Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Come on own up 21:02 - Nov 30 with 4531 viewsgtsb1966

Who said they weren't interested in this world cup because of the corruption, human rights issues, time of year ,and wouldn't watch much of it, if any, but are watching a game every day. I'll hold my hands up.
Come on own up on 21:10 - Nov 30 with 3066 viewsKropotkin123

I said I'm not that interested in it due to it being in the middle of the season.I said if England do well, I'll probably be more invested. I've been travelling while this has been on, so I've watched a couple of games in my hotel room. I've pretty much done what I said I would. Normally I'd be watching pretty much every game. I'm nowhere near that. I still haven't even seen the highlights from England vs Wales.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Come on own up on 22:35 - Nov 30 with 2897 viewsGlasgowBlue

I couldn’t get my head around a World Cup held in the middle of a season whilst Town were still playing. I’ve ended up watching most games.

Although one of my daughters did ask me and her mum why we hadn’t done the traditional family sweepstakes draw. So the enthusiasm isn’t 100%. Seems weird watching the games indoors. The Workd Cup should be a beer and bar-b-a event.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Come on own up on 23:00 - Nov 30 with 2871 viewsPlums

I've stuck to my guns so far and haven't even seen any highlights. It's been oddly liberating.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Come on own up on 23:11 - Nov 30 with 2848 viewsCoastalblue

Come on own up on 23:00 - Nov 30 by Plums

I've stuck to my guns so far and haven't even seen any highlights. It's been oddly liberating.

Same, not as difficult as I expected. I read the match reports and that's about it. I realise most people will think it's weird and I accept I make no difference in the overall scheme of things but sometimes we just have to do what we think is right.

One of my more boorish work colleagues was gob smacked when I told him I wasn't watching any games the other day, shook his head like I was a mad man. maybe I am?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Come on own up on 23:21 - Nov 30 with 2828 viewsjeera

Strange to downvote this post.

Man has his principles and if someone else feels guilt for that it's not his problem.

To the OP, speaking for myself I've watched the England games. I say watched, I've had them on but as the USA game was so dull for the most part it was more on as a formality than any enjoyment.

Had the first Wales game on too.

Other than that not shown a great deal of interest tbh. Culmination of things but suppose the dampeners were there before it even began.

In some ways I wish I was more interested.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Come on own up on 00:22 - Dec 1 with 2764 viewsCrayonKing

Yea. Guilty as charged.

In my defence I do a lot of matched betting so I have a financial interest in most matches, but even so I've watched and enjoyed nearly all of it.

What has bothered me is how the punditry and commentary has changed since it started. To begin with there was a lot of talk of human rights, FIFA corruption etc, and there was a feeling that this World Cup should be treated differently. A few good group games later and suddenly the narrative is all positive - "great crowds", "fantastic stadia" (never a mention of the poor sods who died building them). Seems like the sportwashing is going well after a shaky start :(
Come on own up on 06:46 - Dec 1 with 2640 viewsBlueBadger

Watched England-Wales in the pub the other night, mainly because I was in there for a crib match and it was on. Can't say as I've missed it over much. Not going to lie, it would be a harder miss if it was going on in June, though.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Come on own up on 08:16 - Dec 1 with 2497 viewsElephantintheRoom

Not remotely interested and have only watched bits of the England games so far. Might watch some games when it actually becomes competitive.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

Come on own up on 08:19 - Dec 1 with 2489 viewsibbleobble

Watched as much as I can since it’s been on. Had no interest in the lead up to it but also no interest in a moral crusade against it after the fact given it’s futility. Time to act to make any meaningful change should have happened years ago. I respect those who choose not to watch it but I’ve barely looked at national football since it begun and have been quite absorbed and interested in seeing how Middle Eastern and North African nations have faired given the conditions.
Come on own up on 08:22 - Dec 1 with 2469 viewsDarth_Koont

The two aspects aren’t mutually exclusive in fact they’re entirely connected.

Why are people watching? Because it’s the World fecking Cup.

Why are people also complaining and highlighting the human rights/corruption? Because it’s the World fecking Cup.

Pronouns: He/Him

Come on own up on 09:27 - Dec 1 with 2392 viewsusm

Ive watched one truly live game so far - Eng v USA
Recorded the other Eng games and watched them slightly delayed.
Did watch a bit of the Germany - Spain game in the hope that Germany would get knocked out but that's about it - Ive not even bothered with the highlights.
I just can't get in to it, it seems so dull and very few people around me seem bothered about it either.
Shame - the WC is dead, long live the WC.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Come on own up on 09:41 - Dec 1 with 2373 viewshoppy

I've watched the England games - well, the first was on, while I was still working, so wasn't avidly watching. The Eng v USA game we watched at the California Club, and then the Wales game just watched at home. I haven't really seen much of any other games.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Come on own up on 09:44 - Dec 1 with 2369 viewsblueasfook

Can't say I have watched a lot other than the England games no.

Watched odd bits of other games but just not feeling that "tournament feeling" to be honest. Probably to do with a WC being in November/December.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2022 9:44]

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Come on own up on 10:49 - Dec 1 with 2285 viewsChurchman

I said I would watch the England games, but I’ve had a lot of the other games on too, if not necessarily watching them. It’s very much individual choice and respect those who have not watched them on principle. I’ve quite enjoyed some of the matches, if I’m honest. But not all.

The tournament is still a disgrace. It should never have been held there or at this time. I hope some lessons are learned, but being cynical I doubt they will be given money talks.
Come on own up on 11:02 - Dec 1 with 2262 viewsEssen_blue

watching every game of the world cup, I am enjoying it. Not listening to all the Ipswich podcasts or reading so much till England go out.

I will watch Group G on the TV and Ipswich on the laptop with the sound on ifolliow.
Come on own up on 11:05 - Dec 1 with 2244 viewsKitman

I admit to regarding the whole thing with complete indifference prior to the thing starting, but never declared a veto or a cherry pick of games to be watched. Seen a fair number of fixtures so far. Very weird having a winter WC though. Still struggling with that..
[Post edited 1 Dec 2022 11:10]

Blog: [Blog] Interesting Start to the New Season

Come on own up on 11:41 - Dec 1 with 2190 viewsWeWereZombies

I knew I would watch some of it but am surprised on how wrapped up in it I am getting now that the group stage is drawing to a close, very interesting to see individual players excelling (Mbappé especially) whilst others have yet to shine. Also intriguing that so many of the Brazilian team play in the English Premier League whilst Spain, Germany and France have a much higher percentage of players who currently ply their trade in their respective home leagues.

Still have doubts about hyped up crowds with few 'genuine' supporters but it is, perhaps, a sign of a globalised and evened up game when you have supporters in robes and other non-Western clothes making up significant proportions of attendances. Also an encouraging number of female supporters, especially given the reputation Arabic nations have for subjugation.

All that being said, I had an email from Qatar Airways the other day and went to unsubscribe, turns out I could only do that by deleting my account (I flew to South Africa with them in spring 2013 and they have kept the account running ever since). After deletion I got a questionnaire asking why and I replied that the World Cup had reminded me about human rights and construction deaths.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Come on own up on 11:42 - Dec 1 with 2190 viewsBigCommon

I've watched the England games....And highlights of any shocks, like Argy and Germany losing group games . Plus, looked at decent goals on iplayer.. But that's it..
Doesn't feel like a WC to me.. Just "some footballl" that's on.. Nothing to do with human rights issues, or other politics. ..
Unless I've got a dog in the race, ie, Ipswich or England, I can take it or leave it...
Come on own up on 13:50 - Dec 1 with 2086 viewsringwoodblue

Ok, I own up.

I said before the tournament I would only watch the final but I’ve ended up watching some of a few matches and only one whole match (Eng v Wales). As far as WCs go, it’s Ok but slightly ruined by the time of year and the location.

If there was an EFL game on at the same time as a WC match (even an England match) I’d rather watch the former than the latter.

Poll: How do you feel about the EADT digital subscription?

Come on own up on 15:34 - Dec 1 with 2040 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Same here.

Sad not to watch England, feel it's sod's law that they will go all the way, but won't watch even if they make the Final.

Amusing to read the OTT comments on Southgate and England following the USA game with an air of detachment as I hadn't watched the game in question.

It will be over soon.

More importantly, we have a massive game coming up tomorrow night. Every win we can get during this injury crisis is a real bonus.
Come on own up on 15:39 - Dec 1 with 2036 viewsmonytowbray

Most I've seen was 5 minutes of a game lastnight, because I just so happened to be facing the TV whilst in the pub talking to my mates.

I just don't care. If you are political and believe in human rights, why bother? If you love football and are fed up with the corruption of Fifa, why bother?

I think part of the appeal is the WC/Euros are largely every other Summer we get some football. If it interrupts normal season I have as much time for it as the Pizza Cup. Club over country, etc.

That being said, I wouldn't watch it if it was on in the Summer either.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Come on own up on 03:16 - Dec 2 with 1887 viewsKropotkin123

Who was interested for 3 mins when Germany and Spain were going out to Japan and Costa Rica? My wife for sure, texting me about football isn't her norm. Normally it is dog pics.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Come on own up on 07:26 - Dec 2 with 1817 viewsMattinLondon

I’ve watched as much as possible and it’s been an entertaining WC so far and I’ll try and watch as much of the knockout matches as I can.
Come on own up on 08:19 - Dec 2 with 1760 viewsVaughan8

I've done what I've thought I would.

I've watched the majority of late games and highlights of anything interesting during the day (i.e. big teams losing)

I don't think I could watch much more. Even the other evening I had a "break".
Come on own up on 08:21 - Dec 2 with 1758 viewstextbackup

What a hero

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024