Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That McDonald's ad 23:23 - May 15 with 17352 viewsjeera

Has finally attracted criticism.

How the feck could anyone think that was a good idea in the first place? How stupid.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

That McDonald's ad on 15:38 - May 16 with 2182 viewsSteve_M

That McDonald's ad on 15:37 - May 16 by ThePitBoss

It seems that more people than ever need a Safe Space.

Yeah, young kids who've lost a parent.

They should man up.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

That McDonald's ad on 15:45 - May 16 with 2161 viewsmonytowbray

That McDonald's ad on 15:20 - May 16 by taximan

i lost a parent last year

the advert is fine

i'm not from the "trying to be offended" generation"

thankfully

So you grew up with both your parents and they died in old age.

You're using your experience of eating apples to eating pears here.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

That McDonald's ad on 15:45 - May 16 with 2158 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

That McDonald's ad on 15:45 - May 16 by monytowbray

So you grew up with both your parents and they died in old age.

You're using your experience of eating apples to eating pears here.

Or eating fillet-o-fish?

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

That McDonald's ad on 15:46 - May 16 with 2156 viewsmonytowbray

That McDonald's ad on 15:10 - May 16 by GlasgowBlue

I don't think anyone is telling people what should or shouldn't bother them.

But as I said earlier, If I let everything bother me that is referenced in an ad, TV show or movie, all in the name of entertainment or profit, then I wouldn't switch the box on or go to the pictures.

People are quite rightly entitled to be affected by this ad. But other people are also affected by things you aren't raising. It's life unfortunately. The alternative is living in a bubble.

I don't see many TV adverts out there latching onto emotional trauma to sell completely unrelated products.

I do see a lot of people failing to grasp the point though.

TWTD never forgets…

That McDonald's ad on 15:47 - May 16 with 2132 viewsBluebell

That McDonald's ad on 15:10 - May 16 by GlasgowBlue

I don't think anyone is telling people what should or shouldn't bother them.

But as I said earlier, If I let everything bother me that is referenced in an ad, TV show or movie, all in the name of entertainment or profit, then I wouldn't switch the box on or go to the pictures.

People are quite rightly entitled to be affected by this ad. But other people are also affected by things you aren't raising. It's life unfortunately. The alternative is living in a bubble.

I agree with this.

Recently soaps such as Coronation Street and Emmerdale have covered baby deaths and terminations. Anyone who has experienced that will have been distraught at some on the scenes but I haven't seen any complaints only praise that it was all done very tactfully and emotionally.

I haven't seen the McDonalds advert as I said earlier so can't honestly comment on it but films and television often show upsetting things and if you don't want to see them, you would not have to watch television or films at all.
[Post edited 16 May 2017 15:54]
That McDonald's ad on 15:50 - May 16 with 2111 viewsmonytowbray

That McDonald's ad on 15:47 - May 16 by Bluebell

I agree with this.

Recently soaps such as Coronation Street and Emmerdale have covered baby deaths and terminations. Anyone who has experienced that will have been distraught at some on the scenes but I haven't seen any complaints only praise that it was all done very tactfully and emotionally.

I haven't seen the McDonalds advert as I said earlier so can't honestly comment on it but films and television often show upsetting things and if you don't want to see them, you would not have to watch television or films at all.
[Post edited 16 May 2017 15:54]

Story telling in TV programs is a bit different to exploiting things in an advert. Soaps and TV (much like art) tackle difficult real-life situations and provide social commentary on issues. The advert in question is literally using something sensitive to sell burgers. It's exploitation. Plain and simple.

TWTD never forgets…

That McDonald's ad on 15:51 - May 16 with 2098 viewsRyorry

That McDonald's ad on 14:45 - May 16 by Dolly2.0

Of course that's not the ideology. As i asked, where have they said this is the best way?

If you read their response on the BBC link earlier...

"We wanted to highlight the role McDonald's has played in our customers' everyday lives - both in good and difficult times," the spokesperson added."

Whether you like it or not or whether it's appropriate or not, that's what it does. It doesn't in any way suggest this is the best way to deal with the issue.

Do advertising companies ever consult psychologists or other medics when producing ads like this? For most people, an effing burger is an effing burger; trying to promote something, via a 2 minute ad (it might work as a serious 2-hour theatre play) as trite and unnecessary as an effing burger meal on the back of something as serious and complex as a young child's bereavement of a parent just seems such a hugely out of synch yawning chasm of imbalance, it's not surprising many people find it crass and distasteful.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

That McDonald's ad on 15:52 - May 16 with 2100 viewscaught-in-limbo

I see this as another missed opportunity by the ad agency.

McDonalds still haven't told the world that since they did away with polystyrene packaging their cartons are both tastier and healthier than their burgers.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Login to get fewer ads

That McDonald's ad on 15:53 - May 16 with 2088 viewsmonytowbray

That McDonald's ad on 15:51 - May 16 by Ryorry

Do advertising companies ever consult psychologists or other medics when producing ads like this? For most people, an effing burger is an effing burger; trying to promote something, via a 2 minute ad (it might work as a serious 2-hour theatre play) as trite and unnecessary as an effing burger meal on the back of something as serious and complex as a young child's bereavement of a parent just seems such a hugely out of synch yawning chasm of imbalance, it's not surprising many people find it crass and distasteful.

I work in marketing too Dolly and even here as an office the overall thoughts on it was it was a p1ss poor decision to launch this advert.

TWTD never forgets…

That McDonald's ad on 15:54 - May 16 with 2081 viewsThePitBoss

That McDonald's ad on 15:50 - May 16 by monytowbray

Story telling in TV programs is a bit different to exploiting things in an advert. Soaps and TV (much like art) tackle difficult real-life situations and provide social commentary on issues. The advert in question is literally using something sensitive to sell burgers. It's exploitation. Plain and simple.

Yes, ITV only show soaps as a 'social commentary'. Nothing to do with ratings whatsoever.

Do Cadbury chocolate still sponsor Corrie?
That McDonald's ad on 15:54 - May 16 with 2074 viewsCheltenham_Blue

That McDonald's ad on 15:05 - May 16 by monytowbray

Read my post on page one. It's easy for someone who cannot relate to sit there and tell people what should and shouldn't bother them.

I did and you're being overly simplistic by applying your and your girlfriends own life experiences.

What I see in this advert is a kid that lost his dad before he can remember him, asking his mum about him, not liking the answers and then gradually hearing stuff that means they are alike after all, which makes him happy.

Not everyone who loses a parent suppresses their emotions or has mental issues because of it, I'm sorry if your Dad and your girlfriend did, truly; but thats not McDonalds fault, they aren't exploiting grief to sell some burgers, no more than crime books exploit murder victims to sell copies, its just a book telling a story of fiction, much like this advert

Try not to let everything upset you. You'll be happier.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

That McDonald's ad on 15:58 - May 16 with 2052 viewsGlasgowBlue

That McDonald's ad on 15:50 - May 16 by monytowbray

Do soaps tell stories to raise social concerns or do they use social events to get ratings in the name of entertainment?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

That McDonald's ad on 15:58 - May 16 with 2052 viewsBenters

That McDonald's ad on 07:01 - May 16 by jeera

What you banging on about you silly little man?

Stupid comments on every other thread.

What is the point of you?

Every other thread ?

I must try harder !

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

That McDonald's ad on 15:59 - May 16 with 2051 viewsmonytowbray

That McDonald's ad on 15:54 - May 16 by Cheltenham_Blue

I did and you're being overly simplistic by applying your and your girlfriends own life experiences.

What I see in this advert is a kid that lost his dad before he can remember him, asking his mum about him, not liking the answers and then gradually hearing stuff that means they are alike after all, which makes him happy.

Not everyone who loses a parent suppresses their emotions or has mental issues because of it, I'm sorry if your Dad and your girlfriend did, truly; but thats not McDonalds fault, they aren't exploiting grief to sell some burgers, no more than crime books exploit murder victims to sell copies, its just a book telling a story of fiction, much like this advert

Try not to let everything upset you. You'll be happier.

"They aren't exploiting grief to sell some burgers"

Apart from the advert in question, literally exploiting grief to sell burgers.

TWTD never forgets…

That McDonald's ad on 16:02 - May 16 with 2029 viewsmonytowbray

That McDonald's ad on 15:54 - May 16 by ThePitBoss

Yes, ITV only show soaps as a 'social commentary'. Nothing to do with ratings whatsoever.

Do Cadbury chocolate still sponsor Corrie?

I don't think you have the brain capacity to tell the difference between a TV show and advertising.

The difference between tackling an issue in art or story is different to doing it and bunging a sales message into it is huge. Does the Cadbury's ad at the end of Corrie saY 'Have you been effected by the issues in this show? Buy some Chocolate!" No, it doesn't.

You're arguing with a former film student who works in marketing.

TWTD never forgets…

That McDonald's ad on 16:04 - May 16 with 2011 viewsmonytowbray

That McDonald's ad on 15:58 - May 16 by GlasgowBlue

Do soaps tell stories to raise social concerns or do they use social events to get ratings in the name of entertainment?

A bit of both, but they usually apply some taste to it.

What next, a beaten spouse goes to Burger King to cheer herself up after the her husband gives her a black eye? A man dying from cancer has a brief moment of happiness as he slowly and painfully dies because a Domino's Pizza delivery showed up?

TWTD never forgets…

That McDonald's ad on 16:08 - May 16 with 1980 viewsRyorry

That McDonald's ad on 13:16 - May 16 by taximan

even the thickest of people can pass that !!!!!!

it doesn't matter if it was 10 years ago, to fail the simplest of test 4 times is quite incredible

not as smart you like to think you are

thank christ there is a filtering process to keep dumb ar$es off the road

it makes the 80k miles per year that i do that little bit safer

It should be manifestly obvious to anyone with a modest number of braincells that we are all different, we all feel and react differently to all sorts of things, have different strengths and weaknesses, and there are many different kinds of inteliigence - mathematical, footballing, emotional, literary, political, intuitive, conceptual etc etc.

A pity you seem unable to recognise that we all need each other and our differences to effectively function as a reasonably harmonious society, both in practical and emotional terms, and be a bit more tolerant?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

That McDonald's ad on 16:08 - May 16 with 1977 viewsThePitBoss

That McDonald's ad on 16:02 - May 16 by monytowbray

I don't think you have the brain capacity to tell the difference between a TV show and advertising.

The difference between tackling an issue in art or story is different to doing it and bunging a sales message into it is huge. Does the Cadbury's ad at the end of Corrie saY 'Have you been effected by the issues in this show? Buy some Chocolate!" No, it doesn't.

You're arguing with a former film student who works in marketing.

Can I borrow your Safe Space for 10 minutes please?
That McDonald's ad on 16:10 - May 16 with 1962 viewscaught-in-limbo

That McDonald's ad on 16:04 - May 16 by monytowbray

A bit of both, but they usually apply some taste to it.

What next, a beaten spouse goes to Burger King to cheer herself up after the her husband gives her a black eye? A man dying from cancer has a brief moment of happiness as he slowly and painfully dies because a Domino's Pizza delivery showed up?

You don't seem to be considering the fact the child in the ad never knew his dad and his mum only has warm memories of him and seems to be happy about her son asking such questions and bringing back happy memories for her. There's no pain being exploited here - not that I can see.

But I agree with you that the subject matter is not a wise choice.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

That McDonald's ad on 16:12 - May 16 with 1943 viewstaximan

That McDonald's ad on 16:08 - May 16 by Ryorry

It should be manifestly obvious to anyone with a modest number of braincells that we are all different, we all feel and react differently to all sorts of things, have different strengths and weaknesses, and there are many different kinds of inteliigence - mathematical, footballing, emotional, literary, political, intuitive, conceptual etc etc.

A pity you seem unable to recognise that we all need each other and our differences to effectively function as a reasonably harmonious society, both in practical and emotional terms, and be a bit more tolerant?

i see nothing wrong with the advert

it is my point of view which i am fully entitled to have

unfortunately a certain poster sees this as an opportunity for an argument

the same poster has once again over stepped the mark imo
That McDonald's ad on 16:13 - May 16 with 1932 viewsmonytowbray

That McDonald's ad on 16:10 - May 16 by caught-in-limbo

You don't seem to be considering the fact the child in the ad never knew his dad and his mum only has warm memories of him and seems to be happy about her son asking such questions and bringing back happy memories for her. There's no pain being exploited here - not that I can see.

The exploitation is the fact it's directly linked to selling burgers. What does any of that have to do with burgers?

TWTD never forgets…

That McDonald's ad on 16:14 - May 16 with 1963 viewsmonytowbray

That McDonald's ad on 16:08 - May 16 by ThePitBoss

Can I borrow your Safe Space for 10 minutes please?

Yes, you can have it next time your white male privilege ego gets hurt.

TWTD never forgets…

That McDonald's ad on 16:14 - May 16 with 1962 viewsGlasgowBlue

That McDonald's ad on 16:13 - May 16 by monytowbray

The exploitation is the fact it's directly linked to selling burgers. What does any of that have to do with burgers?

The more I read this thread the more I conclude that it's not the subject matter you object to as much as the product being sold.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

That McDonald's ad on 16:14 - May 16 with 1958 viewsBenters

That McDonald's ad on 16:12 - May 16 by taximan

i see nothing wrong with the advert

it is my point of view which i am fully entitled to have

unfortunately a certain poster sees this as an opportunity for an argument

the same poster has once again over stepped the mark imo

Dont worry he is sitting at home with a pair of pants on his head and pencils up his nose ..

Wibble .

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

That McDonald's ad on 16:15 - May 16 with 1950 viewsgiant_stow

That McDonald's ad on 16:10 - May 16 by caught-in-limbo

yeah, but don't forget you're arguing with a former film student who works in marketing.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024