I just wish we played better football and found a way to get results playing that way and if Newcastle is a sign of how we're going to play in future under Mick, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but good performances have been too few and far between this season.

I'm at the point where, if Mick goes, fine, get a footballing manager, but if not, fine, because it will hopefully mean Evans is willing to spend a bit.
The case for keeping Mick... on 21:19 - Apr 19 with 3235 viewstextbackup

I can't be bother to go here again. But basically it'll be the same crap again next season, and so on and so on.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Login to get fewer ads

The case for keeping Mick... on 21:21 - Apr 19 with 3209 viewsMach_foreignBlue

The case for keeping Mick... on 21:19 - Apr 19 by textbackup

I can't be bother to go here again. But basically it'll be the same crap again next season, and so on and so on.

And two very underwhelming transfer windows along the way.
The case for keeping Mick... on 21:24 - Apr 19 with 3195 viewstextbackup

The case for keeping Mick... on 21:21 - Apr 19 by Mach_foreignBlue

And two very underwhelming transfer windows along the way.

With the same posts of 'give MM until xmas' then it'll be 'may as well give him until end of his contract...'

Can see it a mile off 😴

The case for keeping Mick... on 21:25 - Apr 19 with 3190 viewsfooters

Because you said he would. Def info.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The case for keeping Mick... on 21:27 - Apr 19 with 3170 viewsMach_foreignBlue

The case for keeping Mick... on 21:24 - Apr 19 by textbackup

With the same posts of 'give MM until xmas' then it'll be 'may as well give him until end of his contract...'

Can see it a mile off 😴

Plus 'stop moaning it's early days' - if we're in the bottom half by the end of August or September.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2017 21:31]
The case for keeping Mick... on 21:28 - Apr 19 with 3169 viewsitfcjoe

The case for keeping Mick... on 21:19 - Apr 19 by textbackup

But can see why Evans will take this approach

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The case for keeping Mick... on 21:34 - Apr 19 with 3121 viewsJimmy86

The case for keeping Mick... on 20:45 - Apr 19 by Herbivore

That sounds about right. Mick sounds like he believes he's staying, I'm hoping that's with the promise of at least a little bit of funding but I won't hold my breath.

Think Mick has changed tact somewhat last couple of weeks. It has changed from considering his position at the end of the season, to him staying and not walking away from his contract.

Either he has already spoken with Evans and has been promised funds, or he is saying he has no intention of walking away and that if Evans wants rid he will have to sack him and pay him off.

Think he is lesser of 2 evils, but this season has been poor and the football has been poor again
The case for keeping Mick... on 21:35 - Apr 19 with 3119 viewstextbackup

The case for keeping Mick... on 21:28 - Apr 19 by itfcjoe

But can see why Evans will take this approach

Worryingly so can I!

The case for keeping Mick... on 21:38 - Apr 19 with 3110 viewshector_clifford

I wonder if we see Evans' intentions for next season in next saturdays sheff weds programme notes.

Poll: Who is your favourite outfield Town player of the 1978 cup winning team?

The case for keeping Mick... on 21:39 - Apr 19 with 3104 viewstextbackup

The case for keeping Mick... on 21:38 - Apr 19 by hector_clifford

I wonder if we see Evans' intentions for next season in next saturdays sheff weds programme notes.

Evans won't be at the game, would be my guess

The case for keeping Mick... on 22:07 - Apr 19 with 3012 viewsnbsiyag

I am reminded of a story told a few years ago by the son of the Rotherham chairman. Emlyn Hughes was having a bad run as manager and the Board called him in to explain why. He said "I can't do any more with those players (meaning please give me money to get new players).

The chairman replied" I see, Mr Hughes. I suppose this means we must now find someone who can. Thank you for all you have done for us and good luck in your next position "
The case for keeping Mick... on 22:24 - Apr 19 with 2919 viewsmonty_radio

The case for keeping Mick... on 20:44 - Apr 19 by hype313

Not sure what you'd think might constitute moaning about finances then if you disallow such as "Derby have spent zillions / Brighton have spent a few quid, haven't they / Mc Cormack, how many millions was it? / what with their Premier players / parachute payments etc. Not to mention the constant "it is what it is" and the "me, I just get on with it" type of remarks.

If he came right out with it and said "Marcus is a nice chap, but he keeps his brass to himself" or worse "how am I expected to challenge when I'm having to buy players Forest Green don't want?" - then he'd have been dismissed next morning.

He drops endless hints and excuses disguised as life is tough, but I'm a contender sort of asides. If you want to hear what "not moaning" sounds like Simon and Garfunkel captured it in a famous song title.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

The case for keeping Mick... on 23:12 - Apr 19 with 2806 viewsKeaneish

Why would ME be spending another 1 million to sack Mick? He's not on a million a year is he? I thought it was £250,000?

Have to disagree on two points. Our Championship status was on real jeopardy given we'd only won 2 games in 17 going into a run of clashes against teams below us and only 5 points from the relegation zone.

Also to say Mick performed above expectations is also inaccurate. The expectation was for him to save us from relegation which he did so it wasn't 'above expectation' - it was the expectation. The next season was a non-event and after 2 and a half years he delivered a play-off position which, while being a good achievement given the money spent, it's no less than I expected when he was given the job. After all, that's why we're paying him top wages. Finishing 7th last year wasn't above expectation, it was below.

I think a lot of people have put their rose tinted spectacles back on since the Newcastle win. Despite it being a fantastic performance and great result, I fear it's going to serve us badly. ME will doubt whether to pull the trigger, some will blindly renew through hope and Mick's ego will kick into gear again - this club needs a change. I don't consider MM a safe pair of hands any more. I've lost all confidence in his ability and this season has shown how much of a liability his own egocentrism can be.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

The case for keeping Mick... on 23:13 - Apr 19 with 2805 viewsbraveblue

£5m a year. Please explain. Deduct interest depreciation etc before replying.
The case for keeping Mick... on 23:27 - Apr 19 with 2772 viewsElderGrizzly

The case for keeping Mick... on 23:12 - Apr 19 by Keaneish

Why would ME be spending another 1 million to sack Mick? He's not on a million a year is he? I thought it was £250,000?

Have to disagree on two points. Our Championship status was on real jeopardy given we'd only won 2 games in 17 going into a run of clashes against teams below us and only 5 points from the relegation zone.

Also to say Mick performed above expectations is also inaccurate. The expectation was for him to save us from relegation which he did so it wasn't 'above expectation' - it was the expectation. The next season was a non-event and after 2 and a half years he delivered a play-off position which, while being a good achievement given the money spent, it's no less than I expected when he was given the job. After all, that's why we're paying him top wages. Finishing 7th last year wasn't above expectation, it was below.

I think a lot of people have put their rose tinted spectacles back on since the Newcastle win. Despite it being a fantastic performance and great result, I fear it's going to serve us badly. ME will doubt whether to pull the trigger, some will blindly renew through hope and Mick's ego will kick into gear again - this club needs a change. I don't consider MM a safe pair of hands any more. I've lost all confidence in his ability and this season has shown how much of a liability his own egocentrism can be.

Mick's salary is around £1m per year that's why. One of the highest paid managers in the league.

Benitez is on £5m if it puts it into context
The case for keeping Mick... on 23:42 - Apr 19 with 2724 viewsflashblue

Please don't worry, people. He will be gone sooner than you think.

If something's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.
Poll: Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU or leave the EU?

The case for keeping Mick... on 00:15 - Apr 20 with 2676 viewsMelford

The case for keeping Mick... on 22:24 - Apr 19 by monty_radio

Not sure what you'd think might constitute moaning about finances then if you disallow such as "Derby have spent zillions / Brighton have spent a few quid, haven't they / Mc Cormack, how many millions was it? / what with their Premier players / parachute payments etc. Not to mention the constant "it is what it is" and the "me, I just get on with it" type of remarks.

If he came right out with it and said "Marcus is a nice chap, but he keeps his brass to himself" or worse "how am I expected to challenge when I'm having to buy players Forest Green don't want?" - then he'd have been dismissed next morning.

He drops endless hints and excuses disguised as life is tough, but I'm a contender sort of asides. If you want to hear what "not moaning" sounds like Simon and Garfunkel captured it in a famous song title.

That's what I've been thinking for a long time. "Look at what XYZ have spent on XYZ, they're throwing money about but I'll just get on with it" Mick is constantly dropping these quotes about how much other teams are spending in comparison to us. He can't be happy with the funding he's getting any more than we are? Do you think his first thought after Murphy left was let's get that lad from Forest Green in?

Mick's been mugged off by Marcus Evans, all the money he chucked at Jim, Keane and Jewell with ***k all return. Norris, Martin, Leadbitter, Edwards, Priskin, JET. Millions spent on crap on a team bottom half at best.
When he gets a decent manager who gets the team moving up the table over the seasons, getting into the play-offs, he pulls the ***king plug. No money for the best manager he has had over his tenure. When you see the kind of players and sums he'd give to previous useless managers and what little he gives Mick, it's criminal. Surely after working together for so long Marcus would trust him to go after the players he REALLY wants, the ones at the top of his list, not the cheap ones at the bottom. Mick has earned the right by now to go into Milne and Evans and say "Get me him, him, him and him and we'll have a good chance of going up" and get the necessary backing.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

The case for keeping Mick... on 01:10 - Apr 20 with 2621 viewshoppy

The case for keeping Mick... on 23:42 - Apr 19 by flashblue

Please don't worry, people. He will be gone sooner than you think.

That will be a contract extension then...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024